Jeana Gardner, Home Seller in Mount Vernon, NY

I am inquiring aboutselling my home. I spoke to a realtor and his fee is 5%..is that average or am I right to be concerned?

Asked by Jeana Gardner, Mount Vernon, NY Tue Mar 6, 2012

Answers

12
pica441

A good agent the will give results, works hard and is very professional. Has your best interest at hand and doing his best to eran that 5% commission. The goal as a listing agent is to help you sell your home for the highest price, in the shortest period of time and with the least amount of inconvenience to you. At the end of the day you get what you paid for. Sit with your agent and discuss how he/she is going to market and selling your home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 6, 2012
There isn’t a set percentage but like the other poster said “you get what you paid for.” It is depend on if your home is short sale, foreclosure or is it a regular sale. I suggest to shop whatever percentage he/she proposed.
Hi, All offices vary. Keep in mind you get what you pay for and also what you don't pay for. Usually when a comission is cut so are some services, communication, or marketing.

Chris
It all depends on the service and quality of the agent. In NY it's generally between 4.5 and 6% for the top agents.
5% is low. Make sure you ask what the fee includes, especially where your property will be advertised! For example, you are on Trulia looking for RE Advice, will they advertise your property here?

Also - Make sure to interview ATLEAST 3 agents, as commissions vary & not all agents are the same.
Hello Pica,

Good evening, its great you are making a move. As stated before all fees are negotiable text book response. Ask the Realtor that you met with to break down all that is provided for the 5%. Also interview other agents and see what services they provide. There is more to getting the home sold than just putting it on the market.

Kind regards
Egen Warner
Associate Broker
Coldwell Banker Residential Services
1-914-424-7231
Web Reference: http://GetEgen.com
Hi Pica; All commissions are negotiable from 4%percent to 6%percent is normal fee.
You should find out what are they giving you if you list with them?
I have a flat fee service for 2.75 percent commission! You could save thousand of dollars
For more information please contact me @Fred@FredNussen.com or call me 914 320-2639

Fred Nussen
Licensed Associate Broker
Delphi Real Estate
36 Garth rd
Scarsdale, NY 10583
http://FredNussen.com
Web Reference: http://rednussen.com
All commissions are negotiable. I have been a realtor in Mount Vernon for 5 years and have seen all types of fee structures. The fee structure is always directly related the services the realtor will provide you. A lower fee does not necessarily mean more money in your pocket. A higher fee does not necessarily mean better service. If you would like a list of the services any realtor should be providing you with, regardless of fee...AskRey.

Rey Hollingsworth Falu
Licensed Associate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence - Mount Vernon

917.855.0277
rhollingsworth@houlihanlawrence.com
Commissions are always negotiable between you and your agent, there are no set standards; therefore interview in person a few local agents from different realty companies, then choose the one you like best and who has the most to offer; choose your agent with care and not by commission alone...
Setting any commission rate is against Anti-Trust laws. Realtors typically ask what they believe they are worth.

There is NO average rate.

Interview several Realtors. The one that is best for the job will get you the most possible for your property which, no matter what the commission, will be more in your pocket.
Hi pica441,

All commission is negotiable. That said, here is CA the 'typical' commission rate is 5%-6% with half going to the listing agent and the other half going to the buyer's agent.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
My advice would be to interview a few realtors and weigh what each broker can do for you versus the fee that is charged. I would be happy to meet with you and show you the advantage that our brokerage has over others in westchester. 914 645 2433 Stephanie@jphilip.com