Home Selling in Newcastle>Question Details

Coco, Home Seller in Newcastle, WA

How should a seller expect their agent to market their home?

Asked by Coco, Newcastle, WA Thu Apr 17, 2008

Answers

13
Every seminar, every buyer, every expert all say pictures, pictures, pictures and virtual tours, your agent should have a a sound marketing plan for your home.

I have a professional photographer do photos an a virtual tour.
Our MLS has several photo options. I make sure there are at least a dozen photos in the photo section of MLS and that a virtual tour is posted in MLS. All data is accurate and include room sizes, lot sizes etc.

85% of home buyers start their home search online. It is important that you home be listed in popular websites. I subscribe to Realtor.com. I do showcase listings which includes multiple photos, virtual tours, video tours and a multi-paragraph write up about you home. Realtor.com is expensive for an agent to do if you do showcase and featured listings. This site is the number 1 site for searches with over 5.5 million hits a month. Here is a link to one of my listings on that site http://www.realtor.com/realestate/jacksonville-fl-32256-1094…
If you do a serach in your area you will see that 90% of the listings have one photo and not much information. . It is even difficult to determine the agent who has the home listed. The showcase listing and featured listings makes it easy for a potential buyer to contact the agent.
The number 2 website according to the link provided is RE/MAX
http://www.marketingcharts.com/interactive/top-10-real-estat…
As a RE/MAX agent all my homes are featured there.
I also advertise on Homes.com, Zillow.com, Turlia, Craigs list, my personal web sites,( I have several) All my homes are listed on two international sites.
Several of my listings have their own websites http://www.14518fenney.com. I do pay per click advertising for the individual homes directing traffic to the site
When necessary I have a professional stager come in.
Color brochures, CD's, tirfold brochures, multipage booklets, signs, tak one flyers, and e-cards.
I stage my own vacant homes decorating the kitchen and baths.
I do follow-up calls to showing agents for feedback and relay that feedback to the seller.
My most successful listings in today's market reduce sales price every 3 to 4 weeks until the home sells.
Web Reference: http://www.cathysloan.com
sort of a duplicate of your other question. You should expect your agent to market your house in a way that it reaches the most potential buyers and agents. Right now, .. most buyers are online or will be online at some point in their house search. Therefore I dedicate a huge portion of my marketing and advertising to putting out a quality and attractive online shopping experience. Open houses used to be popular because that's the only way people could get to see the inside of the house. Now with websites and digital cameras and all, buyers don't need to leave home to see what your house looks like.

The marketing plan of this new age..in my opinion...is pretty simple ... but what differentiates one agent from another is not only their plan, but how well they execute their plan.

Sure sure,..open houses do sometimes work, but it's so infrequently that it's big news when it does. Find out what your agent's marketing plan is ...and then find out how much of it have they executed.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 18, 2008
The expectation is set by the agent for the actions that they promise to fulfill on. I wouldn't make up anything you think they should be doing and not communicate with the agent about it. Get their plan in writing and make sure the execute what they promise.
Web Reference: http://getprequalified.com
There is no standard answer--Each home is unique and must be marketed as such.

Open houses, virtual tours, free bottles of water, etc., etc., etc., are great. But they don't really matter. That ain't marketing--That's gimmicks.

Talk to your agent and find out what they will do, specifically, to market and sell your home. Good luck!
JR

I agree there are some floor plans that do not show well on Virtual tours. In our area of Florida most of the homes I sell offer open floor plans. If the floorplan is wrong I feature video tours which with Circlepix is mostly a slide presentation of the still photos. Sometimes a home is in an area that doesn't present a good virtual of the exterior. I use the video presentation on those also.

I have been reading in many other post on Trulia and Zillow that virtual tours are beginning to loose some of their appeal to buyers. The complaint is that they take too long to load. I have found that only those truly interested in a home will open the virtual. That is why I offer as many photos as possible of the home as well as video and virtual tours. I have also come across a two virtual tour companies that lock up my computer every time I try to download one of their virtual tours to view.
Oh, golly, Coco--I think if you click on my picture, then go to my Public Answers and click on that, you can scroll through and find my "stuff." There are several answers that include marketing tips.

do you have a home that has been sitting on the market? to get showings and offers, three things must be in line--condition, price, and marketing. No matter how much marketing is done, if the first two aren't in line with your market, there will be no showings and no offers.

Did or does your agent have a marketing plan that they provided to you? Are they following that?

If they haven't provided you with a written marketing plan, ask them to make one for you and deliver it by the end of this week, so you can keep it with your records. Or call their broker, and let him or her know that you are concerned that your home is not getting enough exposure, and that you don't know what your agent is doing to market. Also, that you would really like phone call or email once a week reporting what the agent is doing--even if sometimes there is nothing to report. That should get some dialog started and some answers for you!

There is no single one method of marketing that sells a home. There is no one method that does not sell a home. The marketing should be structured to maximize exposure to ready, willing, and able Buyers who will desire your home.

If your home is overpriced or in less than super condition, that is something the agent should tell you honestly.

What has your agent been doing, as far as you know?

I hope this helps--if you still can't get to my Trulia answers let me know!
I see that several on here do not believe that virtual tours are effective.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I did not say that. I said that virtual tours are wonderful for certain floor plans but not others.
I get stats from circlepix regarding views of the photos, video tours and virtual tours. I have noticed in the past two months that the virtual tours do not get viewed as often as they once did. I Have sold two homes in the past 6 months from the virtual tours. In Nov 2007 & Jan 2008 I had homes sell to individuals who never saw the homes before the week of closing. They purchased the homes from viewing all photos, video tours and virtual tours.

If the stats for virtual tours continues to decline, it may be food for thought as to do them or not. Currently the cost for professional photos and video tours includes the virtual so I will contine to do them on most properties. Some smaller properties do not show as well on virtual tours so I omit those.
Linda, your profile says nothing about how you market a home. Thanks for your answer though. I might be looking in the wrong place. You could always copy and paste text so you don't have to re-type.
I gave Cathy a thumbs up for the detail of her response below. However I disagree that virtual tours are important.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I agree with Mark. Unless the home has an open floor plan and large rooms, I don't use a virtual tour.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2008
Hi Coco!

Please see my profile, and look at my answers involving marketing--I just don't have the energy to type them out again!

Have you asked your agent to provide you with a copy of the marketing plan for your home?

Just as important as WHAT the agent does, is how consistent, how often, how many methods of marketing he or she uses.

A good agent has a solid plan and reasons for the kinds of marketing they do. For instance, I don't advertise in the local paper unless my Seller is absolutely adamant. It is not effective advertising in my opinion and experience.

I get much better results from targeted marketing and networking, local agent association tours, and reverse prospecting, just to name a few of my marketing activities.

Best wishes! I hope this helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2008
I'm going to keep my answer short & simple. Before you decided to use the agent that you decided to use, there should have been some expectations laid out. What you expect of them, as well as what they expect of you. During that time, the agent should have laid out, for you, their marketing plan/strategy. That said, you should not only expect, but demand that they live up to their part of the agreement. If they don't, send 'em packing. Different agents have different ideas & strategies in regards to marketing. None of them are necessarily wrong or right. It's what works for YOU! Best of Luck!
Coco,

I gave Cathy a thumbs up for the detail of her response below. However I disagree that virtual tours are important. Very few buyers that I talk with use them. Usually load time and software issues just slow down a persons search. A good photo gallery is more effective, especially if marketing comments can be included along side the pictures.