Danodle, Home Seller in 71909

I am in Ark and selling my home to an individual. I will finance the loan. What is the limit of interest that can be charged? Is 6% legal?

Asked by Danodle, 71909 Tue Aug 30, 2011

Answers

4
6% is perfectly legal. You will need an attorney to assist you in putting together the formal paperwork.
the usery law has been lifted last year and ....you can charge up to 16%, but call your attorney....I called Eudox Patterson
I had a legal mortgage I paid off which was 10%. Arkansas usuary law is 10%, but some places can charge higher, in fact the government charged more for loans in the 80's.

I'd also recommend having a 3rd party take the payments in and process the loan balance every month. It costs the buyer a few dollars per month, but protects both of you from having any discrepancies.
Check with a lawyer. Or call your state's attorney general's office or the state's consumer affairs department. I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice. However, I'm 99.9% confident that 6% is legal. The limit likely is far higher. For instance, see http://www.usurylaw.com/state/arkansas.php

But check with someone in Arkansas who would know for sure.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA