Home Selling in Winter Haven>Question Details

Hunter, Home Buyer in Evergreen Park, IL

How much faster does a 3 bedroom house sell than a 2 bedroom of the same square footage in the same area? What is the usual cost difference?

Asked by Hunter, Evergreen Park, IL Sun Feb 6, 2011

I have a home with a room that can easily be converted to 3rd bedroom and am trying to see if there would be a benefit in doing the work for a quicker home sale.

Answers

8
Hunter:

I will have to agree with all those that answered below based on my experience. However the Winter Haven area numbers reflect a different due to the range of age and size of the properties. For the last 60 days only 19 - 2 bedrooms sold compared to 85 - 3 bedrooms. Average days on market for 2's was 43 days and 65 for the 3's.

Keep in mind those numbers are affected by the long time to close short-sales and the high end homes that take longer to sell.

Tony Vega
Charles Rutenberg Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 7, 2011
Convert it for sure! I have had one of my clients with a two plus den put a closet into the "den" and now it is a bedroom. Of course, the tax records will still say two bedrooms but having that option for a 3rd bedroom is the way to go.

Three bedrooms are looked at more, sell more often than 2s. How much faster? If I could answer that with any certainty, then I would be advising kings and queens instead of kissing a lot of frogs until a prince comes along.

But with 17 sales last year under my belt, I think you can trust me to say, TURN THAT ROOM INTO A BEDROOM by simply adding a closet. If someone wants it for a den or an office, well goodie, but another bedroom is always welcomed in Florida where one ends up with more guests than envisioned.

If you have some friends who want to buy in Sarasota, I'm your gal. Please send them my way and I promise they will thank you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 6, 2011
I find that most "3-bedroom buyers" we work with are perfectly fine with a 2 bedroom home that has a bonus room that could serve as or can be converted into a 3rd bedroom.
Two bedroom homes more difficult to sell.

Even newer 55+ plus communities offer 3BR homes.
It always depends, Hunter, it always depends.
Two bedroom homes are difficult to sell even if they have a study. Two bedrooms limits the buyer market considerably. I have had a brand new Lennar home for sale for a year now that has 2 beds plus a study. Still no bites. If you can convert the room and make sure it has a closet and a window, I think it will be money and time well spent. Best of luck!
What if the room doesn't have a window. I'm trying to get my fiancé to lose the 3rd bedroom closet so we can have a walk-in closet. the third bedroom is a terrible layout without any windows. What do you think?
Flag Tue Jun 10, 2014
I just sold a 3 bedroom home that converted the loft to a 4th bedroom. As soon as this was done, the home went under agreement! It settles late in February. 3 is better tha 2 and 4 is better than 3. Iit is not so much a time factor, although it will definitely take longer, as it is to have an extra bedroom.

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Associate Broker
CARTUS Certified Relocation Specialist
Previews Luxury Home Specialist
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
215-803-3237 (mobile)
215-794-1070 x-103
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com
http://www.FrankDolski.Com
Web Reference: http://www.FrankDolski.Com
Hi Hunter,

IKEA has inexpensive closet systems.... buy one and screw it into the wall and you've got your 3rd bedroom! You should get back much more than the cost of the closet and a quicker sale. Even empty nesters want a master, a guest room and a computer/office room. Many Realtors don't bother looking for 2 bed plus a den and will only look at 3 bedrooms so this should immediately boost your showings--as long as you are priced correctly.

To price correctly, do not simply rely on a Realtor. I highly recommend you put out the $300-$350 to pay for a full appraisal from an experienced appraiser, ideally one that lives in your neighborhood.

All my best,
Alma