cmanion, Home Owner in Fremont, CA

I am selling my condo which has an HOA lien on it. I intend to pay the lien at closing but will it delay the closing ?

Asked by cmanion, Fremont, CA Mon Jul 28, 2014

Answers

4
Hello cmanion,

Your agent and escrow officer should be working on this matter for you, because it COULD delay closing.

However, I have had many sellers in the same situation, and it's worked out fine. Please have your escrow officer and Realtor talk to your HOA and make sure that the HOA knows that the deficiency or amount owed will be paid off at the close of escrow. That way, the HOA will know that you are working on the issue. The HOA might then be more willing to slow down the process of putting a lien on the home, etc...

Once your escrow officer orders the HOA sales package, your escrow officer should have a demand from the HOA that addresses this matter, the amount owed, etc. You will be able to see what the HOA needs to have done/completed or paid before closing by that document.

If it is something that is bothering you, I encourage you to talk to your Realtor and to your escrow officer and to ask for a copy of the HOA demand as soon as this item is available. Your escrow officer and Realtor should know how to proceed after receiving this document.

Huey Nguyen
No it won't delay the closing if you order the estoppel from the HOA early which will breakdown all fees owe and will avoid any surprises at the end.
I don't know what an estoppel is. Do I get that from the collection agency for the HOA?
Flag Mon Jul 28, 2014
Discuss this with the association as well as the title company as the lien will have to be cleared.
It might delay closing. The lien will have to be removed in order to close the deal. My advice would be to pay the lien off ahead of time so you have clear title.