Home Selling in Denver>Question Details

Scott, Real Estate Pro in Denver, CO

How to find an attorney to handle a for sale by owner real estate contract?

Asked by Scott, Denver, CO Mon Jun 27, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Whenever you are looking for an attorney for any reason, you can go to the Colorado Bar Association web site, http://www.cobar.org. They have a "Find a Lawyer" button that allows you to search for attorneys by geographic area or by their area of practice. You can also call the Metropolitan Lawyer Referral Service and talk to a counselor, who will help find you the right lawyer for your problem. That website is http://www.mlrsonline.org/index.html.

Several people have suggested hiring a Realtor to serve as a transaction broker, and that may be a good idea. If the Realtor takes a percentage, you might be able to get an attorney to draft the documents for less. The attorney may have the documents in an electronic form and be able to fill them out just like the Realtor would, and may charge a flat fee or an hourly rate. Two hours of lawyer time (which is quite a lot) shouldn't run you more than $500.

Good luck!
2 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
I have referred numerous clients to Stephen Oxman, Oxman and Oxman, P.C., 210 Clayton St., Denver 80206, 303-321-3747.

Nancy F. Sharpe
Sharpe Associates, LLC
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
Most attorneys will charge about $1500 to do both sides or $750 per side. I am not an attorney but have closed several transactions with and without Title Company participation. I charge $500 per side or both sides for $900.

Tim Klein
Metro Brokers - The Realty Werks
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
I would recommend Mark Lewis, works for himself, rather than a big firm. 303-745-5200. Very good. Very reasonable. If you want a larger firm I would recommend Frascona and Joiner 303-494-3000. We have used them also.
If you have price, terms and values, that is probably all you need. If want assistance negotiating price, deteriming fair market value, inspections and the other factors that come into play in the purhcase of real estate, then you may want to hire a broker to represent you as a Buyer agent in the transaction.
Yours truly,
Luke Gordon
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
I second Daniel Markofsky. Top notched attorney who knows real estate and also business. I have been in many a closing with Daniel and he has always proved himself extremely valuable.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
Hi Scott, having a Realtor do your transaction as a transaction broker will put your transaction into MLS reflecting the neighborhood sales. If you need real estate related advice from an attorney, I always recommend Oliver Frascona 303-494-3000. He has assisted many of my clients. If you are looking for an easy transaction, and already have a buyer, a Realtor could be a smoother and quicker road!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
Hi Scott,

I recommend Daniel Markofsky. He specializes in real estate contracts. 303-455-2618

Scott Beville, REALTOR
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
Why don't you just use a Realtor as a transaction Broker. They can use standard Colorado contracts and will most likely be much cheaper than a lawyer. Please keep in mind that Realtors are not lawyers and are always supposed to recommend a lawyer when in question. However, a "FSBO" is no different then any other transaction and Realtors are free to negotiated any price for services.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
I use Ken Levinson 303-571-1234 for any situations that my clients might need. See if he is interested in helping you. Best of luck!

Bill Pearson
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
If the buyer interested in purchasing your home has a real estate broker, they should be able to assist you in writing the contracts. If they are also unrepresented, you can contact a real estate attorney to complete the necessary paperwork for a fee. The magazine 5280 does their "Top Lawyers" issue every year and that is a great place to find highly recommended attorneys. Their website is http://www.5280.com. There are also many limited service brokers and broker associates in the area that would be willing to write up the documents for a flat fee instead of a commission. Let me know if this helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
I would suggest contacting a local real estate company and ask for a real estate attorney referral.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
I recommend Greg Parham 720-838-2180
J.David Lampe, REALTOR
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer