sesamechic, Home Seller in 08816

I am ready to list my home in Central New Jersey. What is the commission range that I should expect to pay to my realtor.?

Asked by sesamechic, 08816 Tue Sep 25, 2012

Answers

10
When looking at all the current listing data, you will see that commission in EB ranges from 5% - 7% given the Realtor and what is presented to you in the listing presentation.

My advice is the same to all. Call in three realtors and see what they have to offer you to sell your home, then make a decision that is comfortable to you. You need to "see" exactly what your realtor is going to do for you to sell your home and be comfortable with your decision in your selection. The commission rate is not always the deciding factor in achieving your goal in getting your home sold. You can pay 7% be overpriced and not sell and you can pay 5% and be overpriced and not sell.

I would say to have a market analysis done and see what you are really looking at in your home sale, the discussion of commission will follow in suit.

As an East Brunswick resident and expert in our local market, give a call and I can prepare a market analysis for you and supply information on how Orange Key Realty can get your home sold!

John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
Good advice to call in 3 agents to interview - certainly commission is an important part of the equation but as important is what the agent will do to EARN it. Remembering that you pay nothing unless your home is sold, what is critical is that the agent you hire will do a great job to market your home among agents and buyers and help you sell at the highest price the market will bear. Look for "how they work", work ethic and experience, honesty, commitment to service and responsivness. Take note of their analytic skills in preparing market and pricing analylsis. Remember that the business is primarily done online today so don't get distracted by a bricks and morter pitch. Regardless of what you are fold, most of their parking lots are empty or close to it, as buyers rarely wander into a physical offcie these days. Your buyer is far more likely to find your property online so work witih an agent that will position you very well there.

Though a low commission may not represent low effort on the part of the agent, the fact is it costs money to do a good job. Paying a bargain rate for failure is not a good deal in the end at all. Time lost is generally money lost, so take care in making your agent choice.

My recommendation is to hire the agent that offers the best marketing strategy and proven results at a fair price.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
sesamechic,
Call at least three agencies in your area and ask them to get the answer you need. Be advised that the lowest or highest commission does not denote what kind of service you may recieve. You need an agent who can help you get your home sold. This is a tough market and a great agent is worth their weight in gold.
Sesa,
As stated commissions are negotiable and will vary greatly. This is just a small portion of what you should be considering when listing your home. Just as when selecting any professional the bottom line will be after all is done, will you be happy? Too often agents are selected based upon how low a fee they will charge or how high a list price they are suggesting. Once committed to a listing you are required to a term often 6 months up to a year. I suggest that you require written into your agreement the ability to unconditionally accelerate the expiration of that agreement if you are not satisfied with the services provided. (I often write in a 30 day clause) Check references and ask lots of questions.
That's a good question, but more important than getting the answer of 5-7%, is for you & your Realtor to have a comprehensive strategy about how to market your home correctly. In addition, I'm sure you want to know what kind of service you should expect from your Realtor, given how much commission they make. Feel free to call me anytime & I will provide you with some insightful things to consider before you interview agents to sell your home.

Tom Carroll

Realtor – Associate

Davis Realtors

288 Summerhill Road

East Brunswick, NJ 08816

Cell: 732-735-9099 (try cell first)

Office: 732-254-6700,ex141

Fax: 732-254-0068

E-Mail: TomCarroll@DavisRealtors.Net

Web: http://www.davisrealtors.idxco.com/idx/6756/userLogin.php
sesamechic,
Commissions are not a set or standard issue, so there is no direct answer available to you on this, however, I can strongly encourage you not to make this the deciding issue in who you select. Some agents will claim they charge more and that shows they are worth more, I wish it were true. Others will claim they charge less and are a better deal, this isn't true either.
Your decision should be based on the entire package of who you see will best represent you, your interests first (even by telling you hard to hear news) and do the best overall job of preparing, marketing, negotiating and guiding your home to closing. Our jobs are more complex, if done right, than most the public realizes and a great agent is worth more than whatever commission you agree to pay them. A bad agent will cost you in ways beyond whatever commission they receive.
Getting your home sold, for top dollar in the least amount of time will take a combination of the right skills, look for that agent and don't settle for less.
Hi Sesamechic,

Commissions are negotiable between you and your Realtor. What's most important is the proper pricing and an effective marketing plan in order to get your home sold.
Interview a couple Realtors.

Best with the sale of your home!

Laquita Baez
Licensed Realtor in NJ and GA
Weichert Realtors
973.687.7095
How many real estate agents does it take to answer a question? According to this forum, not too many! The previous answers are well thought out and very informative. The information is accurate. The best thing to do is interview at least 3 agents and find out what you will get for your money. Not all agencies or agents are alike. Stick with a local agent, who will know your area well. My office policy is a 6% brokerage fee, but, as previously mentioned, it is negotiable.
I live in East Brunswick over 20 years and do a good deal of business here too. No other agency sells as many homes in East Brunswick as Davis Realtors. Would be happy to meet with you and show you what I can do to help you get your home sold. Hope that helps...

Judi Salant
Licensed Sales Associate
Davis Realtors
732-254-6700 ext. 134 office
732-501-5625 cell
Judi@DavisRealtors.net
Commissions are negotiable, so you need to connect with a Realtor or Realtors, to see what their
commission rate is, and what the rate includes as far as services go, marketing, advertising,
open houses and so much more..... Remember that with real estate services as with everything else in life, you USUALLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.....

You want the Realtor who knows the market in your area well, understands your needs, like when you
would want to move and what is most important to you, and hopefully one who will help you prepare your home the best way possible, including small upgrades like painting etc., staging and other if it will be helpful to get more traffic by interested buyers, therefore staging moving or removing furniture may be very important to create the very best photos of your property inside and out.
If you need referrals get back to me I gladly pass some on to you.

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
All Real Estate Commissions are negotiated between client and broker in NJ. No listing contract may prescribed or predetermine a fee or percentage. No fee, commission or other consideration has been fixed by any governmental authority or by any trade association or multiple listing service. The best advice is to interview Realtors and determine the amount of service the specific brokerage will provide to maximum the exposure of your home. A realtor will be most comfortable to discuss the commission with you in person.