Home Selling in Tinton Falls>Question Details

Biscman, Home Seller in Tinton Falls, NJ

How much to continue on a Home i plan on moving in 3-4 years?

Asked by Biscman, Tinton Falls, NJ Mon Apr 29, 2013

Well its been a number of years since I posted my question, 5 years, and I held off on the Recessed Lighting but did install the ceiling fans with lights in the 4 bedrooms. I also had a new Roof put on my house, replaced the Central Air and Furnace. Had a new 20x40 Deck installed, new Door and Screen from Kitchen to deck, 4 new doors on the 2 front entrances, and had the total downstairs painted with a decorator.

We plan on moving back to North Carolina in 3-4 years and was wondering what your take is on if I should go to the expense of replacing the 6ft fence around my backyard property. It is totally molded and was put up in 1986 I have been told.

I also had 32 trees taken out of my front yard as I was told that was the reason my lawn would not come in to my satisfaction. So I hire a landscaper and have 3 truckloads of topsoil and seed installed last Spring and 3 days after the job we got one of those 4 incr rain storms and everything got washed away. Offer credit or reinstall?

Scott Godzyk’s answer
3-4 years is a long time. If you have a need for it while you are there then by all means replace it. Fencing is unique in that it can and in some cases does not add value. It does add to desire by the buyer. No fence is better than a rotten fence unless a fence is required due to a pool , kids or pets.
Buyers are looking for nicely updated houses. Usually kitchen and bathrooms make the biggest impressions. If they are outdated and look worn, then it is time to replace them. You have done some nice updates so far which are important. Look at your whole house as a complete picture and see what you think needs to be updated.

If your fence is moldy and an eyesore, then I would recommend replacing or removing it. Look at your house and property as a whole picture. If one or more things are not satisfactory, then it is time to judge what needs to be done. I am very good at staging properties and getting them sold quickly because a well staged home brings forth emotions in buyers and gets your property sold. I would be happy to help you make decisions on what is really important to do.

I would reinstall the front yard. What a terrible disappointment you had after all the work you did. I would recommend putting in a few small trees for the proper look in a front yard. You have time for a yard to get established since you aren't moving until 3 - 4 years.
Thank you for responding.
Flag Wed May 8, 2013
If only we had a crystal ball and could tell what home prices would be in 3 or 4 years. I would suggest looking at some homes in your neighborhood and see how your home compares. As for your landscaping question, check with the company that did the work.
Thanks Laura
Flag Tue Apr 30, 2013

Thank you for the question. With out seeing the house or the comparables any work you put in the house may not come back to you when you sell. At this point since you are not ready to sell only do the work for things that you want to enjoy. When the time comes invite us realtors in for an opinion as to what other work could help you sell for more or sooner.
Thanks Andrew.....Appreciate the response.
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013