Home Selling in Portland>Question Details

Home Seller, Home Seller in Portland, OR

I accidentally deleted my question so re-asking...what's the best way to proactively market my home online?

Asked by Home Seller, Portland, OR Tue May 22, 2012

My Realtor has done a great job of taking professional photos, putting together a virtual tour and she does regular e-blasts. What else can I do to get my home noticed by more Realtors and buyers?

Answers

11
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. The information has been very helpful and given us a few new ideas. We also reduced the price of our West Sylvan home by $40k putting us into a lower "search range" so hopefully that exposes our home to a wider audience of Realtors and buyers. Thanks again! It's much appreciated.
The key to this question is the word proactive! What is it that the agents are doing after the first week or two on the market. The best place to focus on is the internet. This is your 24/7 sales machine that does not stop after the first week or so. Many agents will say you will be on the internet...and that's great. To me, being on the internet and "marketing on the internet" are two different things. One important aspect of internet marketing is to show up when buyers are searching specific keywords. Searching for "Homes for sale in Forest Heights" You will see the typical Trulia and Zillow sites show up...but what about making your listing stand out from the others? I specialize with condos in the Pearl, South Waterfront and downtown and to me the most important thing is to make my listings stand out from the other hundreds of condo listings. If you don't have websites that show up on the important keyword searches, there are ways of standing out with pay-per-click ads. While these are not as effective as being a top organically ranked website, it still stands out more than being "just another listing on a portal site".
You can have the best photos in the world and the coolest brochures that money can buy but if you don't stand out...no one is ever going to see those cool brochures!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 26, 2012
Discuss with your Realtor, where else on the internet she could place photos and info on your home..
There are many many places on the internet where the homes are listed automatically and then there are others she could individually place them...... specialty open houses for only Realtors to preview
the homes.... just talk with your agent to see what else she is already doing and still could be doig
or if its only the pricing that keeps buyers from showing up.

Good luck to you...
Edith YourRealtor4Life! Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients - Buyers, Sellers and Investors Alike. I cover the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs and the fine homes on
the North Shore and cover for clients US States and acquisitions worldwide with partner agents.
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
@Properties North Shore
I am wondering why you are asking the question? How long has your home been on the market? Everyone else here is right, buyers want three things, pictures, lots of them and good quality photos, virtual tours and lots of property details. BUT the most important thing buyers look for is a home that is priced appropriately. You say your realtor has a done a great job and I agree. So, if you are still not getting the traffic you want, perhaps it's time for a price reduction. Just food for thought.
No question, great photos. By the time a buyer actually sets foot in your home, they have looked at the pictures & tour online, Googled the location, walked up and down the street and viewed it every which way possible on the maps, probably driven by and now setting foot in the house is about your 4th showing with that one buyer.

I use multiple sites with enhanced listings to create a strong online presence, but still believe in getting in front of other Realtors who have properties listed nearby or are selling homes in your area to communicate the strong value proposition of your home.

Buyers often know the market better than we do these days - if they are looking for a home, their addiction to RMLS, Realtor.com, Zillow, Trulia and hundreds of other sites that consolidate the MLS listings is fierce. Part of our job is to help them sort through this abundance of information and that is where hands on communications with other professionals provides an added edge.
maybe a sit down with your agent is more appropriate than posting here... there are a lot of opinions out there - such as facebook pages for homes and so on that do not always work - knowing your buyer is your best bet and your agent will know that from what you are saying....
I would say to have your Realtor show you all of the websites that your home is posted on. Obviously, more is better. At a minimum it should be on all of the major real estate portals. Then make sure your asking price is at or a little below the market comps in your neighborhood/area to maximize the amount of "eyeballs" viewing your home. Hope that helps!

Steve Thoele
Principal Broker
Keller Williams Realty-Portland Premiere
I have a long list of websites I promote to on my website. Online marketing is my number one focus (because it produces the most results).
There are lots of things that can be done. Focus on a firm that specializes in online marketing. Obviously great exposure through the MLS (RMLS locally) with high quality photos, virtual tour and the like. Making sure that the hundreds of places that scrape the MLS got it right (this often simply requires going live with everything done correctly, or close to correctly the first time. In addition cragslist postings garner a good amount of additional traffic. More recently, Facebook Fan Pages have been a great way to attract lots more organic activity through google and the like, however, that will require your agent to know how to set this up for you (or you to do so for yourself) and you to request that your friends "like" your home's fan page. That's probably one of the biggest things that can attract lots of attention that is a newer method of garnering interest. There's lots more (like if your home is of a particular architectural vintage, there may be fan sites that can get the attention of "junkies" for that style of architecture, your agent can certainly look into getting you onto some of those sites as well if appropriate). I hope this is a help. If you want to reach me to further discuss you can at jeremy.fershleiser@ziprealty.com or 503.351.8060.

Kind Regards,

Jeremy
Get in touch with a realtor have them get it everywhere on line- yes it does cost but thats why some of us agents pay for things like that - so that you get the most exposure possible!
hire an agent that truly works for you - I do not market your area but have a lot of great agent friends that I would be happy to have contact you