Question Details

Slk76, Other/Just Looking in Long Island, KS

I am trying to sell my house on my own. Within the last month, I have had one couple come to look at the

Asked by Slk76, Long Island, KS Thu May 1, 2008

house twice and each person bring both parents with them. When they were there last week, they made comments as if they were going to buy the house (asking about how to get village permits, extra paint, etc.) but I still haven't heard anything. Is there a way to give a gentle push or find out when (or if) they are interested / going to make an offer? Thanks!

Answers

3
Sure. I assume you got their contact information. Just give them a call. Don't come across as "Well, have you decided whether to purchase?" (From your reference to a "gentle push," sounds like you wouldn't do that, anyway.) But just ask them what other information they'd like to have. Don't ask them IF they need additional information (for instance, about paint, permits, etc.); that gives them the opportunity to say "no." Keep it open-ended: What other information would they like? And make sure you ask what information their parents would like. They're major players in your sales effort.

Then, stay in contact weekly. Maybe alternate a phone call and a written note. After a while, that may seem a bit too overbearing, but you do want to regularly remind them of your property. And each contact should provide some new information. Maybe information about the village (upcoming events), or a little note on something about your house.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
The key to selling your home is Price, location, condition of your home and marketing. You want to have buyers looking at your home first 2 weeks on the market to get all the buyers who are interested in your house. All 4 factors I have listed above must be researched carefully. Marketing is very important factor because most people are looking for homes in the internet and calling to get more information on the property on line. It is crucial to price the house right the first time. The house must be in a good location. The condition of the home must be perfect. Marketing needs to be done right so you don't miss any buyers.

I would be direct with the buyer who came in to see your house and ask them if they have any interest in your home.
The rule of thumb in most markets is that you need 10-12 showings to get one offer. In slower markets that might be double.
I'd call them and ask them what they plan to do.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA