Samuelsruthe…, Home Buyer in

I am curious as to the resale value of a townhome vs. side X side vs. sgl. fam. home.

Asked by Samuelsrutherford, Tue May 22, 2012

Does it vary by area? What are the variables, end unit, low association costs, location, school district, size, etc. How much does the builder's name play into it?

Answers

6
Thank you everyone for the very quick responses, and the offers to help. I was not sure how the turnout would be with never using trulia.com before, but I am blown away by the knowledge, speedy responses, and support from all of you!
Well Blaine is one of my primary areas so I understand what you are asking. In many ways though Blaine is not that much different than any other suburb and follows a general rule.

1) Side x Side Twin homes are tough sells and very challenging on resale. Most of the time people buy these because they want to live on one side and rent out the other. The only other purpose is a buyer would like to buy a single family home but the neighborhood is expensive, so they buy one side of a twin home. In up markets it is easier to sell, but they do not appreciate very well due to being valued more often than not by rental income and not single family appreciation.

2) In Blaine the prices are not high enough, and there are quite a bit of really nice TH associations like Club West. TH side x side are incredibly cheap right now and will appreciate more in the long run. They also serve a very niche purpose versus twin homes, and this makes it easier on the resale side. There are a lot of buyers out there that don't want the maintenance headache. Certainly End Units have a slight advantage, but so does beds/bath count (huge impact on resale), and the positioning of the UNIT (does your view look straight at another Unit or no?). Floor Plans also have an impact, so all of these factors come into play and a Realtor can help discuss this further.

3) Single Family homes will always appreciate much more than TH's as a general rule. In Blaine I can either get a decent TH for $130,000 or pay just a fraction more to get a decent Split level home. The Split level home should appreciate more in the long run.

4) Location will never change throughout the history of Real Estate. School Districts, low crime rates, & amenities today's homeowner is looking for all come into play.

That should hopefully give you an idea, and of course feel free to contact me directly on Trulia if you have any specific questions since I know Blaine and the surrounding areas very well. Part of being a Realtor is understanding neighborhoods and this question very well. Real Estate is hyper local so in the end the best way to answer this question is be property specific.
Single family homes are going to be the best in the long run. Townhomes are the next best thing. Location is always going to be a factor, but people generaly want to live where they grew up or where familt is so it's not as much of a big deal. Builder's name has never come up in any of my conversations with potential clients.
Stacie
A great question, but the answer is super involved and much easier to answer over the phone. There are a lot of additional variables, but definitely varies by area also. All of my information can be found by clicking on my profile.....Trulia prohibits us from putting our contact information in these responses.
I can answer your ??? But it is more involved than I can answer in an email. Call me cell after 6 pm at 612-845-0452.

Kent
Yes, area can play an important role in resale value. End units are usually larger in size so they can tend to sell for a little bit more. Buyers like to see low association costs in an HOA. Some buyers are school district specific due to math/reading scoring, sports, etc. If a builder has a poor reputation that could hinder buyers or if a builder has a strong background and known for quality production that can help but all in all the market determines the value of ones property.