Home Selling in Atlanta>Question Details

Kenn, Home Seller in Atlanta, GA

I am planning on selling my home and having my partner buy one at the same time. I want to deal with the same

Asked by Kenn, Atlanta, GA Wed Feb 4, 2009

agent and expect a reduction in his fees. What is an acceptable reduction without insulting the agent with my opinion

Answers

15
Kenn,
If you do consider Duffy make sure you ask them what percentage of their listings actually sell. In other words ask them how many of their listings expire without selling or are withdrawn by the Seller for one reason or another.I think you will be suprised by the answer. How motivated are they to sell your home if they already have a fee upfront from you regardless of the home selling?

When interviewing any agent/broker for a listing make sure you ask them for their particular stats. What percentage of their listing have they sold. How many have they sold in your area. What is their list price to sales price ratio. What is their average days on the market. How many of their listings expired without selling and why.

Lisa is right too. The best agent to sell your home may not be the best agent to help your partner buy one...especially if they are in different areas and price ranges.

The questions to ask any listing agent are: how many homes have they sold in the past year ? what are the average days on market of their properties? what is the % of sales price to list price that they got ? which websites will you be listed on and what kind of enhanced exposure on those sites? if a buyer comes without an agent, what will the total commission be? Over 97% of the Buyers are searching the internet to find homes now, print advertising and home magazines look fancy but are not as effective , open houses and agent caravans also seem to be less productive than in the past. Your listing really needs the best possible internet exposure .Then of course, it is great to have a skilled contract negotiator on your side such as one who negotiates several hundred contracts per year. Paying an up front fee does not mean dimished service , it is just one of the many great options out there for Sellers now. As a Buyer, it is in your best interest to find an experienced contract negotiator who closes a minimum of 15 buyer deals per year. A buyer rebate program is just icing on the cake ! You have to find what feels right for you, there are many good choices .
Kenn -

I know I'm coming in late, but here's my take -

We usually reduce our listing fee for clients when we represent them on both sides. We don't however work for free nor do we spend a lot of time chasing clients by simply cutting our fees. This is how we feed our families, we do this full time and I'm a broker and certified appraiser. I will confidently (not arrogantly) say that we have a much better grasp on how to interpret, apply and forecast data and trends after appraising and selling for twenty years.

You know in this market that working with less than experienced and veteran agents will be at best a waste of time, at worst cost you financially. If you use any firm that collects listing fees up front you are not wise. I would suggest first shopping by experience, and then evaluate costs. You’re only paying for the listing side and the price difference between agents will be minimal. At the end of the day, this isn’t a lot and the level of experience for your selected agent on BOTH sides should be carefully evaluated. You will have issues come up that you don’t anticipate and you’ll then find out how qualified your agent is. You will also need a skilled negotiator on the buy side and an agent capable of cogently explaining the data to you so that you understand things and buy with confidence. Toss in management of the transaction, guidance with mortgages, appraisal and inspection issues and whatever else comes up…..

Always start with experience and then move to your actual expenses….penny wise and pound foolish applies here. We’d love a chance to compete for your business.

Hank Miller, SRA, ABR
Associate Broker & Certified Appraiser
Prudential GA Realty
678-428-8276
Kenn,

The answer is simple, it could be about 1/3 discount, or 1% each side as a max. We do 1% on the side with the highest outcome. But in this market, we would do 1/3, 1% on each side. That would not insult anyone, just like a low offer on your sale should not insult you! In this market, everyone asks for the "deal", it is up to the seller and buyer to make it happen!!!
Dave
Kenn,

When agents compete... You don't always win. Most agents will negotiate their commission but you have to weary of the "FLUFF." Here's some good questions:

If you are working with a team, does the team member ACTUALLY have buyers to help.
On the buying side, does the agent know enough about the area to be useful, if not THEY SHOULD REDUCE their fees!
On the Selling side, do they have a clear plan on how to market your home, or do they list 80+ items that happen automatically as a result of being put on the MLS. Sorry, Kenn, but you won't see "SIGN PLACED IN YARD" as part of my marketing plan - it's already assumed.