Home Selling in Scottsdale>Question Details

mpost22, Home Buyer in Scottsdale, AZ

I am a 1st time home buyer, looking to buy near N. Scottsdale...do all the condo/apt in that area have HOA fee's?

Asked by mpost22, Scottsdale, AZ Sun Jan 27, 2013

Pref 2BR/2BA with large yard for dogs.

Answers

31
Jennie Miller PLLC’s answer
I just did a quick search of the MLS in Scottsdale and there are no townhomes or condos without HOAs. Here is a link to view all of the condos and townhomes in Scottsdale for you to consider. Bear in mind that some of these may or may not meet the requirements that your lender may have (if you are getting a loan). I am a very experienced buyers' agent and would be happy to help you navigate through finding a new home! I have extensive recommendations from my clients on my Trulia profile and you can see these by clicking on my photo to the right.

http://www.flexmls.com/cgi-bin/mainmenu.cgi?cmd=url+other/ru…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
Yes, you'll typically find condo/apts with $150+/mo in HOA fees because this money goes towards the maintenance of common areas and the more bells and whistles there are (pools, tennis courts, gym, etc). the higher the HOAs will likely be. Since communities are competing with one another to offer the best amenities for their residents, it's very unlikely near impossible to find a complex without an HOA.

Furthermore, if you want a yard, then I would suggest you shy away from condos unless by "yard" you mean somewhere you can walk your dogs to let them stretch their legs and got to the bathroom. If you want a large yard then that pretty much dwindles it down even further as you would likely need a single family house because most town houses do not have large yards but small, quaint ones.

If I can be of any more service don't hesitate to click on my face and contact me :)
Virtually all condos will have an HOA because they are necessary for keeping the common areas (e.g. landscaping, exterior structures, pools, etc) maintained. Without an HOA, it is highly unlikely that you would even desire to live in such a community, as it would probably be very run down. Additionally, not having an HOA would assuredly negatively impact the ongoing value of the property because the complex as a whole would deteriorate from negligence over time. I recommend that you simply look for a condo where the HOA is affordable.

Wayne Pearson, Realtor®
wayne@waynepearson.com
P: 602-759-0303
F: 480-321-8600
Sonoran Living Scottsdale
5301 N Pima Rd, Suite 130
Scottsdale, AZ 85250
You may want to consider a town home or patio home so that you will have a small yard for your dogs, you can reach me at 602-432-955
You may want to consider a town home or patio home so that you will have a small yard for your dogs, there will be an association fee with every subdivision of condos or town homes
Flag Wed Oct 16, 2013
Yes, the condos and townhomes will have HOA fees. Some communities are much less per month than others so you will want to review the fees for each listing you are interested in. There are also going to be communities in this North Phoenix / Scottsdale area that have two associations. Feel free to view the available condos in the North Scottsdale area on my website:

http://www.TopScottsdaleHomes.com/Condos
Without knowing your budget, I just ran a search for properties that look like they could be a fit for you.
If you check out 10945 E. Hope Dr Scottsdale on Truila it looks very nice. It's had some updating is a single level townhome with no commons walls, so more like a house. It has a 2 car garage and a nice sized courtyard which would be great for your dogs. The kitchen has been updated with granite counters and SS appliances and the HOA fee's are only $89.30 per month. It has easy access to the 101 freeway and there is lots of shopping and restaurants close by. It's been on the market for 13 days and is priced at $224,000. I live and work in Scottsdale and have been a realtor for 7 years. Let me know if you'd like any more information on this property or any others, I'd be happy to help you in your search. Thanks Vicki Shaw, Realty One Group.
As you can see by many of the responses the answer is pretty consistent. Most do have HOA's and related fees. The fees can contriute to comon area maintenance to blanket insurance policies. An experienced agent can help navigate you through the process.
I'm have to help find you your next home.
Jeff Fisher
REMAX Fine Properties
602-531-0435
Yes, Condos, Townhomes, apartments and even a lot of the housing neighborhoods have HOA's of varying amounts. There are some housing communities that don't so that might be an option for you to try to buy a smaller home instead of a condo..
Have you found your home yet? There may be some small single family homes that will have no HOA.
If we get a chance to talk we may find out solution for you.

Steffy Hristova, MBA, SFR, Realtor®
HomeSmart
Tel: (480) 966-9353
Web Reference: http://www.talktosteffy.com
The HOA serves Common Areas / amenities as well as bldg exterior maintenace on condos important is to check the Financial soundness of the Association. If you wish to get specifics Feel Free to call.
Best of luck - Cristine Masson
Yes, all condominiums have fees. Apartments usually have the landlord pay the fees and they are not usually the obligation of the tenant.
I live in the North Scottsdale area and my office is at the Princess Resort, I would be more than happy to answer any questions and help you Turn your Dream into an Address....

Ryan Buckley Realtor®
Turning your Dream into an Address
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
480-440-4541
ryan.buckley@azmoves.com
http://www.liveinscottsdale.com
http://www.facebook.com/rcoldwellbanker
twitter @rcoldwellbanker
As has been mentioned all Condos and Townhomes by their very nature have Home owners association dues to help maintain the common spaces which could include pool(s) and any other amenities some include trash service . Make sure that you take the time to preview the CC & Rs (covenants,codes & restrictions) for each as that will help with your decision if those are rules you are able / willing to adhere to. There are some areas of N. Scottsdale that my have CC & Rs but no active HOA and others where there is neither. Am more than happy to help should you need that ...Best of Luck with the search!
In addition to the HOA fees, condo/townhouse communities and even single family home communities will have a set of CC&Rs (Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions) to which all owners and tenants must adhere. There purpose of these rules is to keep the community a neat, clean, and orderly place that does not become depressed and lose real value.

The price to maintain such standards can be high, and not just in dollars. You may have to do more property maintenance than you are comfortable with, hire help, or contribute to community funds frequently to clean up/paint/repair the buildings. If you need to have a commercial truck at your home, want a large assortment of animals, or various mechanical items in your yard, a community with an HOA and CC&Rs may not be for you.

Older neighborhoods, rural properties, and horse properties are less likely to have HOAs and other use restrictions.
mpost22 -

Yes all condos have HOA fees and generally all Townhomes do too. These fees maintain the common areas and the community amenities such as pool, spa, clubhouse and exercise rooms. These amenities vary by project. If you wish to avoid HOA dues, you should consider small single family detached homes and possibly small townhomes projects. The rules for pets varies by community and should be verified before submitting an offer. As a first time buyer your first step should be to contact a mortgage banker or broker to get prequalified.

As a Scottsdale native and experienced real estate professional, I would be happy to assist you in your first home purchase.

Rob Ryan
Real Estate Professional
West USA Realty
602-828-1589 c
480-948-5554 w
RobAZHomes@gmail.com
http://www.RobSellsAZHomes.com
Hi there,

Condos do have HOA fees so they can take care of the common areas. Some will be more expensive than others though.

You can't buy an apartment. They are available for lease. They don't have HOA fees.

Condos typically do not have a yard. There are a few that will have a small enclosed area for each unit. Having said that there are a few communities that have a park or dog area in the common area.

Please see below a list of condos in Scottsdale up to $200k:

http://www.flexmls.com/link.html?zlaj9p3m3r0,12
This link will no longer be available after 2/26/2013.

And if you haven't done your mortgage pre-approval yet, you can submit an application at:
http://arrowheadlakes.infohoods.com/mortgage

I hope this helps.

Jose Dias, REALTOR
(623) 418-5700
Jose@MyFirstHouseAZ.com
http://www.MyFirstHouseAZ.com
Hello Mpost22,

Are you looking for a rental that will accept a large dog? Have you thought more along the lines of a home? Your luck at having no HOA is much greater.
Dear mpost22; Nearly all Condo projects no matter where they are have HOA fees. They vary greatly. So, if this added fee is of concern, best you check with your Realtor before looking.

As an aside, I notice you are looking for a 2BR/2Ba with large yard for dogs. I am listing a 3/2 this coming week, with a great yard for dogs, and pretty low hoa fees. Please feel free to contact me for more info.

Phil Griffith, Russ Lyon Sothebys
602-330-7860
They sure do. I would highly recommend purchasing a single family home with no HOA or a condo/townhome is a small community, maybe 30 or less units. Trust me you'll be thanking me later.

Jeff Devorkin
i Go Urban Realty
iGoUrban.com
Greetings,

if you are trying to avoid HOA fees, perhaps a small single family dwelling would be more liking to you, although some of the condo complexes do have minimal HOA fees. If you want a complex with pool, fitness center, etc, you can expect HOA fees around $200/month, but this can vary, this is the mid-range. North Scottsdale is a very large area, there are so many subdivisions and complexes to visit. Would love to help you:) Fees are generally noted on the listing document in the MLS.

Gloria MacKay, ABR, e-PRO, GRI, CDPE, CNE, CLHMS, REALTOR®
CDPE Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist Million Dollar Guild
HomeSmart Elite Group
602-315-2402 mobile
602-749-6293 e-fax
gloria@mackayfinehomes.com
http://www.mackayfinehomes.com
Just by their nature, condos and townhomes all have HOAs. They have to have someone or some company responsible for maintaining the outside of the condos as well as the common property. If HOA fees are an issue, look for communities that don't have pools and a lot of common area. If you want those amenities, be prepared for hefty fees.
Almost all Cond/Apt have HOA fees. Some are higher than the other. It depends on the area. I know Scottsdale area very well. I have helped, and I'm helping clients secure properties in the Scottsdale area. Call or e mail me today and I will forward you a list of Cond/Apt that are available in the Scottsdale area.
Grace Adewumi
Realty One Group
602-769-0890
gracea@realtyoneaz.com
http://www.house2buyorsell.com
You will need to find a single family home or patio home to have a yard, also a lot town homes have small yards
Hi
Yes! all condos have association fees, associations can be a pain but they need the fees to maintain the community pools, grounds, insurance, they usually include water and trash, roof repair or replacement, parking, salaries, club house, exterior, so they are a must, they do range in the amount of the fees so you might check into the fees before making an offer.Michelle
Yes, the condo units all have HOA fees. Also, depending on the community, they might have restrictions on pets, i.e. breeds, weight, etc., so that's something to consider also.
All the condos have HOA fees.

I would be happy to assist you to find a condo that meets your criteria.

Marrina Clendenen
Keller Williams Arizona Realty
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
Email: marrinalin@gmail.com
One of the amazing things about N Scottsdale is the maintenance and upkeep of the neighborhoods. The bright side of this expense is that HOA's play an intragal part in maintaining your property value. If you'll look at the history of property values in the Greater Phoenix area, you'll find that the property values in N Scottsdale we of the strongest. If you go way North, you can find property and build your own oasis to your own specs!
Yes all Condos have hoa fees.

Juan Pesqueira
American Associates Real Estate
Homes | Condos | Investments
Spanish and English speaking Realtor
Realtor, Appraiser
8930 E. Raintree Drive Suite 200
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Office 480-458-8007 | Fax 480.767.7200
email: pesqueira2@cox.net
Websites:
TEMPE REALTY CO. http://www.TempeHomesCondos.Com
LAVISH PAD BOUTIQUE – http://AZLuxuryHomeBlog.Com
TEMPE REAL ESTATE BLOG - http://TempeRealEstateBlog.wordpress.com

Yes Dreams Come True, Let me Show You!
Any condo, town home or co-op type of property with common areas is going to have an HOA. It would be impossible to maintain without one. Even.the majority of single family homes built today will have an HOA. The cost will depend on exactly how much of the property is maintained by HOA and the services they provide.

There are still many single family homes without HOA.
Congratulations on your decision to buy a home.
Yes, all of the condo and apartments will have HOA fess.
Please call me to discuss communities with lower (in Scottsdale) or no HOAs (not in Scottsdale)
480-966-9353
Steffy

Steffy Hristova, MBA, SFR, Realtor®
HomeSmart
Tel: (480) 966-9353 Fax: (602) 507-3703
3131 E. Camelback Rd. #125
Phoenix AZ 85016
My daughter Jill is a great Scottsdale, north Phoenix Realtor that would be glad to help you find a wonderful place. No charge to you for her services.