Home Selling in Grandview>Question Details

Paula, Home Seller in 37337

How often should my house be showing per week?

Asked by Paula, 37337 Wed Mar 3, 2010

My house is listed for sale what is the average number of viewing for a house per week?

Answers

7
Paula,

This is a spectacular question! Absolutely there is an answer to your question. Several areas of Tennessee have pretty good markets. In a spectacular market like 2005, a correctly priced home in the Knoxville and Nashville areas could expect to see 7 to 10 showings a week. In the current, good market, you should feel good about one showing a week. Talking to agents across Tennessee, we've seen the first weekend on market a little bit slower than before, then the second week see 3 or so showings, then level out to 1 a week. In the outlying areas, like where you are near Rockwood and Crossville, expect even fewer showing, just due to supply and demand. That being said, a poorly priced home in any location in any market will see little to no showings.
The home that I am renting is being put on the market for sale due to the landlords financial situation. My question is when they show my rental to prospective buyers, what are my rights as far as realestate agents entering my home and leaving it a mess when they finish showing it, leaving doors and cabnets open, not respecting how I keep my home, what are my rights and how do I stop feeling violated everytime some stranger enters my home.
Michael
Paula,

There is really no set answer for this question. Ideally, you want as many showings as possible. Market Conditions in your area could be a factor. If you own a high end home, and your market is depressed lately due to economic factors your home may not be shown as often as a starter home in the same market area. So your agent will make recommendations that are specific to your area.

Please understand that you have to make the most of every showing. If your agent asks you to remove clutter, freshing up some paint, or remove debris from your lawn know that if you follow their suggestions you will have a better chance of capturing the interest of the right buyer. If there are no condition issues and you still have limited interest with no offers, you and your agent should review homes pricing. A reduction in price may be needed to drum up more buyers willing, ready, and able to purchase your property. Good Luck, I hope you sell your property quickly!
Paula
The truth is that there actually are standard expectations for marketing your home.

Here are some key points that you need to know:
In any market there is a "market within the market". If you could look in your MLS there should be a report that shows the homes that sold in the last month by 30 day increments and the selling price versus the list price. Ask your Realtor to show you.
In my MLS it shows that about 25% of listings sell within 30 days at 103% of asking price. That means that they sold for more than asking price. The longer the property sits on the market, the greater the gap between asking price and selling price. At 120 days the gap is 94.7% of asking...and that would be AFTER some price reductions.

What does this mean to you?

75% of listings are overpriced. It they were properly priced the would have sold within 30 days. They don't sell until they are either priced right, or the seller lowers the price when they receive an offer.

25% of homes sold over asking within 30 days. What does it take to do that?
- properly priced home
- correctly marketed
- 10-12 showings in the first two weeks or one offer
If we do not see that result, then we lower the price, 3-5%, in order to get that amount of showing activity.

No showings, lower the price.
Showing, but no offers, lower the price.

So it is not only how many showings per week, but how many weeks on the market. The best way to see this live, as it happens, is for your Realtor to provide you with a weekly summary of market activity. You can see that the properly priced listings will sell (in Realtor -speak that means that they get an offer which is accepted) within the first few weeks.

So homes that have sat on the market for three weeks, I can show my client how many homes, like theirs, HAVE received offers that were accepted. The proof is always in the pudding.

Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
There are no standard averages as to how may showings per week--it does vary and many factors come into play when it's time to improve traffic--in today's market pricing and marketing are paramount--review data of recently sold similar properties in the immediate area and make a determination--are you priced on target for today's market, if not consider a reduction sooner rather than later--does the property show well, is it neat, clean clutter free, and what about the exterior for curb appeal--what kind of feedback have you received from the showings you had--do you have pictures posted and if so review the look, do they show off the positives, etc., your agent can best advise you, why not ask him/her this question as well.
Paula,

Simply put ..their is no answer to your question - ask the listing agent what he/she thinks is the number of viewings that they would expect on your home at the price and condition etc and share your concerns with your professional.
Good Luck
Paula that is an amazingly hard question to answer. So much goes into the consumer psyche before they walk into a house. Here is what I can tell you as a former agent in a very popular metro:

1) Price the home right - people will come!

2) Place the home online in popular sites ask your agent for reports on views - Trulia gives those for free to agents. If your home is getting a lot of views, but no visits or inquiries, that may be a sign that the home is overpriced - that would cut down on people going to see it.

3) Every market and price range is different - a 1st time homebuyer house, whose price matches FHA guidelines, etc. may get a lot more visits than a luxury home that requires 20% or more down... Not a bad thing, just makes your buyers pool smaller, so therefore less opportunity for showings.

4) make sure you hold open houses - again if no one shows up - the price may be too high, or there is little demand at the moment.

That being said, curb appeal now begins on the web. Make sure your home has great photos online, a virtual tour, etc. This will make your home more appealing to look at online. Now, the downside less people go to the house if they don't like what they see online - the good side -less waste of time showings. When someone finally does walk in, they saw a lot and are hopefully serious.

Anyway, good luck!