Home Selling in Brigantine>Question Details

dawn, Other/Just Looking in New Jersey

I am selling my home myself just put the signs up I feel I am asking a low price any ideas to bring in buyers

Asked by dawn, New Jersey Mon Aug 25, 2008

This home has a great landscaped yard in a wonderful neighborhood. 2 decks off the back w/views of the Brigantine Bay and Atlantic City skyline. Inside there is a rec. rm w/gas fp,living rm w/cathedral ceilings, dining rm,eat in kitchen and a den. Enjoy this home for year round or take advantage of the price and have it for a beach getaway! Being offered below appaised value. I want a quick and easy sale. 609-266-0064 or 609-705-9291 FSBO

Answers

10
Dawn
I admire people that can sell their own home without professional representation.
You should know a couple of key facts
NAR conducted a survey of home sellers. 86% eventually list with a Realtor. 5% sell to someone that they know. 5% sell to someone they do not know.
The other side of the coin are buyers. Another survey shows that buyers first see the home they buy with a Realtor...90% of the time. Why? Because when buyers shop in most cases the buyer's agent works for "free".

So by selling without professional representation you are effectively omitting 90% of the buyers.

So it might not surprise you that homes sold without professional representation sell for, on average, 16% less than homes sold by Realtors.

What should you do?
You may be able to sell on your own. if so, great.
I recommend interviewing with a couple of Realtors, then you run the numbers and make the call. If you do opt to list, at least you'll have started the process.

You should know that homes sold within the first 30 days on the market sell closest to asking price...

Good luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 25, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Hi Dawn,

How are you making out?
Please update the Trulia community...

Cathy C.
Hi Dawn, success will come with the right Price and maximum exposure to potential buyers. Statistics prove out that today well over 80% of buyers first find the home they buy online - if that is true, and I know it is, then your signage is probably not going to do the trick. Understand what you are up again - inventory levels are high, to sell you must be prominately displayed online and via traditional channels or you don't stand a chance. That said, no amount of exposure will cure a pricing problem.

First order of business, get the price right. How? You need a good pricing analysis based on the facts of your market and comparable inventory. And then it comes down to marketing, ie getting the word out to potential buyers.

You need an agent Dawn - a good one. The market is tough - achieving success today takes the best effort and cooperation of the seller and the best resources he/she can command.

Good luck to you!

Jeannie Feenick
Search and connect at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Your house sounds very nice. First and foremost think about your goals- what do you want to accomplish and by when? Have you done any research of what has sold on the market? In addition there are a lot of factors that come into play when you are going to sell your home:
1. How will you market it? Signs and flyers are a start but it is important to be out there everywhere so that all potential buyers see your property. I know someone previously mentioned that you could get intouch with the local board. That is a great start but you would have to spend countless hours emailing them your home over and over again. You could choose to send the brochure to the local offices in your area, but it is nore likely and easier for a realtor to go on MLS (Multiple Listing Service- the database of homes for sale) than to search for a listing via flyers and emails.
2. What will you do when someone is parked outside ready to see the house and you are at work? A Realtor will be able to make sure that all of your potential buyers are able to see the proerty so that you dont"t miss out on a potential sale.
3. When you do get an offer, how will you proceed ith a contract? Contracts of sale involve a lot of information. Do you know how long it will take to close a loan? Do you have a relationship with a loan officer who will help you understand all the stipulations in the commitment letter to the buyer. What happens if the commitment isn't delivered on time? How long will it take to get a complete title search and do you know what to do if there are unexpected judgements you have to deal with. Now many of these things can be taken care of very easily, epcially with the help of an agent.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but selling your home is a lot of work! You don't want to put yourself in a situation where something comes back to haunt you after the sale- using a realtor will take care of that burden for you. My point is that Realtors deal with these situations on a daily basis, they are professionals who have experience in the home buying and selling moreso than the average person. Would you try to cut your own hair? I would hope not, because no matter how hard you try to get it perfect there are bound to be some parts that are too short. Bottom line you need to be protected! In addition you want to make sure that the company you choose will give you the perfect "cut". Good luck to you no matter what you choose and if you need some help feel free to call 609-412-4839.
Hi Dawn:
What is the price? Have you done any market comparisions for that area of Brigantine? Do you know what has sold or better yet, what is under contract to sell? You need to sell your home fast, the Brigantine market is not moving fast, however it is picking up. A property that is priced right will sell fast. I am an agent in Brigantine with Prudential Fox & Roach. Offer a commission to the brokers office of at least 3%, 4% would be better. The agents on the Island have many of our own listings to sell and we have no better way then all the advice you received already. There is currently 645 properties for sale in Brigantine today. Price sells a property. Get that right and your home will be sold.
Along with the other great suggestions you recieved, I'd suggest contacting the Atlantic City and County Board of Realtors on Rt 30. See if they can give you a list of member offices in Brigantine, Margate, Absecon and Ventnor. Offer REALTORS bringing a ready and able buyer a commission. Include in your contact with those offices particulars about the house (much of what you listed above but include bedrooms) and lots of pictures.

Good luck, if you need further info about home sales in Brigantine and the surrounding area contact me.
As mentioned Annette in her previous comment, be ready to spend hours in web submissions (Ebay, Yahoo, Trulia, Zillow, Backpage, Kijiji, Google... Use Postlet, Vflyer and the like to use online syndication to the greatest extent. Some sites don’t syndicate (like CL). I think as a FSBO there are additional sites you should advertize. Use MLS only deals/sites as well as you need to list in your local MLS. When you list on your local MLS, mention that you are willing to pay a certain percentage to an agent who can bring you buyers.
Create a single property site and with a good SEO program, you should get over 200 unique visitors/month (Listingdomain)
Also you need to advertize on your local paper and hold open houses. Create flyers and drop them everywhere you go including a flyer box on your property.
Email your flyers to everyone you know.
Don’t forget signs and more signs and more signs...
Offer great incentives such as a home warranty. If you have a small boat, you might want to include it in the deal…
Don’t forget to stage your house properly (de-personalize, de-clutter and make it shine...).

I would also suggest visiting my blog on my website http://(www.YourHouseFast.com), I am currently blogging about signs.

Cathy C.
Hello Dawn. Sounds like a very nice home. I would recommend that you offer to cooperate with agents, which means that you'll offer to pay a commission to the agent who brings you an offer. You can still represent yourself. I would also recommend that you pay for a flat fee MLS only listing to get the exposure on the MLS. Hold open houses and deliver flyers to real estate offices. Good luck to you.
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in Newcastle, CA
My answer is that, you need to make sure you are all over the internet. There are a ton of websites for free you can advertise your listing on. The percentage is high now for internet advertising versus local. My advice you should advertise both locally and nationaly. This sounds forward but ....make sure every where you go you wear a pin that markets your property and you should drop off a flyer every where you go.
This is a very difficult market to sell homes in general especially by owner. I would suggest that you keep in touch with the top selling agents in your area; I am sure they will answer questions and give you ideas along the way. The market is changing weekly, so keep in touch with professionals.

One suggestion I can give you is to talk with a couple mortgage professionals. It is good to have information for perspective buyers so they know that they "can" get financing on your home. There are several creative programs out there that with your pricing and a knowledgeable loan professional, you may want to put financing options on the back of your home listing flyer?
Web Reference: http://www.lendethics.com