Home Selling in Simsbury>Question Details

Pat3865, Other/Just Looking in Connecticut

How long will it take to sell? - 06070

Asked by Pat3865, Connecticut Mon Jul 6, 2009

I've never sold a home before but we're getting ready to get our house on the market and wondering about how long it will take to sell?

Assuming we do what needs to be done to make it ready to sell (i.e. power wash the exterior, interior painting where necessary, de-clutter, de-personalize, have it professionally cleaned, new kitchen appliances, refinish the hardwood floors, etc) and assuming it is priced appropriately, how long should it take to sell?

Its a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath ranch, formal dining room, family room, living room, 2 fireplaces, hardwood floors - maintenance free exterior (vinyl siding, Trex decks, vinyl windows - all done in 2003) with a new roof and chimney (done in 2008) - boiler was replaced in 2005 - house has central AC, nice large yard, patio and screened gazebo.

I know it depends upon a ton of factors, but does anyone have an idea how long a house like this in Simsbury will take to sell?

Hi...I'm a Realtor with Prudential CT Realty in the Simsbury office. I saw your post and thought I'd respond. I agree with everyone else below that you sound like a very savvy seller who is taking all of the appropriate steps to sell your home for the most money, in the shortest amount of time. Isn't that the best outcome a seller could ask for? Believe it or not, our inventory of pristine and updated homes that are priced right isn't very large in Simsbury right now. There are certainly many buyers out there...especially those who would love to take advantage of the $8000 tax credit which is currently set to expire at the end of November. I would say that is you price your home in line with other recent sales in town, your home could sell as quickly as between 1-3 months. If you'd like more specific information feel free to email or call me and I'd be happy to help in any way that I can. Good luck with everything!
Lori Meyerson
Hi Pat, it shouldn't take long to see if you price it correctly for your area, condition, style, etc. It sounds like you are doing all the right things and should see results relatively quickly. One question to ask the realtors you speak to is average days on the market for your price range. And hopefully you'll be speaking with a Prudential CT realtor, personally I think they are the best to get the job done! Good Luck with your sale! Enza Dandeneau, Prudential CT Realty, Glastonbury Office
Whoops - thats the one thing I forgot to include - we will definitely be using use an agent. I'm just trying to get some base info so I can gauge their answers when I speak to them.
Sounds like you are going to be selling without professional representation. You know, you just may be able to do it. However, only about 10% of homes are successfully sold "direct", half to the time to someone you know, half the time to someone you don't know. 90% of the time an agent lists it to sell.

My recommendations:
1. Interview at least two Realtors and have them assess your situation. Compare their proposals, then try it yourself. If it does not sell, then you can move to plan B.

2. In any given market only about 20% of homes are prepared for market, priced right, and marketed correctly. That means that 80% of LISTED homes are no prepared correctly, over-priced, and not promoted.

3. IMHO you will have to major challenges - unqualified buyers. 90% of the time the buyer that purchases your home will be represented by an agent. But 10% will not. And this for LISTED property. For owners selling on their own, the average is higher, so make sure that they buyer is really qualified.

4. Appraisals - on May first the way appraisers are hired and assigned was changed. We are having big problems with homes appraising for what we think is fair market value. Most buyers need financing, and if the appraiser says that you home is worth $20K less, either the buyer comes up, you come down, or somewhere in the middle.

Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA