Home Selling in Rockaway>Question Details

Eric, Home Buyer in Rockaway, NJ

I am relocating to CA in the new year. Should I list my house now or after the new year?

Asked by Eric, Rockaway, NJ Fri Dec 4, 2009

Also, any recommendations on realtors for a sale in White Meadow Lake?

Answers

15
PS Just one other thought..........if you have some repairs that will take a few weeks to complete, just know that you can list the home (once you select an agent) and have the listing say: "No shows until..........", or "Showings begin.............." .

We frequently use a "delayed showing date" as a way of getting the home on the MLS, but giving the seller a chance to complete any work they are looking to do. This way the agents are aware of it...and can let their clients know the home will soon be available for showings.

Just an idea to help you put the parts of the real estate puzzle together!
Once you select an agent, they can guide you as to what is in your best interest.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
Eric, by now you have gotten a variety of opinions... there is no right or wrong opinion...as they are just opinions.

If your head is spinng, what I think you need to concentrate on is whether your HOME is READY for the market. That is more important than rushing to get it listed this week or next week.

The actual lising is the "curtain going up" on the show. You want to make sure you're ready for that.

So..take a walk around your home..make a list of what you think needs to be done, and implement getting those items done before you expose your home to the buying public. As the saying goes, you only have 1 chance to make a first impression.

While there are certainly buyers still looking over the holidays, many (like the 3 I am currently working with) choose to use their weekends getting ready for the holiday, and put their buying visits off till after the first of January. This can work in your favor , as you can use this time productively, and get your home spiffed up, and ready for sale.

If your home is already "perfect', then you need to spend some time finding the right agent. That may take a week or two..so I suggest that waiting till just after the new year isn't a bad thing. Don't feel pressured to rush and get it done Monday (by the way, the NJ/PA/NY, tri-state real estate convention is being held this coming week in Atlantic City, so a number of agents may be out of the office)!

Best wishes................I don't cover White Meadow Lake, but I'd be happy to give you some ideas on what to look for in an agent, and also, if you need one, a referral to an agent in my company who does handle your area.

Good luck.......and have a happy holiday!

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewjersey.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
This question requires qualification ; Do you need to, or just want to list it? If you can afford to wait a year, I probably would, but it depends on the price, the current condition, your ability to carry 2 mortgages (to eliminate a contingency on a new home, if any), and or any outside details I cannot see through this website.

As far as Realtors go, I am a referral agent with personal and professional connections in White Meadow lake. Please contact me anytime here, or on facebook (see web reference).
Eric, I just sold a home yesterday in your area. Now is the time with the first time homebuyers.serious buyers are out there that's why we were able to sell a great house in White Meadow Lake. Stage it and get it on the market. Don't hesitate to contact me. My husband and I are both agents and can help you
Charlene Nagel
201-842-1279
hello, Eric!
How are you doing?
Your questions is veryn interesting, and there are so many opinions how many people are thinking about it.
On one hand it looks like this time of the year is dead if talking about real estate, but from my personla experience (13 years) I have noticed, that I always meet new clients in December. This year is not an exclusion. So, my advice: yes, market your home now.
If you didn't choose any Realtor, yet, let's talk.
Yelena Tsuladse
Broker / Owner
ADVANCED REALTY GROUP
Morristown
973-843-0053
973-652-1372 - cell
Hi Eric, find yourself a great realtor and get your home on the market. For all the reasons previously mentioned, it makes good sense. Price it properly and hope that a relocating employee - like yourself - will be your buyer. While statistically it is slow time in a 12 month cycle, it is a strong period for relocation moves. And as you well know, relocation buyers are terrific - serious, motivated, ready!

Jeanne Feenick
"Unwavering Commitment to Service"
Find success at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 6, 2009
Dear Eric,

In my mind there are 10 reasons why not to wait and to list NOW during the holidays -

1. "Winter Prospercts" are more serious buyers - why would they go out in the cold to look at homes otherwise?

2. Most homes look better during the holidays.

3. One of the highest precentages of "Listing sold" to "Listing taken" occurs during this time of year.

4. You may get more money for your home now because there is less competition - all the other sellers think it's not a good time to sell....

5. Buyers have more time to look at homes during holidays, especially during vacation.

6. January is the biggest transfer month and you want to your home to be on the market to capture that crowd.

7. By selling now you can have a delayed closing or extended occupancy in case you need it till the begining of next year.

8. When you sell in the winter you have an oppurtunity to buy in the spring when all other home owners think it's time to put their home back on the market.

9. You may have less showings, but from more qualified buyers.

10. Corporate transferees who need to buy a home now, can't wait until spring - just like you.

I would agree with Debbie and Jefferson that if your home is not in "home selling showing condition", you need to take a little time to put it together before puting it on the market. Both my partner and I are Accredited Staging Certified and work hard with our sellers putting their house together prior to showing them to potential buyers. You can see samples of our work on our website under before and after http://SharonandKarenRealEstateNJ.com or call us for further information.

We have sold several houses in your area and would love to be considered for the job. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by inviting us for an interview. If you already made your choice, we wish you the best in both your sale and the new journey in CA.

Have a wonderful holiday season,
Sharon and Karen - Your Real Estate Connection.

Prudential New Jersey Properties
Sharonandkaren@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Sharon C. 201.738.3158
Karen C. 917.294.0356
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 6, 2009
You need to do a little homework. When are you moving to CA? Be specific with that answer. I would choose a realtor to market my home, and discuss with the realtor the various aspects of selling my home. Good questions for your realtor: how long are homes in my area on the market ,please provide a CMA, what is the best time for selling in my area, how can I aggressively price my home so it will sell, what do I need to do to my home to make it competitive. Once you start down that path, the realtor will be able to fill in any additional questions you might have.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 6, 2009
If Ian is correct and prices in White Meadow Lake are decent then I wouldn't say to wait. When are you leaving for CA? Are you leaving before spring?

If you wait until the last minute to list you may be rushed into taking a low offer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
Everyone's got an opinion so let me share mine.

Get several REALTORS in to look at your property, then go look at a few other properties that will be your competition.

You'll find out if your house needs some cosmetics, and be more comfortable throughout the sale process.

Once you've done the work that's needed to bring your home up to the top of the list of comparable properties (PRICE & CONDITION), then list it.

The idea is to be the new, best listing...so make sure it's as good as it can get when you put it on the market!

Good Luck...and another NJ resident leaves! Sorry to see you go!

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Realty - Atlantic Shore
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
Eric,

Would there be a personal reason or benefit for not listing the property now?

A factor that is often overlooked is that the process of listing a home and implementing an effective marketing plan is one that requires several weeks to implement. The paperwork anf posting on the local MLS can be done in a day or two but an effective marketing plan goes far beyond this and takes time.

If your plan is to wait until after the first of the year.....the reality is you can almost plan on not having a completed marketing plan in place for 3-4 weeks.....February.

Contrary to what you may have heard....buyers DO look at property during the holidays.

Best wishes,
The Eckler team
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
As a present resident of, and having grown up in White Meadow Lake, I can tell you that you are best not to wait. Our community has always offered good value in a nice location, and subsequently there are always buyers for WML. We sell homes there all year round. The advantage of listing this time of year is that you get less "looky loos." In other words, you may get less traffic, but you will get more serious buyers. There is also a shortage of good homes for sale in WML right now. If you have some essential elements in demand in the community, you may have a nice advantage. I'd always be happy to let you know your odds, and I'm probably just around the corner. Let me know, and I'd be happy to help guide you no matter who you choose to list with. Hope that helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
Hi Eric,

Definitely not now. You could consider listing in mid Jan at the earliest. The really hot time to list is usually the beginning of March, when the Forsythia start to bloom.

Debbie brought up a very good point - you have some time so use it very effectively - to completely de-clutter. Throw out and donate everything you don't need, store everything else that you don't need, paint any walls that need painting, clean it top to bottom and stage it up with pillows and scented candles.

Also start interviewing sellers agents. You want a really REALLY good one. Not just any schmuck that has a license and can list you via MLS. Were it me - I'd find the top producers at a few agencies, interview them all and then pick the one that you would get along with and do a great job.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
Hi Eric
I wouldn't wait till Spring, but unless you're ready to list this week, I would wait till just after the New Year, and list the first week of January.
You can take this time to interview a couple of agents, evaluate marketing plans and price suggesitons, spruce up your home where needed, and get it ready for its debut on the market.

I have 2 bits of advice: 1. Declutter ! 2. Price it right !

I wrote a blog you might find helpful titled : "Sellers famous last Words - Selling Myths"....it's here on Trulia, listed on my profile page ...............

Good luck with your move............enjoy the beautiful CA climate!
Debbie Rose
prudential NJ Properties
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
Hi Eric,

The prevailing wisdom is to market in the Spring. However one advantage to listing now is much lighter competition since so many houses come on in the Spring due to the prevailing wisdom.

I run hotsheets every morning and I can tell you that over the past couple of months, the rate of new listings in Rockaway has been way, way down.

The downside is marketing during the holidays. However, if your plan is definitely to move out West and you are focused on that goal, I would de-emphasize the holidays and get the house and yourself ready to sell.

As far as Realtors, I recommend myself of course, but you should interview several since it costs nothing to find out how each of us will market your home. We are not all the same, I will guarantee you that.

Furthermore, pricing is so ridiculously key right now that it is important to get it right from the outset. If you like, give me a call and we can discuss it further!

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Member, Worldwide ERC
Licensed Realtor NJ
Licensed Appraiser NJ & NY
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Agent of the Year 2008
Agent of the Year 2009
Owner: Sands Appraisal Service, Inc.
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Search the Garden State MLS: http://www.marcpaolella.com/SearchMLS
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009