Home Selling in Pacifica>Question Details

rca888, Home Seller in Pacifica, CA

I am thinking of selling my house in Pacifica. Should I fix it up first before putting it in the market.?

Asked by rca888, Pacifica, CA Sat Apr 13, 2013

I'm thinking of getting a new roof first and improve the curve appeal of my house.
Does it matter?
Also how does one pick the right realtor?

Answers

8
Depends--therefore why not simply invite a few local agents from different realty companies and ask for a cma, comparable market analysis, review the data; also ask opinions as to any necessary renovations/cosmetic repairs, etc. By doing such legwork, you can make an educated decision as to what need to be done, have an idea of list price, and at the same time choose an agent to work with...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 14, 2013
Hello RCA888,

Improving the curb appeal will help yield better on your returns than a new roof. Do those thing to your home that help the buyers picture themselves in the property. Items like Landscape front and rear, fresh interior and/or exterior paint and upgrades to the kitchen and baths all increase both the value of the home and the interest from buyers. A good Realtor should not only be able to guide you on these matters but have the contacts to get the job done.

Picking a Realtor isn't hard at all, you just found one.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Michael

MKaprielian.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 13, 2013
Depends on the condition of the house, what you are thinking about doing, and the price point of your property.

Pacifica is getting hotter as people push further and further out from the city. We just had a client put in an offer about 10% over asking price on a place in Vallemar and wasn't close, so I would get whatever you plan to do done asap.

In addition to owning the company I know a lot about construction and remodeling. Aside from many rehab projects that we've sold I just finished a year long gut job on our Pacific Heights home, so I'd be happy to come take a look and give you some advice on what to do and how to best spend your money.

It's a good idea to get recommendations on brokers, but make sure you ask people why they recommend them. Also, recognize that you're going to be spending a lot of time with whoever you choose - make sure it's a good fit, too.

Know that there is a huge difference in marketing and skillset from one agent/broker to another, and even in a great market you need the best because things can go awry unexpectedly. Here is a great example:

We recently listed a house in Lafayette - we work the East Bay as well as the city and peninsula - set an offer date and had several offers come in, but we also got a letter from a neighbor making some ridiculous claims about damage being done to his property. All the offers went away. Despite the ongoing problem with the neighbor, we were able to get it in contract and bring it ti closing even with all that and a $50K low appraisal.

Lance R. King
Founder-Managing Broker

King Realty Group
Cell: 415.722.5549
Email: lance@king-realtygroup.com
License# 01384425
I wouldn't remodel it, but I would do the curb appeal and declutter it and maybe some fresh paint. Interview 2-3 agents and go with your gut feeling.

DO NOT go with the agent who promises you the most? Go with the agent who has the best marketing plan to get you the highest and best price.

Also, make sure to ask for referrals from past clients.

Tap
http://www.DavidTapper.com
http://www.TeamTapper.com
Tap@cbnorcal.com
650-403-6252
I agree with Sue. Selecting a local Realtor is really important. The market will dictate what repairs are really necessary. If your house is a dump it will sell like one. If it's clean you will have a much better chance of getting overbids and the only problem you will have is getting your home to appraise for the purchase price. That's a problem we all would like to have and a good local Realtor can easily solve that issue.

Make sure you interview at least 3 Realtors and test their understanding of the local market, complications in the lending arena and their knowledge of the tax impacts of your transaction.

PS - Pass on the roof unless it leaks. Flowers and a freshly cut lawn do much more for curb appeal.
Here is a post that may be helpful:

Set the Stage for Maximum Returns
http://ebpublishing.com/index.php?option=com_content&vie…

As for locating a great Realtor? Interview a number of them - there are lots of options on this site - and then pick the one that has the best track record (number of units sold) and best marketing plan (including staging your home for free, professional pictures, enhanced profiles on all the main websites and so on). You want the absolute best web presence possible to attract the highest number of potential buyers. Ask to see samples of web-marketing - have them walk you around what you are doing online to promote other homes for sale - you'll be amazed at the differences. Get references and call them.
Hi- It depends what your house really needs.Does your roof leak or does it just look bad? If it is cosmetic like carpets and paint I would say yes. The curb appeal does make a big difference to people. The nicer a house is, obviously the more money you will get. There is an example right now in Pacifica. A 3 bedroom one bath, 1040 sq feet listed for $549,000 fixed up just sold for $618,000. A 2000 sq ft house that is immaculate but dated has not sold yetl for $689,000. Does that make any sense? Not really.

The way you pick a REALTOR is an easy thing to do. First you should always choose a local REALTOR. Someone local knows what is happening in their area ( for example the house for $618,000 I know because I know the agent who sold it- Important.) Knowledge of the local regulations and mandatory government standards and how to deal with them are known by Pacifica agents. Really alot of it is based on personality more than anything. How do you get along with that person, do they have a good track record, can they sell my house for the best possible price? Call a few people and interview them, then make your decision. Stay local.
Dear rca888,

I agree with Michael. The curb appeal is an important part when it comes to selling a house. If your roof is leaking, then it is better to fix it if you have a budget to do so. It is more important to disclose the issues (if there is any) to the possible buyers when you sell your home. It may be a better idea to consult with a real estate agent before you start working on your house. He/She can take a look at your house and guide you on what needs to be done to maximize the value of your home.

As for picking the right realtor, meet and talk to them, and find one with whom you feel comfortable and can trust.

I hope this helps.
Moco
mocostreets.com