Adrien Tangu…, Real Estate Pro in Marcellus, NY

How many realtors recommend a prelisting inspection to their clients?

Asked by Adrien Tanguay, Marcellus, NY Sun Jan 27, 2013

Answers

11
Great points everyone, thanks for sharing. It is a challenge to get them to order one but I think a seller is better off getting a pre-sale/listing inspection. It will really save a lot of money and problems in the end. It can cut down on big surprises that can end up killing a sale. In real estate there seems to be two kinds of math used in home repairs - buyer math & seller math. That leaky pipe or lose wire that only costs $25 to fix will double or triple in price when the buyer uses their calculator.

Dan Simon, Realtor®
Carolina One Real Estate
Direct #843-303-1464
dsimon@carolinaone.com
http://www.CharlestonHomesForYou.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 8, 2013
I ALWAYS recommend a prelisting inspection and also I give a list of items that the seller can check/repair before any home inspection is made later on in the process. This helps to avoid closing hangups.
I don't usually recommend it, but after this week, I've had 2 situations that would have been good candidates for a prelisting inspection.

It really depends on the situation, the property, and the seller, if a prelisting inspection is worth it.
I never have, and I never will.
Pre listing inspection is a great tool to sell property firster.
No, I wouldn't do that at all. Home inspectors are just too unpredictable to trust their home seller to their care. I prefer they, the home owner, be abused by the buyer's paid for inspector. Besides. the homeowner already knows the issues with the house. It is my responsibility to have the proper contingencies in place when, or if, these issues are surfaced.
-
Now, there IS an aspect to the idea that would be appealing.
There is a value added concept that would provide a real strategic advantage to the home owner, above and beyond the 'pre-inspected' statement. The report I would want would be a component of the home's back story. Positioned in this manner, the inspection will be value added not additional expense.
-
But, that would mean the inspector would have to demonstrate the agility of providing what my home seller needs, not what the inspector is selling. But, I take may hat off to this attempt at DOUBLING the potential business of the home inspections enterprise. EXCELLENT STRATEGY!

Best of success in your home purchase,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Http://RealEstateMadeEz.us
Movie tour
http://youtu.be/g1H-_ny-Mnk
I highly recommend a pre-listing inspection. This is a great tool when negotiating, assuring a higher selling price on your home. Nearly every buyer submitting an offer will add a home inspection contingency on the contract, even if you have a pre-listing inspection, they will want their own inspector/inspection.

In over 2 decades in the real estate industry, I have never witnessed a perfect home inspection, something(s) always comes up, even on new construction. Purchase contracts should stipulate a dollar amount per defect ( a figure acceptable to buyer, if the defect is under the dollar amount). If a defect is one dollar over this stipulated amount....it's time to start re-negotiating your sale price, ugh! So... why not take care of this beforehand and avoid re-negotiating your price? When problems arise during a home inspection, trust me the buyers will have the upper hand in negotiating power. Another thought, some 'less than' professional home inspectors have a way of alarming buyers instead of informing them if something substantial should arise, alarming them right out of the deal! A true professional home inspector will explain the defect, how to repair it and if there are no major problems...educate the buyers on the mechanicals etc of their soon to be new home. ALWAYS have your home prepared to bring the highest price!!

Engage Realtors to assist you in preparing your home for the market. Most real estate companies will provide you with a free Comparable Market Analysis along and share their opinions. When you meet with Brokers/Agents to present their findings, it's your chance to interview them as well and they'll share what could be done to raise the selling price of your home. I always recommend 3 seperate CMA's and interviews with Brokers/Agents & separate companies. You'll most likely recieve good input from all, but one will stand out as the most competant, prevail and list your home!
Hi Adrien.

It is uncommon for a real estate broker to recommend sellers get an inspection. Most agents are afraid of the negative reaction caused by telling the typical seller to spend money they are unwilling to spend. However, it is a wise idea because it alerts the seller of any problems ahead of time, thus giving them a chance to correct them before a buyer backs out of an offer. One caveat, any issues disclosed by the inspection that are not corrected must be disclosed upfront to any purchaser.

Michael Richman
Licensed Associate Broker
KIAN Realty NYC, LLC
450 7th Ave Suite 1501
New York, N.Y. 10123
Off: 212-757-8268 x 220
Fax: 212-239-4538
mrichman@KianRealtyNYC.com
http://www.KIANRealtyNYC.com
Adrien is the deal.

If you get a pre-listing inspection the seller client will be in a better position for negotiation ect. There is a greater discussion I will have with any of your clients if they are interested. Being that you are a home inspector I'm sure you have some clients asking you the same question. I have a very different approach than most Realtors.

P.S. I showed 8 homes in Marcellus/Skaneateles today.

Please contact me directly.
I don't know how many, Adrien, but I can tell you that I certainly do!
In seven years, I have never know none!
I certainly never would recommend it.