Frank Cruz, Home Seller in 30030

I am about to install shag carpets (light tan) to help sell my home. Is shag absolutely the wrong way to go?

Asked by Frank Cruz, 30030 Sun Mar 29, 2009

Answers

15
Good morning - There are several things to consider when replacing any component of a home to help it sell faster. In my area (Florida) shag carpet is not a popular choice. Berber, tile or wood are the popular choices here. Assuming your general color scheme is compatible with the light tan color, your color choice is fine. But first - why are you considering such a change? Is the carpet so badly stained it can't be professionally cleaned? Is the color dreadful - purple or black for example? One thing to remember - many/most buyers probably will make those cosmetic changes when they move in. Have you considered getting 3 or more estimates to replace the carpet and then displaying in your MLS (I hope) information that you will provide a credit to the buyer of however much an average of those estimates come to? That way, the buyer gets the best of both worlds - a new carpet they like basically for free.
Frank,

Yes! You'd do better installing neutral "builder" carpet. Some people will absolutely LOVE the shag and some will hate it.

When selling, think "neutral."
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 29, 2009
Joshua Jarvis, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
Yes, Frank, unless you're staging a revival of "Bye, bye Birdie" Shag carpet is absolutely the wrong way to go.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 29, 2009
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Wood, tile, or a flat pile carpet would be 1,000% more desirable to a buyer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 29, 2009
Yikes...this post is from 2009.....
However, if installed in 2009 it could be ready to be changed out again. Shag may have been "In" in 2009 but in 2013 there are better options.
Just ran into this thread and at first I thought it was a "Hidden Camera" set up.

I see shag carpet in homes wih some regularity. Unfortunately - it was insalled in the 1960s and is ofen some awful orange or green color.

NO - do not install shag carpet. Call ANY realtor on this page and they will tell you the same thing.

UNLESS you have some amazing crystal ball view into the future and see shag carpet and avocado appliances staging a comeback....then maybe.
Most buyers in City of Decatur area generally prefer wood flooring in the living spaces. Carpet in a bedroom would be fine. I assume that you currently have carpet in the rooms you are considering changing. If so, and they cannot be cleaned well enough to not be an eyesore, then I would absolutely replace the flooring as first impressions are critical especially if the rest of the house is in good order.
Budget and general pricerange of your home are the consideration. Wood flooring is the best but also the most expensive choice. However you can get some nice pre-finished wood flooring at Floor & Decor on the I-85 Access Rd near N.Druid Hills exit. If you are handy, these could probably be installed by yourself vs having to hire a contractor.
Most homes in 30030 are in the $300K plus pricerange, so take note of which type of flooring is most common in the other homes in your particular n'hood of Decatur. Winnona Park, Oakhurst, Great Lakes? If so, hardwoods in the living spaces!
It's the more stout shag style, that they now call 'twist'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think berber is better. But that's JMO.
Hmmmm......so the best option is either hardwood or flat pile, but not shag. Now, just so you know, it's not really long shag like 70's style. It's the more stout shag style, that they now call 'twist'.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDi…

I suppose flat pile may be a better choice
Simple answer Frank is YES!
Select what is more in fashion, like light berber carpet if you want to go with carpet otherwise hardwood flooring
I am assuming tha tyou are talking about living areas or bedrooms....
Good Luck
Edith
edithsellshomes@gmail.com
Are the 70's back? Keep it very simple and very neutral - might also consider a flooring allowance depending if you can do that. If the house is vacant you might be able to, if not then clean the existing ones up as best you can. If you put something in there that's not what a buyer is looking for you've wasted money.

Hank
Tile or wood flooring is the way to go.

Anna
Frank,

From a selling perspective, our recommendation is to take the route of potentially pleasing as many people as you can. The fact of the matter is many Americans are in love with their pets and see carpeting as a real drawback when they are previewing possible homes to purchase.

For this reason we would like to weigh in on the side of not installing carpeting but recommend considering a solid surface ie. wood, tile, or other more servicable surface.

Shows you what I know about interior decorating. i still don't like the stuff short or long. You still have to appeal to the most people, and IMHO shag ain't gonna do it.

http://cybersafeshop.com/productivity/shag-rugs-make-a-comeb…
Is this a joke? Maybe a trick question? You really aren't serious are you?