Marilyn Kalf…, Other/Just Looking in Huntington Beach, CA

How much value does an above ground swimming pool typically add in Southern CA.?

Asked by Marilyn Kalfus - Real Estate Reporter, Huntington Beach, CA Fri Jul 17, 2009

Answers

9
Marilyn,

I don't often see above ground pools here in Orange County as you might in other areas of the country, and I don't believe an above ground pool would add much, if any, value.

As mentioned below, your typical in ground pool adds about $5,000 and can't actually detract from the home for some buyers who are opposed to the cost and maintenance of a pool or have safety concerns for young children.
Web Reference: http://www.donovanblatt.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 8, 2009
I think in this market an above ground pool would not add much value if any. Pools that are not in top condition will subtract from the value in this market.
A swimming pool is mostly a hole to throw money in (for maintenance). Ted Turner is largest private land owner in the USA. Of all his homes, do you know how many have swimming pools? NOT ONE!
Dear Marilyn:

The "above ground" swimming pool in Southern California is not as popular as in other parts of the country. However, in ground swimming pools are a great way to add to the value of a home. Have a great weekend!
Hi Marilyn,
Sorry I missed your words above ground!! About nothing for above ground. In ground as I stated earlier
Connie
714-337-8718
Web Reference: http://ocrealtorconnie.com
Above ground, nothing really. Buyers wanting a pool will be looking for inground. Buyers not wanting a pool will look at it as a home with another project-removing it.
Hi Marilyn,
Most apprasiers have told me about $5000. That is for the average nice pool. It really depends on the pool, and if it is really done well with water falls and great hardscape, they will allow more . That kind of pool is probably about $75 grand plus. And you will get about $10-$25 fo it. If you are wanting a pool itis definately better to purchase a home with a pool that you like as it will not give you back anywhere near what it cost you to build one!
Connie Bramble
it also detracts value from people who do not want a pool.
Unless it's spectacular, it's not really going to add any value. It might make the home slightly more desireable than some of the other available properties.

Jeremy Lehman
Century 21 Beachside
Jeremy@LehmanHomes.net