Home Selling in Vernon>Question Details

karenwhrite, Home Buyer in Nazareth, PA

I am planning to sell my house in Vernon, NJ. How do I pick the right realtor to work with?

Asked by karenwhrite, Nazareth, PA Tue May 22, 2012

Answers

13
I recommend interviewing several local, experienced realtors, and choose the one that you are most comfortable with and that you think be the most aggressive in marketing your home. You also want to choose a realtor that will do everything in their power to keep the deal together once you are under contract. You should keep in mind that many Realtors will try to get you to agree to a listing term of a year or even longer- there is absolutely no reason to commit to a realtor for that long. That's a red flag indicating they are probably the type of realtor who will just put a sign in front of your home and hope for the best. Kristina Erins, my partner and I, are averaging 54 days to contract for our closings and new sales this year. That compares to an average of over 150 days for all sold listings in Sussex County ytd. It's very important that you chose a local realtor who understands the market in Vernon.

You also what to choose a realtor with a large office, that has a strong support staff and actual realtors who have seen your home answering the phones. At many smaller real estate companies, calls will go straight to voicemail even in the middle of the day. Our office- Weichert Realtors in Sparta has 90+ realtors- so we have enough realtors to be answering the phone from 8:30 to 9:00 on weekdays and 8:30 to 6:00 on weekends. Weichert Realtors is the market leader in Vernon, Sussex County, and all of Northern New Jersey. I'd love to speak with you further about what Weichert has to offer, but I will say that we have an internet presence that goes way beyond any of our competitors.

Me and my partner are a team of two full-time 2011 NJAR Circle of Excellence Award winners. We have an extremely high success rate. In 2011 we sold 27 homes, and have closed on 18 units year to date. Our internet marketing plan is unsurpassed, and we guarantee a minimum of one open house a month, and we pride our selves in making ourselves available 24/7 via phone, text, or e-mail.

Please check out our personal real estate website at http://www.sussexcountynjhomes.com/

Check out the home page, as well as, "What We Do Differently to Sell Your Home" and "Selling for Top Dollar" tab on the side, and of course any other information that looks interesting on the site as well.

Please feel free to call/text me at (973) 903-2862 or e-mail me at rayerins@yahoo.com anytime. I'd be happy to answer any additional questions, and would really love to have the opportunity to meet with you to discuss what Kristina and I would do to sell your home.

Ray Erins
Weichert Realtors
(973) 903-2862
sussexcountynjhomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 29, 2012
...and be sure that the agent you choose has a strong and proven track record with online marketing - think about it, you are here asking your question. This is where buyers come as well to ask questions and find properties. Five years ago working with an agent who embraces online marketing was a "nice to have" but today when 90%+ of buyers do their searching online, it is ESSENTIAL!

Good luck and best,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 30, 2012
Karen,

I would meet with several agents from different companies and see what each one has to offer as far as pricing and marketing. I would recommend never to list with the agent that gave you the highest price or the agent that offered you the lowest commission. Being overpriced on the market will not get your home sold and paying a lower commission, well -- sometimes you get what you pay for. Make sure the agent is full time and knows the area. Once you've met with several agents you should certainly have a good idea of what the house is really worth to a buyer today, you can compare what each has to offer as far as marketing and you will probably have a good feeling or established a good rapport with during your meetings.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a seasoned agent. New agents are just as capable as getting the job done. Listing with the top producer in the office is great but how much time do you think they can devote to your one home when they have so many other sellers to please too? Many new agents are eager and agressive. Choose an agent you like and that can get the job done. Make sure your pricing is right and the marketing plan is aggressive.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 22, 2012
Interview several realtors. Take into consideration their marketing strategy, espeically their internet strategy. 90% of buyers start their search online these days so a strong internet marketing strategy is key. Don't even discuss the listing price of your home or the commission until AFTER you have chosen the realtor you feel is right for you, someone you connect with, someone you think will handle the sale of your home quickly, competently, and who will make the transaction as smooth as possible for you. Hire 'the one' and then set the asking price and commission. So many people get hung up on the money aspect when in reality you will make MORE money, when you factor in the time element, than if you make money your main focus.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 22, 2012
Even though this post is very old, I wanted to respond to it, like others have, to educate sellers and buyers. Many sellers and even buyers feel obligated to the first person that they meet. However, by doing this, you are doing yourself an injustice. Think of yourself as the head of HR of a corporation and the agents as people that are interviewing for a certain position. We are all trying to get your business and one agent may suit your needs better than the other. You may interview 5 different agents and even decide to work with the first one that you saw, however you will never know until you hear and see what the other agents have to offer.

This concept also applies to buyers. Most every agent will ask you to get a pre-approval before they take you out to see any home. This is for a few reasons. The first being that we need to see if you can even get approved to buy a home. The second is to find your true price range which is done best by seeing the limits of the pre-approval. Lastly, no one wants to waste their time, not even you. Getting a pre-approval will save you hours upon hours of time over looking for houses blindly and not knowing how much you can afford or if you can even get a mortgage.

So, Interview with different agents and different brokerages and see what your perfect fit is. You are not locked in withor more importantly obligated to anyone until you start signing your name. So before you do, interview, interview, interview.
So Karen, I posted earlier. Have you picked aanyone yet or contacted any of us who posted for advice?
I have a knowledgeable realtor I worked with in Vernon. He lives in Vernon and knows his stuff. Very helpful.

You can e-mail me at assistgal@gmail.com

Good question...
Here is always my advice....
Pick your Realtor like you select your family physician, dentist, accountant, attorney, and friends too.
Someone you trust and you have great communication with, someone who listens and understands
your needs, and someone who has time for you, and you can reach at any time.

Furthermore you really want a Realtor who is straight forward and honest, you want straight answers
and information to make the right decision, you need not to hear what you want to hear, you need
THE STRAIGHT FACTS.....

GOOD LUCK

EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com YourRealtor4Life Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients Buyers Sellers and Investors alike, covering for @ Properties Brokerage the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs and the fine homes on the North Shore, and all of the US and worldwide offerings with my partner agents.... Edith speaks several languages ....
Have a great day :)
Wow, what a coincidence. I happen to be a realtor in Vernon NJ!
Seriously, when You are considering selling a home, or any property for that matter, you should interview several agents before making a decision. You will be working closely with that agent in preparing the property for sale as well as through the entire sale cycle.
You should feel comfortable and confident with the agent.
You will want to look at how your home will be marketed. Not just listed on the MLS and a few point-and-shoot pictures taken, but professionally marketed,
If you would like to send me an email I would be happy to prepare a CMA and show you what I would do to market your house. frank@francisbrunke.com I am with Prudential Gross & Jansen Highlands Realty in Vernon, NJ You can also call my cell at 201-306-2747
Everyone knows several Realtors. It could be from school activities. It could be from you place of worship. It could be from their advertising. This is all good

But you are making a very important decision. Make sure the Agent you select is active, with numerous Listings and Sales. Make sure they are FULL TIME, not a second job. Make sure they have a good website.

Make sure they are active beyond just Verona. Long gone are the days where local Realtors sell the home to local Buyers. Think about it. When you Agent is showing a home in Roseland, you want them to be able to say confidently, "I know of another home in Verona that would be perfect for you."

Most of all, use you instinct. It has gotten you this far in life. Continue to trust it. You must be on the same page with you Agent to have a successful relationship.
Dear Karen,

You have to do some research or......I can help you! I have the ability and resources to help you select the top Broker/Realtor in your area. I do this for many people all over the country and I have close connections, especially in New Jersey. I can also help you if you are selling as well. Please contact me via email or by phone or visit my website. I'd be more than happy to assist you.

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Associate Broker
2010-2011 Coldwell Banker International President’s Circle Award Recipient
CARTUS & SIRVA Certified Relocation Specialist
Previews Luxury Home Specialist
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
215-803-3237 (mobile)
215-794-1070 x-103
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com http://www.FrankDolski.Com
Now that's a million dollar question. I would interview several agents/agencies as we offer different marketing/commission plans. I would choose a realtor who's personality works well with yours and has a proven track record. Communicatoin is key when you hire a Realtor. Check recommendations and references as well as how the agent market themselves. That will give you an idea of how they run their business and service clients.
Hi Karen! Invite several agents in from different offices to hear what they have to offer and see if you are a good personality fit. Don't be swayed by a high price recommendation or unrealistic promises but by the truth. Try not to take criticisms personally. We are there to help you sell for the best price as quickly as possible and sometimes need to approach sensitive issues. I'm sure you will be happy with your choice if you follow your gut. Best of luck to you!
Barbara Bertone
RE/MAX Platinum Group
973-726-5700 O
201-214-8400 C