Home Selling in Santa Cruz>Question Details

Alan, Both Buyer and Seller in Santa Cruz, CA

How might I attract someone who would trade their home in Santa Cruz for our home in South Lake Tahoe? We

Asked by Alan, Santa Cruz, CA Sun Jan 27, 2008

have been running it as a successful vacation rental, but now want to just relax and live in our home, but prefer life in Santa Cruz to that in Lake Tahoe.

Help the community by answering this question:


You should try placing an ad on one of the free home trading sites that actually work like Craigslist or http://www.CareToTrade.com or possibly even ebay
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 4, 2008
First, find out what your vacation rental is worth. Get a Realtor to value your Tahoe property for you, comparing it to other vacation rentals. Place the property on the market with the comments that you will trade for a home in Santa Cruz. Find a Realtor in Santa Cruz to assist you in finding a suitable home to purchase ot trade into. Consider the tax ramifications on your objective. You cannot trade an investment property for a personal residence. Consult a good CPA on this objective. You may just need to sell your rental as an investment home and not complete a "trade" in the strict IRS definition. You may need purchase a personal residence separate from the "trade" aspect. Consult, IRS.Gov for FAQ's. You may also considering listing your vacation rental as a business opportunity and list it with a business brokerage. You will need to show rental history records and a profit and loss statement to prospective buyers. Good Luck! Mike Castle, Real Estate Broker, American Dream Realty, Santa Cruz, CA License # 00620895 (831) 588-1988 http://www.mikecastle.com
Web Reference: http://www.mikecastle.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 30, 2011
Terry Ballantyne here! It has been my experience that finding one home that appeals to the complex needs of a buyer is tough.
Finding a person where both predetermined ends of the deal is a fit is even trickier.. I would hire a great
Realtor in Tahoe and look for a 1031 participant, someone searching for an income property. You place
is a proven winner and that will have a lot of appeal. Clean, simple solution that allows you to get on
with your life and 'just relax' ! Good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 20, 2008
Try to List Your Home for FREE on http://www.TradeYourHomeOnline.com, It's a new site dedicated to putting sellers together for your exact scenario.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun May 18, 2008
Hi Alan, email is acscom(no spam) at sprynet.com . Remove (no spam) and use @. - Tony
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 24, 2008
Tony, how would we contact you? I do not have your email address. Can you please post an email address here, or provide that in your profile? Will check back this weekend. Thanks!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 22, 2008
I might be interested in an exchange. Can you tell me more about it. -Tony
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 22, 2008
Alan, I think you might best achieve your objective through the use of a 1031 exchange. It will allow you to exchange your home in Tahoe (assuming it has been used for investment or income purposes) for one here through the use of a third party. There are some qualifying standards, but they are not excessive. If you'd like to hear more about how this might work for you, please e-mail or call me - see my web link below.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 3, 2008
Alan, you may also want to advertise it free on craigslist.org
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2008
You may want to start with some of the vacation home swapping sites, as well as talk to anyone who currently manages rentals in Santa Cruz to check interest. Also, try speaking with a CPA who specializes in real estate to check the tax consequences. If both parties have rentals, it may be possible to do a 1031 tax-deferred exchange.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer