Home Selling in Durham>Question Details

Taj Wilson, Home Seller in Durham, NC

How to find a realtor?

Asked by Taj Wilson, Durham, NC Sun Jun 23, 2013

I've recently purchased a property in Durham, NC with the intention of flipping it. It has been renovated, and now I'm looking to put it on the market within the next week or so. What is the best way to go about finding a realtor? Do I just call random offices or select someone from a site like trulia? Ideally, I would like to "interview" a few candidates to see if our personalities and goals match in order to make the process more swift. I would like the realtor to be an extension of myself as weird as it sounds. All help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

10
Taj! you have just improved your neighborhood by renovating your home.Change your wording from flipping to" improving the neighborhood" this is a better visual! Call someone who has experience in this category.For the folks who renovate correctly, you not only improved the neighborhood, you have won the hearts of your neighbors. I have renovated several homes on streets that were rental homes. I turned them into single family homes. Now the streets are full of satisfied homeowners. Be remembered as one of them.Jay Andorfer, Agent
Taj,

When flipping a house you need it to sell in a timely manner. You need someone with a marketing plan that will hit you like a ton of bricks! Don't fall into the program used 98% of the time, the Three P's.

1. Put the sign up.
2. Put it in the computer
3. Pray it sells.

It takes a lot more than that to get the job done! Pick up the latest copy of the Homes and Land Magazine and see who is doing some advertising.

Our firm has several clients that flip homes on a regular basis.

Let's Talk!

Alan Trammel
Trammel Brothers Realtors
(919) 730-2908
Hello Mr. Wilson,

Congratulations!! I would be happy to assist you with selling your first 'flip' and purchasing your second and third investment properties.

I am Angie Striblin a native of North Carolina currently residing in Durham. As a real estate agent with Keller Williams Realty, I offer personal, efficient and effective professional service for all your real estate needs including getting your home sold for the best price, in less time and with less hassle. At KW, I have all the ongoing training, the best technology, and coaching to stay apprised of current market conditions and trends in this ever changing industry. Plus, my clients get all my enthusiasm and dedication.

Please feel free to check out my website at http://www.angiestriblinhomes.com. I look forward to working with you.

Angie Striblin, REALTOR
919-951-1832
I am the Realtor that you are looking for. I have plenty of experience with investment property and I am knowledgable about values, locations, markets, and the math required to flip with a strong profit. I teach a class titled " The Role of the Realtor" and the first topic is "How to Find a Realtor". The overwhelming answer is ; through Refferals of your friends, family, or associates that can recommend a Realtor that has sucessfully helped others to navigate the complexities of Real Estate. I will be happy to give you references as well as interview with you. My over 33 years in the business allows me to share experiences and lessons with you to help you make a wise decision. I can be reached at 919-614-6264 Cell or by e-mail at ivan@serviceplusrealty.com Thank you for your question, your time and consideration and "Good Flipping"

Ivan K. Owens/Broker-in Charge
Realtor,ABR,CSP.CRS,E-Pro,GRI, JD
Service Plus Realty, Inc.
Taj,

We often recommend that people in your situation "step outside the box" and attend open houses, not for the purpose of seeing the home but observing the agent that is hosting the event. Having an appreciation for how people relate to others, think on their feet, have a working understanding of local real estate, etc. are important considerations when considering a realtor.

Having a few general questions can open the door to informative conversations. How are you marketing this home beyond doing open houses? What's the best buy out there that is not listed by you or your company? How is the local market doing? How long has this home been on the market?

By approaching it in this manner, you already know the agent is motivated to a degree because they are sitting the open house and you get an opportunity to do an informal interview without them even knowing it.

While finding someone that you mes with may seem important to you, it's not the most important thing by a long shot. Are you looking for a friend or are you looking for a professional to offer you counsel, experience and who is a master marketer?

In real estate Experience trumps Enthusiasm every time, and certainly half the working Realtors out there don't know the first thing about really marketing a property and even if they did don't earn enough money to make the financial commitment.

When you're interviewing Realtors I'd suggest asking them to show you a spread sheet of all the properties they have successfully sold in the last year or two, they can print this out or email it to you from the local MLS system and if they don't know how to do this, there's your first clue your not speaking to the right Realtor.

Check on sites like Trulia, Zillow, etc to see who's showing up at the top in the Find a Pro area for Durham, trust me they don't show up there by accident. Check out some of their reviews. Ask them what their position is on "dual Agency" If they practice it you've just learned their willing to through both you and their buyer under the bus to fend for yourselves as they focus on the commission.

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me through my profile here on Trulia.
Your questions will differ from what you would ask a buyer's agent, so don't apply all of these guidelines.

1. Referrals - testimonials. Look online or ask the realtor to speak to former clients. The more in depth the overall testimonials, the more passionate the agent is likely to be. A number of referrals that say things like, "great, really good job, highly recommend" are a concern.

2. Personality: But be careful about the extension of self thing. You want somebody you can get along with, and who treats you, and responds to you, in a manner you feel comfortable with. But this is a business, not a dating service, so try not to get too wrapped up in the minutia of the interview.

3. Sales history - see how long it took to sell various listings and at what percentage of list price, but don't fixate on one as there are sometimes variables beyond a realtor's control (a terrible property, a reluctant homeseller). An agent must, absolutely must know how to price your property or you will regret your choice in realtor and end up back on Trulia's advice purgatory.

4. Marketing - Since the majority of homes sell through websites affiliated with Realtor owned MLS, don't get too caught up in Open Houses (scam to get more clients for realtor), Promotions, seldom used classifieds, man in a chicken costume recruiting passers by, etc.

But do ask to see past marketing materials. A buyer leaving a house with a detailed list of upgrades and photos is more likely to remember it after seeing 10 other properties. This should look professional, not photo-shopped by an 8 year old. Floor plans are great ideas as are drawings showing possible improvements that can be done (even including estimated cost). Photos and videos posted online should be high quality (always ask to see previous listing materials).

4 b. Staging - A agent must understand what needs to go and what can stay and what should be brought in. If you are told to simply vacuum and clean up, you are stuck with a Realtor Reject.

Homes sell because they show well and are priced right. If an agent can prove they have this ability, you found your realtor.
Hi Taj
You are very wise in looking for a Realtor that suits you personalty. Most Realtor's are capable of listing, marketing and selling your home finding one you are comfortable with is the key.
Good Luck,
Michael
Taj,
Yes, you will want to "interview" the agents or at least read their profiles here on Trulia. You will have an insight into the agent by that and their personality. Then pick up the phone and see if they answer and you will have a feel for them from that as well. I have investors as well as buyers some agents are ok with working with investors others do not and some agents only work with buyers and some only list property. Some do this part time others full time. I hope this is helpful feel free to give me a shout if you have any other questions.

Deborah Rigsbee Miller, Broker, SFR
Coldwell Banker Advantage
919-491-2826
I would suggest that you check local realtor's websites to find a few to call over to interview and to look at your property with them. I agree, it is a big decision, and you do want to mesh with someone who will be representing you during the sale of your property.
Please call me to arrange such a meeting at (919) 323-0271.