Sara Elisa, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

How long do I have to move out if landlord decides to sell the house?

Asked by Sara Elisa, Chicago, IL Mon Nov 11, 2013

Answers

7
Please check your lease, talk to an attorney if you have one and know your rights...
Very important!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 1, 2013
The landlord can sell the house while you are the tenant. This does not change the terms of your lease.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 1, 2013
Hi Sara, If the owner sells the house, your lease is transferred to the NEW OWNER. It is Florida Law.

Patricia Salerno
Here in Florida it will de determined by your lease agreement. If you are on a month to month basis (usually what happens if the lease has expired) you will get 30 days. Other wise you will have until the end of your lease. If the home gets sold, the new owner must allow you to finish the remaining of the lease. They may offer to let you out early or to buy you out, but you are under no obligation to accept either.

Here is an article that will inform you of the changes in the law for 2013 regarding landlords and rental properties. > https://www.ezlandlordforms.com/articles/laws/316/florida-re…

Was this answer helpful? If so please click on "best answer" or on the "green thumbs up".

Tony Vega
Antonelli Realty
It depends on your lease agreement.
I would have a conversation with the owner. If he sells the property any new owner would have to honor the lease. The lease runs with the property.
Please contact me if I can help.

James Loftis
954-261-3361
Real Estate 911 Inc Broker/Owner
RealEstate911.com
RealEstate911@gmail.com
Hi Sara,
As long as you comply with your lease' terms (you do have a Lease, right?),
a new owner/buyer MUST honor your Lease; If, however, you are on a month to month rent agreement, you have 30 days, once officially notified by your owner/landlord (as per my own experience)....

****Did you like this post? If so, please click Green thumb. Thank you!

With enthusiasm,

Meir Aloni & Team

CRS (Certified Residential Specialist)

CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)

RECS (Real Estate Cyberspace Society)

Successfully selling Broward County since 1986!
Hi Sara, If the owner sells the house, your lease is transferred to the new owner. It is Florida Law. But if your lease has already expired and you were on month-to-month basis, you will get 30 days.
Flag Thu Nov 14, 2013