Leasara, Home Owner in Chicago, IL

How likely is this to affect my ability to sell my house in the future?

Asked by Leasara, Chicago, IL Fri Jun 15, 2012

Chicago Plumbing code allows for water to be transported through either Galvanized Iron or Copper pipe. Just about anywhere else I could use PEX tubing. I need to re-plumb a sink and two hose bibs in my garage and I wanted to use PEX even though it's currently not up to code here, but I don't want to give myself a headache in the future when we sell the place 5 years in the future.

Answers

9
Hi Leasara,

Absolutely save yourself the future headache and get it done right the first go around. It's a no brainer.

Also, consider when you do resale not only will it show as a violation but the prospect buyer is going to offer less than your asking because now he/she will have to deal with the headache and out of pocket expense.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 16, 2012
Just a question: How is the prospect buyer going to know there is PEX installed? Are they going to grab a sledge hammer and start taking walls down? When I bought my house I saw that my water heater and some other fixtures were done with copper. I said that's great, another selling point to buy this house. Guess what? A few years later while doing some remodeling I realized the SOB seller, who was also the broker had paid the inspector not to tell me that the entire house used very old and corroded galvanized pipes for both waste and water behind the walls, with small copper extensions protruding from the walls to make the prospect buyer (me) believe the house had copper plumbing all around. So my advice is use PEX because it is a superior material. It's cheaper, flexible, easier to install, easier to repair, much more resistant to freezing temps, a great product provided it is installed properly, which is true with anything. Don't believe union plumbers AND/OR misleading house brokers
Flag Thu Jul 3, 2014
Leasara,

Codes are not meant to be broken.

Please please have the work done up to current codes. For two important reasons:

1. Failure to have the work done in accord with city codes could affect your homeowners coverage. Let's say a pipe was to burst and you get a flood in your home that causes damage to your flooring and walls. Your home owners insurance will send an adjuster out. If the adjuster determines you had pipes that are not up to code, they could actually use that as a rational to deny covering your loss.

2. If you for anyreason want to sale in the future you will have a mess on your hands. Maybe the requirement for the iron /copper has some health and safety implications. Maybe the water pressure in your part of town is too high for PEX tubing. If your buyer does an inspection and finds out you have PEX tubing , the deal could l fall apart or the buyer could insist you re-do the plumbing with the correct pipes.

I always stress to my clients, when it comes to: plumbing, roofing, or electrical work NEVER cut corners and alwasy follow the codes even if they do not make sense.

Best of Luck to You!!!

Kawain Payne, Realtor,
Yeah, realtors are the scum of the earth. All you care is to make the sale not ensure the new buyer has a decent home to put his family in. Just like my realtor did he deceived me any way he could, what a SOB! I say PEX is superior to copper for many reasons, and the waning power of unions will eventually allow for more flexible codes in the near future. I'd do PEX in a heartbeat!
Flag Thu Jul 3, 2014
go cheap.. you need to learn this lesson
If you don't want the headaches in the future then take the medicine NOW and as Spike Lee said "Do The RIght Thing."
The City isn't going to allow PEX any year soon. Don't gamble by installing it. If you do it will come up as a defect during the sale. You'll end up losing the deal, giving the buyer a credit, or replacing it. But then again, yo may bet lucky and your buyer might hire one of the checkbox idiot inspectors and it won't be a problem.
Material cost for a sink and hose bibs won't be more than a couple hundred dollars. If you have some tools already and the runs aren't long, should only be $100+. If you don't have the know how that's another issue.
You already know the right answer!

Follow your instincts!!
Save a buck now, pay for it double in the future. Do it the right way from the get go.
How much more expensive can it be to use copper for that little of a task? Do it the right way as an inspection will easily pick up the code violation.
I'm not concerned with the dollars and cents, more with the physical expenditure. I'm disabled now and PEX is much easier to work with. If I can save myself some pain and exhaustion without gumming up a future sale I'd like to, but from the sound of things I'm better off staying within code.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Flag Fri Jun 15, 2012
Gosh, it really sounds like you are answering your own question:

Do you think?
Well, having built houses but never owned one before, I thought it would be prudent to ask professionals who deal in the business of buying and selling real-estate and find out if things work the way I think they do before committing to the extra work it's going to take to rip out and install new galvanized pipe. Being disabled, if I can saved myself some pain and effort by going with PEX without causing problems in an eventual sale, I would much rather have gone that route.
Flag Fri Jun 15, 2012