Home Selling in Jacksonville>Question Details

Missarlene, Home Seller in Jacksonville, FL

How to choose a seller's agent?

Asked by Missarlene, Jacksonville, FL Sun Jun 5, 2011

What are the best questions to ask when interviewing for a seller's agent?

Answers

15
How long have you been selling real estate in my area?

How many homes have you sold in the last 12 months?

What was the average ratio between the listing price and the selling price of your listings?

What percentage of your listings sold in the last 12 months?

Why should I sign a list with you?

How long is the listing agreement?

How will you determine at the asking price for my home and why?

Will you do a comparative market analysis and explain it to me?

What is the average length of time homes are on the market in my neighborhood?

How many houses in my neighborhood are currently on the market?

What will your online and offline marketing plan be for my house?

Will you list my home on non-MLS Web sites?

How will you make my home stand out among all the other listings?

Do you have a personal Web site where you'll be featuring my home?
Web Reference: http://yourhome.org
Often when choosing an agent people focus on the how many homes the agent has sold. The idea being the best agents sell the most homes. A more important question is how many they didn't sell. Who is the better agent: the one who lists 40 homes and sells 20 or the agent that lists 8 and sells 8?
Miss Arlene,

There are plenty of things to consider when choosing a listing agent. Experience (not necessarily years), a proven track record, referrals, recommendations, and most of all, a specific marketing plan to sell your home.
How will the agent market your home? Will they have open houses and host a Broker's open house? How many websites will your home be placed on and are they enhanced sites? How are their brochures? Ask for samples of one as well as a sample of pictures that they have posted on various websites.
It is also critical that a listing agent have the resources to supply professional stagers for a free analysis as well as the resources to prepare your home for sale (if required). Another question is how much market share does the listing Broker have in your area. Not all companies are the same and they do not provide the same level of service. There is a difference!

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Associate Broker
CARTUS Certified Relocation Specialist
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com
215-803-3237 (mobile)
215-794-1070 x103 (office)
http://www.FrankDolski.com
Web Reference: http://www.FrankDolski.com
Good morning Missarlene,

Some good answers here for you... We can all do the same basic things for you (prepare listing agreement, enter listing into MLS, take photographs, etc.) ~ it's really the expertise & the attitude of the agent that matter most. Some agents think that, once they take the listing, their work is done. My theory is that, once I take the listing, my work has just begun for you!

Our marketing program & internet presence at Coldwell Banker Vanguard are phenomenal. Our broker stays on the cutting edge of technology and provides the programs that work best to get your home sold for top dollar. Houses ARE selling right now, even though the nightly news sounds grim. There are lots of interested buyers & the interest rates remain wonderfully low.

The process to get your house sold is a partnership between your family & the agent/brokerage you hire. The teamwork between the two is what makes the process enjoyable, rather than stressful.

I would love to help you with this ~ just call.
Have a great week!

Lynn Brier-De La Cruz, REALTOR, LMC
Coldwell Banker Vanguard Realty
904-343-8586
The question you should ask is "Will you tell the me the truth even if I don't want to hear it?" In todays market setting the tone of your sell will be the most important. WILL YOUR AGENT LIST YOUR HOME AT A PRICE THAT IS COMFORTABLE TO YOU JUST TO GET THE LISTING OR WILL HE/SHE TELL YOU THE TRUTH WHAT THE HOUSE WILL SELL FOR. Call me and we can discuss it Lance Sheridan 904.803.1764

Interview several and chose.

Blaine Rabe
Remax
904-874-0814
Get an outgoing agent who is up to date with technology and knows the market. Internet marketing is the #1 way to sell a home. Most people shop online before ever contacting a Realtor. Start with a great Brand name company. Good real estate companies educate their agents and keep them up to date with the latest technology including QR codes and other smart phone applications. These are great they allow people to use their smart phone to scan and pull up the listing right on their phone.

Also choose the agent that tells you the truth about pricing etc even if you don't like it. It will do you no good for them to tell you exactly what you want to hear. An overpriced home will not sell.

Shonda Sauls, REALTOR®
Prudential Network Realty
Cell (904)962-6139
Office (904)260-4300 #327
Fax (904)292-2060
Website http://www.shondasauls.com
Interview several Realtors and have them prepare a complete listing proposal detailing advertising, their market strategy, and how they will help you prepare your home. Pictures are a large part of any Listing plan and a visual tour will bring more hits thus more interest in the home

Doug Dickie, Realtor, Property Manager
Zenith Realty, Inc
904 568-7080
904 215-0676 Office
Hi Arlene, Tough to follow these good answers before me. I've worked with a couple of these agents and they're good at what they do. Agents will help you price your property accordingly. Give advise on helping your property show better. Write an inviting description of your property. Order a photo tour and virtual tour. And make sure your listing is seen via internet all over the country. What I've seen decline is communication. I'm old school and am always available for my customers. Someone previously mentioned personality. Find someone you click with and that's your guy or girl. Have a Great Day

John Breen
904 349 0082
Interview in person a few local agents, or as many as needed from different realty companies, then choose the one you like best and who has the most to offer--again first and foremost make sure you like each other as you will be spending some together; ask what marketing strategies will be implemented; what plans will be put in place to coordinate meetings with buyers; what feedback/communication can you expect and with what frequency; will data be supplied to help establish a fair and marketable asking price; will buyers be pre-screened and required to have mortgage pre-approvals when submitting offers; what other services does the agency offer, if any, etc.
Missarlene, you need to ask how they will advertise your property and ask them if they know the area. As a State Certified Residential Real Estate Appraiser and a REMAX Realtor I know the local market. Please feel free to call me or email with any questions 904-962-8089 dprice@agentlink.net
Don Price USN-RET
REMAX Specialists
Remember that personallity plays a vital role when choosing a Listing Agent. You need to ensure that you and your agent will be able to speak frankly with one another and that you feel comfortable with that person as well.

Treat it lik an interview. You want the most production out of your agent, and if your agent is able to convince you of the market price then you have found a winner. Remember that price is everything. Any agent that tells you otherwise obviously doesn't know what they are talking about. Make sure that you listen to them when pricing your home. Don't be caught chasing the market.......you will be sorely dissappointed.
What are you willing to invest in selling my home?
How available are you to us and other agents?
Is your schedule flexible enough to meet our needs?
Will you allow the buyer's agent to personally present offers to us?
Will you include us in all correspondence including e-mail with all parties involved?
Do you take the photos yourself or use a professional photographer?
How will you market our home?
Do you think as an agent you can represent both sides of selling our home with our best interest in mind?

In my professional opinion, your agent should focus on representing you as the seller and allow the buyer to have their own representation. It is most important that you have your home on the MLS for a minimum of seven (7) days to allow the best offer to be presented to you. Exclusive listings do not benefit the seller because it doesn't allow all buyers the abililty to know your home is available for sale.
Great questions by Phil -
I would add these:

What kind of marketing will you do to market my home?
How often will I hear from you?
What is your list price to sales price ratio?
What is your average Days On Market?
Have you sold any houses in my neighborhood?

I would Google the agent 's name, and if they don't dominate the first page, they don't understand the internet, which is where all the buyers are.

Please let us know if there are any other questions that we can help you with.

If this has been helpful to you, please give it a "thumbs up."

Sharon Alters
Frank & Sharon Alters
Coidwell Banker Vanguard Realty
904-673-2308
sharon@teamalters.com
Web Reference: http://teamalters.com
What is your opinion on the starting list price for my property?
What services to you provide in the listing of my property?
Have you listed properties and/or are you familiar with properties in my area?
Are you a full time or part time agent?
How long have you been a real estate agent; and how many properties did you close last year?
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com