Home Selling in Clinton Hill>Question Details

Joebredau, Home Seller in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn...

I am selling my 800 sq,ft, 1 BR co-op in CH with occupancy in May 2011. I can sell it with furnishings or without. The difference may be an

Asked by Joebredau, Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, NY Wed Oct 13, 2010

additional $10K, but furnishing have a value of $20k. Do I sell off the furniture or sell it with??? price range with is around listed at $340,000 without.

Answers

10
Joe, Sell the unit without the furniture. Les complicated to figure the value of the coop without. The Furniture have value to the beholder. Use it as a negotiating tool or sell it separately after you make the deal on the coop
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 14, 2010
More than likely, you will not be able to get the same amount for the furniture if you try to sell the unit with the furniture included - almost like using a used car trade in when purchasing. I would not include it with the sale until a buyer expresses an interest in the unit and makes an offer. Also, if the appraisal is tight - which is almost always the case today, it will certainly not help the deal go through. You'd have to make a side deal for cash for the furniture. You might be able to use it as a bargaining chip though to get your price. I would recommend speaking to your listing agent.

Ralph Windschuh
Associate Broker
Certified Buyer Representative (CBR)
Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES)
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties
Top 2% of Century 21 Agents Nationwide
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 14, 2010
Most buyers prefer to have the property delivered to them vacant. Your furniture will not give the coop a higher value. I believe you should concentrate on marketing the property vacant. I also suggest that when showing the property you can always ask the potential buyer if they are willing to keep the furniture, if they agree you can negotiate a price.
Joebredau,

Your most important goal should be marketing your co-op so that you can receive the highest possible offer from an approved buyer, apart from any furniture you have. Some buyers prefer that a unit should be delivered vacant, unless the buyer indicates there are specific items they may consider purchasing from you. Furniture can be negotiated with your buyer, but they may have their own furniture and your tastes may be very different. As mentioned in previous posts, you can always store your furniture and sell it later.

David Rogoff and Bonnie Chernin
Fillmore Real Estate Branch #19
Brooklyn NY 11210
917-593-4068 - David mobile
646-318-5031 – Bonnie mobile
e-mail: davidrogoff@Fillmore.com
Joebredau
Try to sell it without the furniture, most people like to see a clean slate. As your agent I would addive and try to get the highest offer possible. The key is how to work on marketing strategies.
Fajardo Delacruz
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Century Homes Realty Group LLC
Direct Line: 347-932-0609
It's very rare indeed that a buyer will want your furnishings. The only exception might be antiques in a pre-war with original details.

A broker who is rather famous for her considerable success once advised me never to mention furnishings even if the seller is eager sell them. She said it's far too easy for a good deal to die owing to a silly disagreement over a piece of furniture.

You best bet by far is to stay mum about the furniture until you have both signed a contract of sale for the apartment. Then there's no reason at that point why you can't also say, "By the way, if you like the dining set, it's for sale."

Don't let the tail wag the dog! ;) Your focus needs to be on getting that apartment sold.

Karla Harby, VP
Charles Rutenberg Realty
kharby@crrnyc.com
Dear Joebredau:

The answer to your questions depends on you as it is truly a matter of personal preference. If your not sure where you are going, how do you know if your furniture will fit? If you take the furniture with you you have to pay for movers and deal with the arduousness of that process. Also, the furniture is not new at this point, it is used so the value is reduced, plus how do you know if the buyers will have the same taste as you. If you force the furniture on the buyers it may actually serve as a deterrent to them buying.

You have to think about all of these things and draw your own conclusion as to what is best for you. Normally what I would advise my sellers is to worry about selling the place first and getting the highest offer. After that you can figure out what to do with the furniture be it taking it with you or selling it to the buyers (or someone else).

Are you already in contract? Do you already have a buyer? If you need help selling I would love the opportunity to help you. I have two offices in Brooklyn, one of which is located at 53 Douglas Street right off Smith. Please contact me if I can be of further assistance. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
Joe,
Hi, It depends how attached to the furniture you are. The buyer may already have his/her own furniture or not like what you have. If you can't move with your furniture hold out selling until you have a buyer in contract. Offer them the option to buy and if you can't make an agreement try selling then. Good luck and if there are any further questions please don't hesitate asking. I can offer you a free market analysis as well!!

Corey Wasserman, Associate Broker
Bergen Basin Realty
718-763-4110 (o)
917-560-2615 (c)
Try without the furniture--keep in mind that people's tastes do vary, why limit yourself in finding a buyer who will apprecaite your taste/furnishings--also do keep in mind that when setting a value, one needs to be aware of comps--recently sold similar units in the immediate area, afer reviewing the data a determination on value can be made.
I would help you to sell it. Do not offer furniture for now.
Svetlana Borovskiy
High Class Realty sb Broker/owner
347-439-8683