April Nichols, Home Seller in Marlboro, NJ

I am selling a house in Marlboro NJ. It has been about nine months and no luck. I have a beautiful home and I need the right person to market my home.

Asked by April Nichols, Marlboro, NJ Mon Aug 1, 2011

I need more exposure to more people out there who are looking for a 5000 square foot home in a prestigious area> Please offer me your suggestions. Just putting my home on a bunch of the usual real estate websites is not doing the trick.

Answers

19
John Sacktig’s answer
"Well, I wanted to wait for all the vultures to pounce and then respond."

That is funny Annette!

So what is worse? A vulture that goes into a kill immediately, or one that comes from another town, tries to slip into the crowd, talk about everyone else and try to steal the whole thing after they make a scene?
Hi April,

Great House! I have seen it myself an I am surporised it is not sold!.

Marketing and contacts are key in getting your home sold. I am a local expert andI have success in selling homes in this size and price range. I have different marketing techniques than some others, which we can discuss in detail upon your call.

You have come to a site asking for advice and as long as YOU contact a Realtor directly to speak about your home while it is currently listed, we can speak with you regarding your home without any ethics violations related to your current listing agreement.

John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
John is right, when you are ready, give him a call at Orange Key!
Flag Tue Sep 18, 2012
Have to agree with those that have highighted the importance of pricing - exposure is key, but nothing will cure a pricing issue. So start there, and then talk with your agent about the internet strategy to be sure that your exposure is maximized.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 2, 2011
These days, with a few clicks of a button homes are instantly fed to literally hundreds of websites. Yet, the mls still sells the majortiy of homes.
Very few homes don't sell as a result of poor marketing.
Virtually all homes don't sell because of pricing.
Even houses in poor condition and a poor location will sell if priced right.

I'm going through this myself so I am very sympathetic to how much this reality sucks. Can't control the market. You can only make sure that your house shows as best as it can and adjust the price to where buyers find it more attractive than the many other properties out there that you are competing with.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 1, 2011
The simple answer is... there is no simple answer!!

Each and every home comes with their own special way to market it properly.

In ALL cases that means over exposing the home on the internet. That is where 98% of today's homebuyers start their search!

In some cases, that might be trying to figure out where your target homebuyer will come from and finding creative ways of putting the home in front of them. Will they come from New York? Maybe advertising there. Will they come from a certain community in your town (moving up), perhaps you will want to target that neighborhood.

In other cases, your agent might want to appeal to the attention of the other agents working in your area. There are many ways to do that.

Communication is key! Interpreting feedback and understanding objections is very important. If potential buyers who saw your home didn't make an offer, did they buy something else? Why did they choose that home instead of yours. Sounds simple, right?

April, no matter what you do, you should explore your options. Meet with a few agents. If for no other reason that to hear different opinions and learn what different agents/brokerage firms bring to the table!

Please feel free to reach out if you would like a more personal explanation of how to properly market a home in today's challenging market place!

JoAnna
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 1, 2011
Hi April,
You didn't mention in your question if your home is listed with a Realty Agency. It is a difficult task to try to market a home on your own. When you list a home with an agency, not only do you have the agency and its sales people to market your home it goes to MLS and is viewed by 1000's of agents. In addition to that, the right company has many marketing tools it can use, including the internet. If you would like to hear about a forward thinking, fastest growing company in the area, give us a call at Orange Key Realty. We have an office right in the town in Freehold. 732-863-6969. Or call me direct to discuss your many options:908-239-1202
I also live in the area.
We take care of you from the listing to the closing table!!
Dana Lewis
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 1, 2011
So April - you asked this over a year ago........if you're still here, on trulia, reading this - since this question for some reason has been resurrected.............might as well ask......any luck?
I know Marlboro very well and I am listing one very shortly for around 1,200,000 which will go quickly.
give me a call and ill explain how I do things and why it works.

Matthew Simone
All Towne Realty
732.320.6299
Realtor/Associate
Hi April
It is up to all prospective sellers to ask for a marketing plan before they list their home. Every home is different and your marketing plan should reflect that. If you want your home advertised somewhere other than the internet ask your agent to do so. As a rule of thumb if your home is on the market , is competitively priced ,in good condition and is easily accessible for agents to show it the buyers will come. Marlboro homes are selling and at good prices. If you are getting a lot of showings and no offers it is not the marketing it may be that your home may need to be updated or staged. If you are not in a financial postion to do so then adjust your price to reflect the needed improvements and that should make a difference

Best
Joan Congilose CRS, GRI, e-Pro
Broker/ Sales Associate
RE/MAX Central Manalapan
(732) 972-1000 x 364.
Hi April,

Would love the opportunity to walk thru your home, give you an honest opinion and creative ideas to market and get your home sold! Please give me a call @ 732-239-3469 - no hard sell or obligation to list with me, just some free advice! Hope to hear from you soon!

Thank You,
Lorraine Tracy
732-239-3469 / LTracyHome@gmail.com
http://www.ltracy.remax-nj.com

Outanding Agents. Outstanding Results.
RE/MAX Landmark Realty
Well, I wanted to wait for all the vultures to pounce and then respond. Since you are currently still listed, you do need to be the one to contact us. I take an assertive, productive approach to getting my listings sold. I would sincerely enjoy the opportunity to sit with you. You should interview at least 3 Realtors before deciding who is the right one to get your home sold and get you the results you need. I look forward to hearing from you.
From the pictures online I can see that your home is a gracious colonial style in a upscale neighborhood. The interior appears to be contempory. Get rid of the mirrors, paint the black moldings white and if there are wood floors under the carpeting, rip out the carpets. Contempory homes are difficult to sell. You are on your fourth realtor in five years. You have made the necessary price reductions. You need stageing and someone to give you advice that you need to hear. Tom 732-995-7767
Hi April,
Your home is presently with your 4th listing agent who has a very good reputation. You are marketed at a great price for the location and size of your home. Obstacles to overcome, the rear yard photos are very limited and there are a lot of trees, garages are under ground, kitchen is white which 50% of the buyers like and50% don't. It looks like house short on furniture, you may want to do some staging ( furniture rental). Master bath is large ,could you some updating.
Just closed one 2 weeks ago on Bayview Terr, @$1,485,000I and have 3 under contract Walnut Drive $999,000,
Woodcliff Blvd $499,000 and one near you on Rutledge for $949,000. (2 Listings and 2 buyers transactions.
This year I have over $20,000,000 closed and under contract.
Good Luck,
Dear April

I am a Realtor with Remax Central in Manalapan and specialize in Manalapan, Marlboro and Freehold. In this market just putting your home on a bunch of websites probably won't get it sold. There is much more to the home selling process including: pricing your home correctly (preferable from the day it hits the market), professional photos & virtual tours that entice the buyer, follow-up & feedback from your agent on showings of your home, access to buyers to view your home - i.e. is it difficult for the buyers agent to make an appointment to show your home?, aggressive marketing online as well as aggressive programs to get your home sold. I welcome the opportunity to interview for the job should you decide to interview agents. I work with many Marlboro buyers - I invite you to visit my website at http://www.alltopmarlborohomes.com.
I understand your frustration. In this market a tech-savvy agent is needed to market and promote a home for sale. Please view the current market report below for more information on the prices in the Marlboro area. You might find this information helpful. Once your listing expires, I would be more than happy to show you my marketing plan.
Hi: I am Bernard Teichman, a realtor with Century 21 Action Plus Reaty. I live in Marlboro and would be happy to interview for the job - as your realtor. If you wish, give me 15 minutes of your time to explain how I would market your home.

Thank you:
Bernie
732-610-9508
Web Reference: http://www.bteichman.com
Is your home listed with a real estate broker? If not, thats the first step. A luxury property needs luxury attention. I have great experience dealing with high end homes. Contact me if you would like to meet with me to develop a marketing plan to sell.
April - price is the key, but if you use a system where agents call a 1-800 number to set appointments and there's no feedback, you won't know until it's too late all of the issues a buyer may have with your home. Then you'll be asking a price too high for too long. You must adjust to the market and adjust price accordingly. You sound like you need to price it more accurately. An experienced agent can help you do that and get it sold quickly at the best price for you. i can help after your current listing is over. - John
Review your pricing, and adjust accordingly if necessary; keep in mind that a home is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what the seller needs, or potential buyer can afford to spend; market conditions do matter as does the immediacy for the transaction to take place; if you're not priced competitively, it doesn't matter how may web sites show your property; most current buyers are educated about market conditions....