Home Selling in Pittsburgh>Question Details

David, Home Buyer in 15101

I am selling a house and the buyers are asking for the lot survey. I do not have one. I suggested to ask at the appropriate office in the township.

Asked by David, 15101 Wed Mar 24, 2010

Am I legal required to get this info for them or is it the buyers responsibility/option?

Answers

14
Doug Caye’s answer
I would suggest highly that they get a survey WITH STAKES. It is not your responsability to provide this information. If the lot is under an acre it will cost about 450. This should have been stated in the agreement as one of the contingent periods. If they have passed this period if it is expressed in the sales agreement they are still obligated to purchase..

Whos using an agent in this transaction?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 19, 2010
Ummm.... yeah. Perspective buyers get the survey. Are you listed with a Realtor? If so, get with them and they should confirm this.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 24, 2010
In any transaction I have been involved in (thats alot) The buyer is usually the one who gets a survey if the seller cannot provide one. If you are the buyer I suggest you spend the extra money and get one WITH STAKES!!
If you are the seller this would be a courtesy and will cost you about 475.00

Doug-
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 24, 2010
If the buyer wants a survey it usually is his responsibility to get it and pay for it. Or, if might be a good negotiatin point if you pay for it. But, typically, the buyer pays for the survey...
good morning david...the cost of the survey is the buyer's responsibility..not your's...regardless of how your buyers are purchasing the property...the title company will require a survey otherwise called a mortgage report in order to offer a title poilcy without standard exceptions....even if they may be purchasing with cash...a stake survey isn't required and is more expensive than a mortgage report....
best regards....
bob mcclure-
first preferred mortgage-
southfield, michigan-
this reminds me... situations like this are why Real Estate Agents have jobs and should be hired ;) when you have plumbing issues, is it easier and faster to fix the problem yourself or call a plumber?
It is up to the purchaser to have and pay for the survey. Many times lenders say they have done a survey but it is what we call a sight survey. This is done by the lender to make sure the buildings are not encroaching on anyone else's property. A proper survey is when a surveyor comes to the property and places pins at the corners of the lot.
Your buyer's lender will probably require a survey. if you don't have one they cost about $350 to $400 here.

Sumner Lymburner
Broker/Associate
San Antonio, TX
Web Reference: http://www.sumnerteam.com
David
I would ask you first "what does your Realtor recommend"?

Second I would suggest looking at other similar sales in the past few months, read the marketing remarks, what did they say about surveys?

Normally the buyer pays for any investigations and inspections.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
If you're selling in pittsburgh you are not legally required to supply a survey, that is a negotiable aspect of the contract.
The township office will have a plot plan but it's not a survey. If the property is in Allegheny County the buyers can check the map from the assessment page and get lot dimensions by calling the County since only the square footage is listed on the website. The agreement of sale spells out the responsibility of who bears the cost of the survey. If required by the Title Company to prepare an adequate legal discription of the proprerty or a correction to the description then cost is paid is paid by the seller. Any survey desired by the buyer or required by the lender is a cost paid by the buyer.
If the mortgage company is requiring a survey in order to provide the mortgage to the Buyer, then it is the responsibility of the Buyer to pay for a survey to be done. If the Title Insurance Company cannot issue good and marketable title to the Buyers of your property without a survey, then it is the Seller's (your) responsibility to pay for a survey of the property. That has always been my understanding of the survey requirements.
It has always been my experience that it is the Buyers responsibility to get a survey if you do not have a survey to provide. If you have an agent listing your home they can advise you further on that issue.

Doug Rees
David
As stated, if you do not have one, it is your choice if you want to do it or let the buyer know that they are welcome to do it at their expense if it is important to them.

Good Luck!!!
Web Reference: http://www.di4homes.com