Home Selling in Hull>Question Details

Jeannette Ma…, Other/Just Looking in Cape Coral, FL

I'M TRYING TO SELL MY HOME IN HULL. IT'S DIRECT WATERFRONT ON THE BAY DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM WORLD'S END. CAN I NEGOTIATE AN AGENT'S FEE?

Asked by Jeannette Macdonald, Cape Coral, FL Sat Jun 22, 2013

Answers

10
All fees can be negotiated just like anything.

Instead of focusing on fees, I would encourage you to look at a bunch of things when hiring a real estate agent to list your home. The quality of the information the agent is providing you in market data as well as suggestions to prepare your home is important. Secondly, the marketing an agent will do on your home is important.

I have quantifiable results of homes that I have sold where I have charged a higher commission and NETTED THE SELLER MORE MONEY!! For example, 3 stand alone condominiums that were on the market at the same time. Identical units.

One was a for sale by owner (over a year on the market), one was listed with another agent (6 months on the market) and one was listed by me (sold in 45 days). They should have all sold with in a few thousand dollars of each other. Mine sold for $45,000 over the for sale by owner, $17,000 more then the other agent. So approx. 13% more then the for sale by owner, and 5% more then the other agent. I would have charged you more money, but guess what...... I WOULD HAVE PUT MORE MONEY IN YOUR POCKET. Isn't that what you are truly concerned about?

Many time when an agent discounts their commission they are also discounting your services. I pay for a home stager and provide professional level photography and video. If you ask me to cut my commission, I will also cut those services to compete with the agent that will list for x% lower then I charge and will use their iphone to photograph your home and throw it on the MLS.

If I do decide to discount my commission and offer you full services, it will be because your home is in great shape, you are willing to price it reasonably and you are willing to co-operate with the sale. Basically, if I think it will sell quickly, I will consider reducing my commission.

It's all relative, focus on the value the agent brings to the table in regards of commission vs services versus YOUR BOTTOM LINE!

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 22, 2013
Hello Jeannette,
I am a broker in Hull, and I would be happy to talk with you about your question, as well as any other questions you may have. Please don't hesitate to email or call me.
Hi Jeannette,

If you are looking for a discounted business arrangement, your property should be in pristine condition.
If it is, then the years that true professionals have spent developing a client list for your particular location may pay off for you in a short time on the market.
Of course, the true professinal then will appear to have sold your home "quickly" to a client who may have been looking at properties for a year or more.

You arent' just hiring a phone answerer to put you property on the Internet.
Managing a "waterfront" sale can become very complicated.
Conservation, sewer or septic, necessry repairs, and restrictions in the deed or from the town all need to be researched, and presented/disclosed.

My company is comprised of watefront specialists.
You can see our web site at http://www.RobertPaul.com.

I was unable to identify a waterfront location for you.
If you are asking about #8, down the block from the water rather than on the water may affect the marketability and will affect the value.
The most recent sales at 60 and 15 were closer to the water and may provide some idea of value.

Buyers today are more informed than ever before, and many have a professional(s) working directly for them.
I would find the best professional to represent my own interests and to save time and money.
(I'm on the Cape, but I can help you choose a local pro if you want help doing so.)

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Hello Jeannette,

as you can see the short answer is yes you can but this (the fee) is just one aspect, one moving part of the many, in selling a house. The good news is that talking to any of us is free. So, take advantage of that and talk to a few brokers/agents. Remember that, other than marketing strategies, you will be working with this person for a little bit of time so it is, in my opinion, just as important to select some one whose personality/character you click with.
Commission are negotiable, but also keep in mind that your realtor pays for the marketing of your house out of pocket in advanced before he/she even makes a commission. Consider that he/she might spend less $$$ to market your house if you think before he even gets started that he is not worth it.
Commissions are negotiable and are not fixed. Some agents will reduce their fees and some won't. Consumers are the ultimate decider of value and as such only you can determine the value that one brings to the table. If the home is priced properly, the condition is what it should be based on that price, the location is desirable and market conditions are strong, the house will sell.
Hi Jeanne, Price is the issue in the absence of value. Like Linda says below The William Raveis Exceptional Properties marketing platform will garner exposure for your home that is second to none. Add to this my savvy internet marketing skills (just google me) and you will see that sometimes the fee is well worth it. Or visit my website for more details at http://www.WilliamTierney.net
Hi Jeannette,
Most agencies will negotiate fees but we do split the fee with buyer agents so that is something to keep in mind. My agency specializes in Exceptional Properties and yours certainly sounds like one! Please give me a call and we can discuss how our marketing strategies can help get your home sold. Thank you.

Linda Saucier, LMC
William Raveis Real Estate
53 Railroad Ave.
Duxbury, Ma. 02332
508-728-6208
Hi Jeanette
My suggestion is to interview a couple of agents.You will want to ask about their marketing plan--What will you do to get my house sold? The commission charged should only be part of the conversation. I would be happy to provide a free no obligation market analysis on your home. 781.363.0485
Yes, BUT since most deals are done with cooperating brokers who will split the few, you will compromise the amount of showing you get with potential buyers because buyers agent won't want to show it. A better strategy is to have a great agent who will maximize the price you can get in the current market. I work in miami and hull. Let me know if I can help. Thomas Grimshaw. 305-321-1303. My family are long term successful Realtors in Hull.