Home Selling in Denver>Question Details

Graham Johns…, Other/Just Looking in Denver, CO

I am a video producer interested in offering photo/video home tour services to real estate professionals. Is this a "sellable" concept?

Asked by Graham Johnstone, Denver, CO Thu May 31, 2012

If so, what "features" would be most in demand? What is an attractive price point?
Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Graham Johnstone

Answers

12
Annette Lawrence 727.420.4041’s answer
Graham,
At this time you are presenting yourself as competing on price. This is not a good idea.
You would be well advised in creating a Value Package that will appeal to real estate professionals.

You need a "thing" in which to distinguish your service.
I recently saw a "HANES" ad on TV. The distinguished feature was...NO TAG! Seems as remote to the product as a value statement can be! Yet, there they are....chatting about "NO TAGS TO IRRITATE." Just like Restless Leg Syndrome, no one know they are afflicted with such threatening problems.

I just 20 seconds I thought of four biggies in which to distinguish your service and not compete on price alone.
1. Vaulting to secure Film roll
2. Syndicating to other video libraries
3. Meet me
4. Hybrid

Now that you have a product of distinction...(you could easily offer all four, but you need only one, allow room for additional features) you need to position it to solve a problem or produce an outcome that either the agent wants or the home buyer demands. You know, demand like, "Get rid of the tag!"

For instance, Hybrid increases sickness. If you have ever watch folks searching for a home and watching those tours....THE LIGHT WILL COME ON!!! Agents will want sticky tours not productions that test endurance.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group, Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041 - http://www.EZrealEstate.co
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2012
I am willing to bet there is interest on the high end.

Our industry is like any other. As the field becomes more competitive, you certainly will see opportunities such as:

1) Agent presentations
2) High end property showings

If you haven't contacted some of the smaller builders, you might put them on your list but not for immediate contact. They will be good prospects later.

Boulder, Highlands Ranch as well as other high end neighborhoods have been selling more and more luxury homes.

Suz
Unfortunately, in our business as well as others, the true professional and his/her services have been replaced by a bevy of individuals pretending to have a product or service of value at a hugely discounted price. The greatly reduced price point currently offered by alot of these home tour services would preclude the serious photographers/videographers from making it a viable business.
You know what may work (depending on cost) is to offer videos for brokers to promote themselves or their company instead of for particular properties. I may be interested in this....

Shoot me an email. Brooke.Whitfield@WhitfieldRE.com

Brooke
Thank you all for your input. It has been helpful!
Graham
Hi Graham:

Agents do have a number of ways they can use video. But there are two problems. The first is price, the second is quality. Unfortunately, I think you will find that you will need to keep the price point down, which affects the quality that you can offer. And, in my mind, it is not worth doing anything in marketing if the quality is not good enough to attract home buyers. As a former still photographer myself, I know this is always one of the frustrating battles professionals like you encounter. So: If you want to get into this, I would suggest you come up with some packages in which some of the factors like background music and storyboard are already in place. Then devise some tactics for lighting and image capture that can be handled very quickly so you are on location for a very short period of time. You might even consider high resolution stills that you can pan or zoom into during editing.

I hope this helps. Feel free to give me a call if you want to bounce some ideas around.

Kind regards,
Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
Days: 303.981.1617
info@rovtar.com
http://www.rovtar.com
There is always room for one more. I would also suggest calling Obeo as many agents seem to use their services. Also, call Express Copy...they are also doing VT now. Just not sure on pricing right at the moment. Fast turnaround very important also. Good luck Graham!
There's about 15 people already doing this in Denver
A good guage might be to look at what virtual tours (based on still photos) are going for. We pay $90 to $150 for these including taking the photos.
Web Reference: http://www.BandyHomes.com
Graham,

From the recent marketing research video tours seems t be the latest rage. It is a viable program to compete with or add more value along with a virtual tour. I would check the websites of other companies doing this to see what is a competitive price. I have been looking at the 'do it yourself' video information so I don't know what would be considered competitive right now. You might also check with some of the companies like OBEO.com that sometimes are searching for local videographers to work with. Also You might want to check with Google.com. They are planning to have videos of interiors of commercial buildings to go along with their Google Street View type programs. Good succes with your efforts.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
1776 S. Jackson St. #412
Denver CO 80210
Direct – 303-669-1246
http://theRobertMcGuire.com
Yes, it's sellable and viable but you've got much credible proved competition. Check out the competition on Internet or other sources to see what they're doing, offering, and charging.
Call Obeo as they may be looking for someone like you.

Ethan Besser
Keller Williams
303-856-8980

http://www.denverrealestatenow.net/

http://www.denvercoloradorealestatenow.com/site/search_v2/?