Home Selling in Vernon Hills>Question Details

CubbieFan, Both Buyer and Seller in Stevensville, MD

How much does it cost to hire a stager, assessor?

Asked by CubbieFan, Stevensville, MD Tue Jun 24, 2008

To stage the home for sale? We have not moved out and have all the furnitures. If it is not too costly, we would like to hire a stager. Also assessor so that we can get a better idea of what we should list our home... Thanks!!!

Answers

14
The 2nd part of your question was missed by many. Pricing the house at a fee for service appraised value is the best way to get a home sold reasonably quickly. Many deals fall apart when the sold contract price is lower than the appraisal.

Two scenarios are possible if you don't price at appraisal. First, the seller comes to find out that the home appraises for 15k less than what they thought they sold it for and need to lower the price a month after acceptance. Or the scenario where the house is over priced, gets few showings and wastes market time. Homes are going under contract in this tough market if priced right, show well and marketed effectively.

If you list with me, I will reimburse you the $300-400 appraisal costs at closing and the appraisal can be used a sales collateral for any interested buyer.

If you like my answer, best answer and thumbs up me, thanks! Call me if you care to discuss.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 2, 2011
I have a great person that will do an initial 2 hour consultation for $100 plus a formal report with suggestions for additional fee. I typically include the initial consultation of the stager at no cost to you if you were to list with me. If you already have an agent, they should be able to recommend a good staging resource from their network of people.
The appraisal question I can pay for too if you price your home within 5% of appraised value from the beginning of the listing period. We dont want to take over-priced listings, and so we credit appraisal fee at closing from commission expenses. The mortgage appraisal for the buyer is the biggest single obstacle to closing a deal once you have a contract too.

Call me if you care to discuss, Thanks!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
It's worth the cost to gain the unbiased eye of another person.
Call me if you would like a few names and I am happy to run a current market analysis for you.

John walin
847 276-0120
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 21, 2011
It seems most every stager has his/her own business model. Most will come and do an initial report/evaluation/assessment, often in the $200-$300 range. Then it varies, depending on: (1) whether you simply want to take the report and follow through on the recommendations (inexpensive, but not recommended); (2) whether the stager him/herself will do it, or hire someone else to move furniture around; and (3) whether you need any furniture or props to be provided, and whether, if you do, whether the stager has them in inventory or has to rent or buy them.

Overall, you could be looking at several thousand dollars. (Larger homes and vacant homes will cost more; smaller homes and ones with items the stager can work with will cost less.)

At this point, you probably don't need to hire an assessor. Interview three Realtors. Ask each for a CMA, look at the comps they used, and discuss that with them. You'll get a very good idea of the range in which your home will sell.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 25, 2008
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
I suggest asking your REaltor for suggestions. There is more to preparing a home for sale than "staging". You want your home to stand out. Ask someone who knows the market.
If you are selling without professional representation, I would interview three Realtors anyway, have them provide you with an "estimate of seller's net proceeds", then you make the call.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 24, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
If you could like to hire an appraiser, feel free to call me. I know an affordable and accurate person that can do the job for you. The stager can help you determine which items to take and which items to leave. We are the #1 team in Vernon Hills and can help you with everything you need. Please let me know how I can be of service to you!
We use an amazing stager named Debbie Boyle. She's $50 for a 1 hour consultation. I don't have her number on me but her e-mail is debgolfs@comcast.net Let her know Mike Stodola sent you. My clients rave about her. My quick sales pitch is that we hire her on our behalf if you decided to have us market your home. We of course do a complete pricing review with a 90 day guarantee as well. If you'd like to talk more give me a call at 847-557-1622. Otherwise I wish you the best of luck!

Mike Stodola
Web Reference: http://www.teamstodola.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 21, 2011
HI therem

Based on who you list with, this service may be included in their fee. For example, our team does provide a stager on 100% of our listings. In terms of what list price, you can have a couple of realtors in, or pay an apprasier. Remember, an appraisal is not an exact science either. It's one person's opinion of value. The true definition of market value is what a buyer is willing to pay. Let us know if we can help!

Leslie McDonnell
I am such a firm believer that the stager is the most important member of my team.
There is no reason to pay for the best photographer if the stager has not been there first.
90 % of showings are on the internet so an unstaged house is the first to be eliminated from the buyers favorites.
Anyone who lists with me gets up to 8 hours of free staging.
Molly Browe REMAX Showcase.
Web Reference: http://www.homes@molly2.com
It is really variable, depending on the size of your home and amount of furniture/accessories needed. Most stagers will provide a complimentary proposal for costs after viewing your property. It is rarely necessary to stage an entire house. Obviously, staging select rooms is less costly. Staging is a very smart marketing strategy in the current market!
Recover Top Dollar on your Appraisal!

Very few people realize that a home has to sell three times before it actually closes and the seller gets their money. The first time it has to sell is to an agent. If the agent and seller cannot agree on price the house will not go on the market. The second time is to a potential buyer. It may seem obvious but if you cannot get someone to agree that the home is worth what you are asking you will not actually sell. These days the final and most important sale is to the appraiser from the bank lending the money to the buyer. If the appraiser does not agree that the buyer is getting fair value for the home they will cost you a sale.
Low appraisals costing a home seller a deal at the last minute. When this happens the seller has to put the home back on the market (usually at a lower price) and they still may have the same situation later. How can you avoid this situation?
Consider hiring a professional stager.
Getting your home staged for an appraiser is at least as important as staging for the buyers. We counsel sellers to get as many of the physical issues taken care of prior to putting the home up for sale but it is always a good idea to get a last second look before the appraiser comes through your home so there are no surprises. If there are any safety issues they can be done before the appraiser lowers the value of the home on their inspection.
Prior to the appraiser’s visit, declutter a little more, cut the grass and take a good look at the landscaping. Keep in mind that this is the first and only time the appraiser will see your home. If the home has been on the market for a while you may have some neglect in your curb appeal.
Appraisers look for defects that the lender will need fixed prior to closing. Broken windows, torn screens, missing safety things such as window guards are all potential issues.
If you had a roof leak, make certain that you have painted any celling stains with proper paint and base coat stain killer. If the leak has been taken care of be sure to have proper documentation on hand to show that it has been properly been taken care of by a licensed contractor. The state of MN requires working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors so make sure you know the requirements for your layout and square footage.
To make certain your appraisal shows the highest value possible have a list of any upgrades, repairs or improvements you have made to the home. Your realtor will be able to provide comps for your area. The new guidelines for home mortgage appraisals means that often the appraiser is not as familiar with the area as you would like them to be.
The bottom line is that if the appraisal does not come in high enough the sale will not go through. The appraiser’s inspection is every bit as important as the buyer’s first time in to see the home. That is why staging is as important even after you have a contract on your home.
Flag Tue Apr 9, 2013
I have a great stager who will give you a consultation for $50 for an hour. She does a great job in an hour and I haven't needed to hire her for longer though she'll work with you all day if that's what you need. Also, ask an appraiser is typically $200-$300. Again I have good local appraiser who can do this with about 24 hours notice. A cheaper way is to get an good agent through. Let me know if you'd like names or numbers.
Depending on the size of your home and the company you hire, you may see fees from $200-$500. Realtors have been staging their listings for free for years, in an effort to have them look better and sell quicker/more money. My average listing clients always ask what they should do or organize to help the process.
To hire a certified real estate appraiser, you may pay from $300-$450.
You could also or instead interview 3 experienced Realtors and have them give you their opinion on pricing and the right marketing to net as much as possible.
Web Reference: http://www.realtybob.com
Youngster,

Check out ActiveRain.com to find stagers in your area. Fees vary by the level of service, as well as the service provider, but staging is a good investment which yields a high return. Remember, less time on the market is more money in your pocket!

Audrey Hoffman
Simplystage.com
Web Reference: http://www.activerain.com
There are staging companies that charge anywhere from $70 - $100 for the first hour of consultation. Sometimes when you hire them to stage your home they will drop that initial fee. The charges are according to the size of the home, how many pieces they have to bring in and the time it will stay in the house.

Happy staging.

Ulli

ulli4real@gmail.com
1 408.679.0333
Web Reference: http://www.HomesByUlli.com