Home Selling in Yonkers>Question Details

Irene Guanill, Real Estate Pro in New York County, NY

How many Real Estate Agents should a home seller interview prior to selecting an agent?

Asked by Irene Guanill, New York County, NY Sun Feb 5, 2012

Does it matter?

Answers

14
Dan Tabit’s answer
Irene,
More than 2, but less than 6. Start by getting some referrals from people you know. If it's their "brother, cousin, sister, uncle or friend, be a bit wary. I recommend recent relevant experience in your area with similar homes. They must be someone you can relate to and trust.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 5, 2012
At least one after you think you've found "The one."
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 5, 2012
My magic number is 3 as we all have our opinions. Every time have a listing appointment I always ask my sellers to please interview 2 other agents regarding price and to determine which personality that best meets their needs with the caveat that if I am NOT THE ONE, I will not be offended as the relationship b/t seller and agent is most important in getting a property sold!

Francesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Associate, ePro,SREs
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931 (Direct/Cell)
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 5, 2012
As many as it takes until you feel COMFORTABLE with someone. Period.
I am confused Irene - what is the point your asking this question? Throwing it out there, letting agents answer, (some not even paying attention to the fact the question was asked by a Broker, and not a seller), and then answering the question yourself? I was even more confused by the number of agents who did not even believe in themselves enough to say, "just one - and that one agent is me, because after showing you my marketing plan Mr. & Mrs. Seller, and what I am going to do for you to get your house sold, you won't need to interview anyone else!"
no it does not matter. They all do the same. Your house will sell if it is priced right and if it has curb appeal

beware of agents telling you what you want to hear
Until you find the Realtor who honestly answers your questions. It is preferable if the agent is local and can provide references.

Remember "Bigger isn't Better"
The amount of interviews is relative. How educated on the process does the seller wish to be...use the interviews for knowledge attainment.

Interviewing to just find the right Realtor who will take care of the seller? Then the one they like should be hired.

No matter what a Realtor knows or what experience they have, the Seller would and should hire the person they like. The selling process is a long haul; sellers will "hear" better if they like their agent.
Hi, As with any other relationship the seller should be comfortable with the person they choose. I think the seller should choose the agent that does have some success but more importantly a plan to market the home. I also think the seller should choose the agent that tells them what they NEED to here rather then what They WANT to hear, just to get the listing. I've beaten out the competition a few times because I wasn't afraid to walk away from a listing that the seller wanted to grossly over price. I explained that I would be doing them a disservice to list it knowing it is over priced and it's best to do everything right from the beginning so we don't have to wish we did down the road.

Chjristopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Three is a good number in my book, but having said that I was recently in a contest where I think the seller did interview closer to 6 and since I was in the 2nd batch of 3 I am grateful that he didn't stop at 3 ;-)

A great agent supported by a forward thinking broker is a awesome thing. Selling a home is much like selling anything - there is a process and if you follow it, you'll get it done. But look for proof of success during the interview. Most brokerages teach their agents about the process - but a process means nothing if it is not implemented and aggressively pursued each and every day. In short, the agent you choose must do her job for you to succeed.

Interview - and read client testimonials - and ask for references and speak to them. You want to get beyond the promises to the track record and proven results.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
I usually suggest 3 then if needed, a couple more. When I'm choosing service providers I look for active listening, that they answer their phone or return calls within the hour, keep up with trends and technology, and have a flexible schedule.

Cathy Bureau
Broker-Owner
Green Home Realty
Hi Irene: I would interview enough so that you get a good feel for some different styles. Remember that it's your agent's job to manage the sale of your house to the other agents. Your agent will most likely not find your buyer themselves. Grand Lux Realty offers unique, customizable commissions which can help you save money in commissions. Please check our website: http://www.GrandLuxRealty.com for more information. If you want to talk, please call me at 914-273-9688. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty. BTW, we're looking for more agents & offer a 70% commission split. If you know anybody who might be interested, I'll pay you up to $1,000 each for your agent recruits.
Irene,
I would say three but keep in mind that equally important is the Broker and their level of service. Make sure that you are comfortable with your selection and that the realtor that you pick is far above the best.
I think you should interview at least 6 Real Estate Agents from your local area and two in the area you are looking to relocate.