Home Selling in Hillcrest>Question Details

Vivian, Both Buyer and Seller in 92103

I am being told by a 2nd party that I'm crazy for the price we are asking for our family home. asking $2,900,00.00. House is 1800 sq ft, 3br 2

Asked by Vivian, 92103 Wed Oct 14, 2009

ba, office, wb fp on ttl of 2 ac. house sites on 1/2 ac. on canyon, 1 of 4 on a cul-de-sac. Backyard has ocean view. home built in 1928-true spanish, lath/plaster mahogany woodwork, etc. home owned by only 3 owners since '28. what is your input

Answers

17
Dear Vivian,
not knowing exactly all the details of your beautiful property, I can only give you an idea of what's selling and sold in the last six months in your zip code. Of those sold, the one closest to your home in size and architectural style sold at just under $900,000. Currently in the same zip, square footage, etc., there are a couple of properties for sale, one is listed at $975,000 and the other at $1.4-$1.675 a 3 bedroom/3 bath 1,912 square feet; completely remodeled. Formal living areas with hardwood floors, Chef's kitchen with granite and top of the line appliances, family room, MBR retreat, upper deck with ocean and sunset views, private backyard with spa, Newly built, 440 bottle wine room and garage with loads of storage. (car lift on order to house a 2nd car in the garage.) Both active listings have been on the market over 190 days. If you'd like some assistance getting better comps, let me know.

Warm regards,

Gina Garcia, Real Estate Consultant
Lic. #01704251
e-PRO Internet Professional
Direct: 619-818-6982
AskGina@GinasHomes.net
http://GinasHomes.net
Web Reference: http://GinasHomes.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 14, 2009
Hey Vivian,

Did you sell your beautiful home?

Julianne
This question posted Act 2009.

If it has not sold in five years, the verdict is IN.
Hi Vivian,
It amazes me how often people who know nothing about real estate and don't work in it day in and day out like we agents do, are so quick to offer people like you advice about how much you should sell your home for! Don't listen to 2nd parties, or even third parties. Get yourself a good listing agent and have them run the comps on your property to show you how much similar homes in your neighborhood have sold for, which ones expired (because they were over priced) and what your competition is (active listings). Or better yet, pay $500 to get an actual appraisal done so you know more definitively what your home is worth.
Your home sounds gorgeous and I would love to sell it for you!
Donna McClelland
Keller Williams Carlsbad
760-807-1981
donna@donnasellssandeigo.com
PS I lived in your neighborhood for 3 years. LOVED IT!
Flag Fri May 30, 2014
Vivian,

It doesn't sound THAT crazy, but you definitely will need help finding a buyer at that price for a home that size. I represent high-end clients in Mission Hills, La Jolla, and throughout San Diego in this price range. If your home isn't currently listed for sale with another broker, have me come over and I'll tell you what I think after seeing the home in person.

Adam S. Allerton
Middleton & Associates Real Estate
La Jolla, California
(619) 223-1234
25 years representing high-end clients
From Malibu to Mexico - ADAM is the "First Man of Real Estate"
Breaking and exceeding Sales Price records by neighborhood, every year 1990-2014
Maybe and Maybe not. There are many factors that determine a homes value. Without knowing all of the details it's impossible to answer the question. Visit my web site and I can give you a FREE CMA on what your home is worth in San Diego.

Dawn Lewis
http://www.dawnsellssandiego.com/sellers-cma
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 17, 2009
Hello Vivian,

Clearly your message has created quite a stir. The bottom line to everyone's answer is to consult a Realtor.

However, if you really want to know the value, pay for an independent appraisal.

Mark and Kari Shea
San Diego Real Estate Experts
Foreclosure, Investment & Short Sale Specialists
Development Opportunities & Traditional Real Estate
Many Realtor's would be more than happy to provide you with a free market analysis on your home-this will give you a true overview of your market and area.
Vivian

Here is a link to see the last 6 months of activity in your area from 1,000,000 to 4,000,000.

Copy paste the link below into your browser.

http://tempo5.sandicor.com/Pub/EmailView.asp?r=1047330865&am…

Bottom line is, when questions regarding value arise at such an early stage, it may be wise to speak with me. Consultations are always free and we can do it by phone or in person.

Hope the link above helps,

Greg Godwin
1-800-GET-GREG
1-800-438-4734

Realty Source
Lic# 01212184
Vivian,
not sure who that second party is.... But you really need an experienced local Realtor, who is very familiar with your kind of size of home, location, lot size and any upgrades and amenities in the home. Each home is different, and in this market, it does not really much matter what you think your home is worth, it really matters what the market at this time can bear and what a ready and willing buyer is ready and willing to pay for it....

The higher your asking price the longer it will take. But before you even can make a decision on what is current market value, you MUST consult with an experienced area Realtor and get a detailed market analysis, 1800 sq.ft. does not seem to be a very large home, but then lot size, location, views and upgrades etc. make always a difference, but this is a very different market from a few years ago.

Consult with an experienced agent, if you do not know anyone select one of the agents who answered you your question or contact me I could refer someone to you.
Sincerely yours,
Edith Karoline YourRealtor4Life! & YourChicagoConnection
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients!
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
My questions to you would be "How did you establish that price?" Did you use an online source such as Zillow or Trulia or did you contact a Realtor? Are you a For Sale by Owner and just testing the market?
A true professional such as Realtor would be able to help you establish value for your home. Only you can set the price for your home and gathering the right information form the professional Realtor is the only way to go.

Phillis Dattilo Windermere Exclusive Properties
858 775-3226
Hire a Realtor. At least get a CMA (competitive market analysis) from one or two. I'll be glad to give you one. Or call an appraiser and get a true estimate Your only crazy in their mind...it sounds like a good deal, just keep in mind that the homes over a mil are selling slower, and for a little less than last year. But thre are homes listed at 13 mil...so...makes your sound affordable!

Let me know if I can help you in any way!

Joan Wilson (Realtor, SRES, Ecobroker)

California Cool 4 Sale
Prudential California Realty
Direct Phone: 760-757-3468
Fax: 760-946-7894
JoanWilson@prusd.com
License # 01341483

It is my Goal to Increase the Success and Profitability of Those I Serve
Hello Vivian,

Just to give you an idea what you can buy in today's market...

I have a home for sale in Del Mar with Stunning Ocean Views from most rooms, short walk to the beach and it is over 3000 SF built in 1986 in very good condition and it is priced just under $2 million.

Your best bet is to hire a professional agent and see what they tell you for your area. There has been lots of good advice here. I wish you all the best.

Have a great day. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.
Denise Gleavey
Coldwell Banker Res. Brokerage
858-565-7777
Web Reference: http://www.IHandleRE4U.com
If you were buying a house in today's market, would you pay $3 million for it?

You sure can buy alot of house these for little $$$

However, if the home is pristine, unique etc and its priced right... it well sell.

In La Jolla, an 18,000,000 sold less than 60 days ago... So the whales are still out there...
Dear Vivian,

There are currently 16 homes listed in Hillcrest (92103) prices ranging from $2M - $3M and all are above 2000 Sq Feet. I would need additional information regarding the home to avoid comparing apples to oranges ~ price per sq foot puts $2.9 out of the ball park. If you are interested in seeing the comps in your area please feel free to contact me direct or via my website and I'm happy to forward.

Katrina Hamilton
Direct: 858-405-4407
Web Reference: http://www.downtownreos.com
Vivian,

You can sign up for a complimentary Comparative Market Analysis and suggested list price at: http://www.QuestStarRealty.com. Click on the seller section.
Hi Vivian,

There is not enough data to give a quality answer. We would need to know the neighborhood or your street & zip to determine whether the price is right.

Mark and Kari Shea
San Diego Real Estate Experts
Foreclosure & Investment & Short Sale Specialists,