Home Selling in 60610>Question Details

Shana_liberm…, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

I am potentially selling my Gold Coast condo and I'm not using an agent.

Asked by Shana_liberman, Chicago, IL Mon Jun 10, 2013

What do I need to do, and who do I need to engage (attorney, title agency etc) in order to make this sale happen?

Help the community by answering this question:


Check this link out. You will need to sign up but all info is free

0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 21, 2015
I would engage an attorney to help you with the contract. Is the buyer obtaining financing and working with a buyer broker?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 21, 2015
You will need to contact a local title company and they should be able to help you through the process.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 22, 2014
Not sure why you would ask agents for information and but not use one? Did you have a bad experience?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 15, 2014
Here is a free resource for For Sale By Owners tips to get maximum views and qualified buyers to view the property... http://www.60634homes.com/online-marketing-strategies-to-get…

You can also get an idea of your Gold Coast Condo value at http://chicago.freehousevalues.com/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 15, 2014
I would check with one or two local title companies to see if they can handle it for you, if not, contact a real estate attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 4, 2014
If you have it sold, I would use a title company. They have a back office of real estate attorneys that can help you and give you direction about the process with no additional costs (Usually)

Basically, a title company is a customer service front for real estate attorneys and insurance agents. The title company makes sure all of the documents are in order, does courier services, does follow up, makes sure all the documents are in place, etc while real estate attorney's work behind the scenes checking the title.

If you haven't sold the property, we do buy properties nationwide. We also offer a consulting service if you want to put your condo on a "lease with an option to buy" program. Basically, you can lease the property for top dollar and sell for full appraised value at the end of the lease term. We have a consulting service that educates you about how to manage risks with rental properties, and have a company that offers products, such as default insurance. If tenant doesn't pay, they will cover your payments for up to 6 months in case of tenant default.
Web Reference: http://www.JVAmerica.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 3, 2014
Hi Shana,
I'm just curious, did you sell your condo?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2014
Having it listed with a Realtor on the MLS and in front of hundreds of agents with qualified buyers proves to normally get a better price for you home, they also provide the information. If not employed by you they will be reluctant and tell you to find a real estate attorney. Liability reasons. the attorney could cost you more in the end.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 24, 2014
Retain a real estate broker and have your questions answered. Free advice is worth what you paid for it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 24, 2014
I would contact a real estate attorney to further assist you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 15, 2014
Hello Shana,

Not using a broker may seem like a money saver, however, doing it on your own will involve considerable marketing time & negotiation expertise when that offer does come in.

Using a broker will remove the stress and usually helps you get a selling price that is higher than you can obtain on your own.

Just let me know if you would like some help.

John Meyers, Meyers Realty
e: JohnMeyers@MeyersRealty1.com
c: 847-533-7115
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 28, 2013
Hi Shana,

Get a good Attorney and should be able to guide you to the process!! And than you need to do most of the agent work! Good Luck!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
Your attorney will walk you thought what you need to do during the transaction part. The marketing and everything else Ill be on you to promote your property. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 3, 2013

Hire a real estate attorney for this transaction! I use Bell Law for almost all of my transactions and they are responsive, knowledgeable, and competitively priced.

They can be reached at 773 635 0355.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 1, 2013
Yes, you will need and attorney, appraiser, and a title company. I assume you are trying to save money on commissions by doing this on your own perhaps? Can your can share why you want to do this process on your own?

Using a realtor, they can potentially market your condo in a professional manner that could attract more buyers. Also, as a realtor, we have a database of buyers looking for nice places.

If you want to chat about this, please feel free to reach out to me
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 1, 2013
Hello Shana,

I recommend Dynia & Associates, excellent real estate attorneys and very reasonable 773-427-1900 or realestate@dyniallc.com.

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 11, 2013
I concur, Dynia & Associates (Beata Valente) are excellent and reasonably priced and the best part is they are great communicators.
Flag Fri Feb 14, 2014

You need a real estate attorney. Find a good one and they will set up all the necessary measures with the title company, etc.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Founder and Team Leader

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing


Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Extraordinary Service For Extraordinary Lives"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 11, 2013
Utilize a Real Estate Attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 10, 2013
I emphatically recommend that you and the buyer each hire attorneys well-versed in real estate transactions. Check Yelp or get recommendations from people who have bought or sold recently.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 10, 2013
Just get a good attorney, and they will be able to take care of the title, etc.

The rest of the stuff you will have to do. Work with appraiser, inspection, contract, etc.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me.
Web Reference: http://AmericorpRe.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 10, 2013
I'm not discounting the usefulness of realtors - my tentant is interesting in purchasing, and I had not considered selling until this point. Thus, I do not need to market....I just need to know what to do incase I decide to proceed. Thank you everyone for your candid responses, however.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 10, 2013
You need to determine what the market value of your property is so that you
don't end up leaving money on the table when you offer your condo
to your tenant. You need to make sure that your tenant qualifies for your condo, unless he/she has cash to pay for your condo and lastly, you
need to have all the proper legal forms filled out correctly to have a legal binding contract. If you end up not using an agent to make sure that everything takes place properly. You need to have a good real estate attorney and a good loan officer to make sure that your buyer qualifies to purchase your condo if he/she needs a loan. For more information feel free to contact me at 847-987-2198 or martinsanchez@realtor.com
Flag Mon Jun 10, 2013
You need to find a buyer first and after you need a Real estate attorney
Good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 10, 2013
Unless you work from home and can be available at any time of the day to show your condo, you're not doing yourself a favor by not having an agent to represent you. I agree with Alan about the other things. But I also know that if you're simply leaving a key at the desk for agents to come in and show your place, you're doing nothing to actually sell it. A good agent will market, show and SELL your condo, not just list it in the MLS for you. if you'd like some advice, I'm happy to assist.. I have just sold condos on Lake Shore Drive and River North for some very happy sellers.

Cindy Wilson
Koenig & Strey
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 10, 2013
You really should try to use an agent if possible - they will save you more than they cost.
But if you cant go this route for one reason or another then start with your attorney
Sam Sharp
Senior VP of Mortgage Lending
Guaranteed Rate
773 290 0455
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 10, 2013
Shana - the overlying purpose for using a Realtor in the greater Chicagoland area, is to market your home. If you're not going to use a Realtor, you'll have to handle the marketing, showing, etc...

A real estate attorney can handle the rest... they can review any contract you'd receive, help you negotiate the contract and the inspection, and they'll hire and arrange for the title company. It might be worthwhile to contact a real estate attorney in advance, and go over exactly what aspects of the transaction they're willing to handle, how that might work, and what they will charge you.

Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 10, 2013
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer