Dan, Both Buyer and Seller in 27534

How long does the FHA require I own a home before I can sell it ?

Asked by Dan, 27534 Wed Mar 31, 2010

I was recently told that the FHA had relaxed their home ownership times from 90 days down to 30 days, is this correct ?

Answers

3
Danny,

Below is helpful information that I found on the web. Looks like good news but there are some requirements. See below....

On January 15, 2010, FHA made some changes to the June 7, 2006 anti-flipping policy on property flipping.

For the past 3 1/2 years HUD has not allowed the resale of a property within 90 days due to flipping concerns. While the initial intent was to prevent the rapid escalation of the price of homes through questionable flipping of properties, it is now hindering the sale of homes since prices have fallen and more properties are the subject of foreclosure.

While there were several exemptions to the rule, almost all applied to Banks and Financial companies. This change will directly impact the small investor who buys properties cheaply and repairs them for resale.

Currently many HUD or Lender Repo's are sold "As Is" without warranties or repairs. Many of the foreclosed homes are purchased by investors who have the means to repair the homes but may not purchase the homes due to the 90 day holding requirement to sell to a new FHA Buyer and the cost and risks associated. These buyers have to account for the longer holding time and potential risk of vandalism. Thus the homes tend to sit vacant longer and hinders community stabilization and revitalization.

Beginning February 1, 2010, sellers that meet the new requirements may be able to sell the property prior the old 90 day rule. The sales must be an arms length transaction. The seller must hold title to the property (i.e. no double closing). There must not be prior evidence of flipping on the property and special rules apply if the increase from the sellers purchase price the buyers purchase price is greater than 20%.

This is a positive change from HUD. Homes may stay vacant less and buyers have more options. These transactions will be under more scrutiny but they can now get completed.

The full guidelines of the new FHA Anti-Flipping Rule is available though the link below.
http://www.fhainfo.com/education_downloads/waivpropflip2010.pdf

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!

Gina Storeholder
Licensed in NC & SC
704-299-5254
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 31, 2010
Okay I see where I went wrong with my question, let me try again.

We have bought, renovated and resold many homes over the last several years, we have always not accepted FHA loans due to their requirement that we needed to own the home for at least 90 days prior to selling and fortunately have never owned one for more than 60 days.
I was recently told by an agent that FHA has decreased their ownership before reselling requirements down to 30 days and that we should consider accepting a buyers offer (buyer is using FHA). Is this correct ?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 31, 2010
You can sell it right away.

It depends on the financing that the buyer is getting, not what kind of loan you have.

Fred Glick
Web Reference: http://fglick.com