Brac, Home Seller in 07722

I am selling my house but my pool need resurfacing. Should I spend the money to resurface the pool?

Asked by Brac, 07722 Mon Aug 3, 2009

Answers

8
Brac,

What did you decide to do? What did your Realtor tell you to do?

Maybe your Realtor does not have any knowledge of pools.. ? (like below) But, again, Yes, resurface it will sne dthe signal to potential buyers taht you maintain your home and you care for your property.. If I were to walk into a home as a buyer.. and noticed the pool needs to be resurfaced I would feel that you were leaving me a headache.. did not care about your home and could care less about who was moving in.

You need to think of the buyers mindset also, think about moving (which you will be doing) and the unpacking, painting, and all that stuff... now put the pool re surfacing on top of it.

Now think about the same situation and the new homeowener can break his butt all day doing that stuff.. but at least he can suit down and admire his nicely maintained pool.

Resurface the pool.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 4, 2009
Yes, it would be wise to resurface or offer a credit immediately in the listing agreement.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 3, 2009
My advice would be to have the work done. Most buyers today are looking to move in and enjoy their new home. Unless the listing price you put on the home reflects the work needed to the pool, etc. This would be something to dicuss with your realtor you are listting your home with. Good Luck!
This is probably a little late, but my friends ended up getting custom pool resurfacing done before selling their home, and it actually increased the value a little as well as increasing the appeal.
A pool in need of repair can be a real "negative factor" for buyers...especially those that don't have much pool background. Spending the money necessay to resurface it may be a tough pill to swallow but it should also make a big difference in the home's overall appeal and sale ability.....

Most buyers will do a pool inspection along with the home inspection once they are in contract. If the pool is in disrepair and needs work they will expect you to fix it or offer a sellers concession to cover the cost after closing. To expedite the sale and closing of your home I would recommend getting the pool resurfaced.
Hi Brac.

Why does the pool need to be resurfaced? Is there a structural flaw with the pool, such as a leak, or are you having it resurfaced because the pool walls and floors are stained from age? I would not suggest if it is merely an aesthetic consideration, unless your home is selling for over a million dollars.

If I know more details about your home and the appropriate facts about the pool I would be able to give you a better answer. You want to minimize any potential loss, and depending on the details there would be different ways of going about it.

Best

Artyom and Natasha
Rogov Team
(908)216-5066
(908)839-5995
rogovteam@gmail.com
Selling prices are lower, high inventory in a lot of markets, it is hard to say without further details.
What does your marketing agent suggest? They should know your competiion.

My Market I would resurface, because of reasons stated above. I would not want a buyer to walk away.