Home Selling in Tinley Park>Question Details

bkayhaugen, Home Seller in Salem, OR

I am wondering if I need to do something different since my house has been on the market for 5 years and has not sold, HELP! What do you suggest?

Asked by bkayhaugen, Salem, OR Thu Sep 19, 2013

Answers

11
The market is better now, so surely you will have better success if it is priced right and looks right.
Many homes were on the market for years.
Sounds like you need a real estate professional on your team.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
Update your home in the style that is popular on TV and in the magazines. People no longer want to move in and do rehab immediately. Make sure paint and floor coverings are neutral. Kitchen and bathrooms are the most important. No more oak cabinets. Why not paint the cabinets a neutral color or white. Or you can be more bold if your kitchen has more light and paint them a gray color. Your furniture should also be neutral. If you have old outdated furniture, get rid of it and put either nothing in or borrow something or buy something else. Sincerely, a redesigner
BK in Salem OR,
After five years of attempting to sell, to begine wondering at this point is bewildering.
OK, fives years ago was 2009 and sales were difficult.
One can only wonder if you have adjusted your strategy from that time. That is 1,825 days on the market. A buyer is guaranteed to ask, "What's wrong with this house?"
-
Let assume a typo and you question should read.. 5 MONTHS.
What is needed is a link to your current listing so a real review can take place.
Of course, it is important to know HOW your are attempting to sell your home
* DIY
* FSBO
* Flat FEE Broker
* Discount Broker
* Exclusive
* Proportional
* Limited Service
* Full Service
* First Look
What you choose WILL make a difference.
-
GIve a little more information.
Best of success.
I'm thinking you meant to have written "months" - not "years!" Are you a for sale by owner? If so, you should already "know" what the "something different" is. If yours is a high-end luxury home which has been listed with an agent for the past five years, you've become a "fixture" in the market place and agents are passing you by, for reasons known only to you. Five years - no sale. The question here is - "Do you really want to sell?"
I agree with all of the prior answers and I'm sure you are aware "something" will need to change...Not for sure on the Oregon market, however Ilinois has really been in an upswing. Definitely speak to your current broker AND interview new agents. I'm sure one of them will have some great ideas. Good luck!
I suggest a price drop. If its been 5 years, your over asking.
Na...what's one more day, LOL. Just kidding. Can you give us more information on your situation? Thanks.
You need an experienced realtor with a proven marketing plan that will get the right buyer in there. The biggest factor why houses don't sell is they are anywhere from 10-40% overpriced. Buyer's in this market are very intelligent and only care what the value of your home price is compared the closest comps.

I would love to talk to you about helping you sell your home.

Please call me at (708) 262-4506.

Thanks, Brent Eckert of The Eckert Group
My guess is the only two constants are you and the house. One of you has been making some bad decisions.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
I answer questions about financing real estate based on my decades of experience dealing with mortgage underwriters. I do not offer legal or tax advice, if you need answers from an attorney or CPA find one knowledgeable in your local market.
Web Reference: http://jamessimms.com/
Even when the market was at it's worst you could still sell your house. Tinley Park is doing quite well right now. Your agent should be able to offer you a market review that will determine what price you need to be listed at for the market to bring you an offer.

You should also update the pictures in the MLS and make sure you have enough to 'paint the picture' to an online shopper (which is almost everybody). And, make sure the property is easily shown. In other words, verify the system by which the listing brokerage or your agent uses to schedule showings. You want to use the most efficient professional system you can to get back to showing agents quickly through several different communication channels. (Are you being notified of showings via text, email, and phone? Is the showing agent replied back to in all forms?, etc. etc.)

Once you reassess, reprice, and relist all of the various web-activity reports you are receiving along with activity report from the MLS and showing activity should be telling as to whether or not you nailed it. Look for a dramatic uptick in detail views in the marketing reports.

Tony Mitidiero
RE/MAX Synergy
15607 S Harlem Ave.
Orland Park, IL
708-259-3734