Tracy, Home Buyer in 60160

How long does the MLS take to update?

Asked by Tracy, 60160 Thu Apr 3, 2008

I sent my realtor better pictures of my house to put on the MLS. She states that she did this last night and that they are showing in the realtor MLS. When I look at the MLS on various websites it is still the same without the new pictures. How long does it take for the MLS to update?

Answers

12
Tracy,
Each MLS is different depending on the company managing it. Our MLS in this area can take up to 12 hours to update sometimes. You can add some time on to that for the listing to push up to the other website. So check with your realtor to follow up and they can in turn check with their administrative people to make sure everything is in.

Larry Story
Coldwell Banker Triad
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 3, 2008
Typically, the MLS updates almost instantly.... but the websites that the public can view often take anywhere from overnight to 2-3 days.

They take their feeds from the local MLS, but depending on how often they draw the feed, can make the difference. It's rare that it's more frequently than overnight.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 3, 2008
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Our MLS can take up to 24 hours, though usually no more than a few. The photos need to be reviewed by the MLS to insure compliance with all rules and regulations before they post, nothing pornographic, etc.

After that they are fed through the IDX (Internet Data Exchange) to Realtor.com and a host of other websites which also includes other real estate company websites. This process can take many days. I tell my clients it can take a week for everything to filter out through the Internet. Also, the Internet is like the Wild West. Once the listing information gets out there we often have little or no control as to how data is formatted, which data is displayed, where it ends up, or whether all of it is accurately displayed.

I once found one of my listings inaccurately combined with information from another Realtor’s listing on a website in Poland (in Polish).
My mother updated her price with her agent on Friday. The agent handed in the price change to the office on Saturday a.m. & says it probably won't get changed on the public site (as it is the weekend) until Monday. I think that is slow. She did say she let agents know about the price change. I'm sad it''s missing the weekend.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
It updates in the MLS right away, but it does take longer for the updates to show up on various websites.
Our local MLS is updated within minutes of a new listing or when a change is made.
The MLS updates right away. When you are looking at different websites it really depends on that website and how often it updates.
Tracy,
It looks like you are in Illinois. Our MLS is MLSNI (Multiple Listing Service of Northern Illinois) and it uploads photos, changes, etc. immediately. Have your agent send you a copy of your listing via email through the MLS and you should be able to see the changes.
As others stated, as far as uploading to other sites outside the MLS, it can take a couple of days for it to feed.
Good luck on your home sale!
Hi Tracy,
I'm assuming you're in Illinois and for your pics to upload to various sites will take a couple of days. They immediately go on the mls, but as explained below, they use "feeds" and they can take a little time. For example, on realtor.com, I have posted pics on the mls and some took one day, while others took a few days. Good luck on your sale, the market is picking up!
Web Reference: http://www.idamccarthy.com
In the MLS Realcomp in Michigan you can upload pictures instantly, but since other websites take those same photos and manipulate them for their own sites the time for those to be changed is more like 12 to 24 hours. To make sure the best pictures are used in featuring your property make sure your agent has access to Realtor.com and can manually manipulate and download photos onto it directly. That way you can ensure the best and most up to date pics are used to feature your property.
It generally takes about 15 minutes to sweep and update.
While I am in Charlotte, NC, I believe all MLS systems update in real time... immediately.