Home Selling in Portland>Question Details

Brannon Lobd…, Both Buyer and Seller in Portland, OR

I am an architect. What is the best way to sell / list my single family and multi-family residential designs?

Asked by Brannon Lobdell, Portland, OR Thu Mar 4, 2010

Is it best to have a piece of property to go along with the design?

I would contact a number of local builders and get an estimate for the cost of construction for each elevation and plan.
As an investor and broker in Florida I would be interested to review your designs and open for joint venture once you did your homework.
Advertising your product to local investors and realtors can be effective as long as your designs meet todays real estate challenges.
I think that if you can show your design alongside the property it can go one - people will pick up on it faster than just seeing a design. If you can connect with an agent that might have property available by another seller - that seller may allow for your design to be built there by the buyers wanting the land - so you can do a lot of items that way and/or if you own land - do it on your own land that way. Many agents, myself included have had properties set up letting buyers know that those designs will fit that lot and it may help the lots sell faster also!
wow - thanks everyone! great suggestions. see you out there - brannon
Brannon - I would say yes, have a piece of property to go along with the design. As you know, not all designs can be built on every piece of land, so I would gather several lots currently on the market to suggest to your client. And I would also team up with a broker, or brokers who regularly sell land and show them what you can do for their buyers. I worked a development at the beach selling lots to clients without the help of an architect, and the prospect of figuring out just how to build that dream home was often what prevented me from selling the land. My clients needed help with a builder and architect to make the decision on the land. If you have the funds you could buy land and package a design with the lot and list the package for sale. Without land you can't really "list" the designs for sale through a real estate broker. But you can team up with brokers to bring you referral business. If you pay them a commission for this, it needs to be disclosed to the client. I'd also pull in a good builder so that you have the entire package ready for a client interested in building their dream home. The easier you make it for the client, the better.
Dear Brannon,
Building "green" is where it's at now and custom. There is also a growing need for 1 level homes for the growing aged population moving into their dream home. That's creating a niche! -The Jewel of The Rock, Prudential 503-936-2432
One way to get yourself out there, is to find those buyers that are interested in custom building on their own land. There is a company called U Build It that consults buyers on how to go about building or remodeling their own home. Giving them the tools to pull permits, find contractors, or "designs". This company is locally franchised, so you will want to speak to the individual owner to ask about how you can get your plans in front of their interested clients. The buyer would then purchase your plans if they liked the design, OR you may be contacted and contracted for a custom design.

Good luck. If you need help contacting the right person there, feel free to contact me.
Web Reference: http://www.UBuildIt.com
Brannon, I definitely agree w/Dirk regarding it IS a slow market for building presently. You could start some of the "foundation work" of making contacts with builders and getting a good web site developed to be positioned for the housing recovery. The builders generally have the lots secured and work with architects/designers to best draft for the space available. Good luck!
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource
Well this is a question of purpose. To make any real money you have to sell complete customs or do a volum of business. If you look at Alan Mascord Design online you will see he is huge.

He started marketing to a handful of local builders and Realtors. That built an audience and trust. After that he grew and grew.

Now there is not much market as nobody is building. There will be an opportunity however and when that time comes we will need good talent in design. There is always the need for a fresh perspective.

I would be happy to speak by phone in the coming days and will share my 25 years of experience with you.

Best wishes;

Dirk T Knudsen
Re/Max Metro Gold
Web Reference: http://www.theknudsens.com