My company gives a guarantee if someone signs for 6 months. The seller may fire me at any time if I do not perform a list of duties. In our contracts, I have a list of duties I am to perform.
If you're still not happy with a differenty agent, then you can ask the broker to release you from your contract, siting the sevices and duties she failed to perform. The only way out if she won't release you is to go to a lawyer.
I suggest you sit down and have a heart to heart with your agent (or new agent?) Ask her to show you a CMA and explain to you what is happening in your market. Ask to see competing homes, and see if she has any suggestions for improving your house so that it is more competitive with the homes in your neighborhood. Your agent is not just listing your home, he or she is there to guide you through the process and to be honest with you about the state of the market in your area. I hope this helps you!
To answer your question, the listing agreement you signed should outline how you can get it cancelled. In my area listings are normally for a year. However, there is a clause that states it can be cancelled 30 days after receiving a written request from the seller requesting cancellation.
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a good chance that offer is one you should have taken.
The buyer that first sees the home they purcahse sees it with a Realtor 90% of the itme. So, if you are not getting any showings, that tdoes not mean the Realtors are on vacation. It means that are showing other properties that they and their buyers perceive to offer more value.
Check it out yourself. Ask you r Realtor to provide you with a list of homes, like yours, that have sold or went into escrow since your home hit the market. You do thinik other homes have sold, don't you?
So, that being the case, the real question is this.: Why didn't the Realtor show YOUR home? Is ithe Realtor's fault? Most Realtors want to get their listings sold, so they promote them, put them in the MLS, talk with other agents? Did you Realtor suggest that you lower the price?
Homes that sell in the first 30 days of market time sell closest to asking price. Homes, in my MLS, at 120 days, sell for 93.6% of asking...that's AFTER a couple of price reductions.
In MOST cases, homes fail to sell because they are not properly priced. The market willl not let a property be sold under market value. In our market (a big time buyer's market with home values declining 20-30% this year), we have about 20% of the homes selling with multiple offers. The other 80% are overpricded and sit there. The 20% are selling in 2-4 weeks, the others are AVERAGING 140 days on the market...and loosing value because the market is declining.
One last comment on open houses..they are primarily for Realtors to attract buyers. Very few times is a home sold from an open house...not to say that they sholud not be held, but if a property is over-pricded, more open houses will not help.