Home Selling in Valhalla>Question Details

Bought In 20…, Other/Just Looking in Valhalla, NY

How is Valhalla house prices doing? Does it help that it is so close to WhitePlains?Has it declined a lot

Asked by Bought In 2005, Valhalla, NY Thu Jun 26, 2008

How is Valhalla house prices doing? Does it help that it is so close to WhitePlains?Has it declined a lot from what it was in 2005?

Answers

6
The lower aspect of Valhalla or area closer to the town and Dam is not doing well as far a price valuation, which has fallen drastically since 2005- just look at what has sold recently in this area.

I would consider White Plains instead. In my opinion, taxes are much higher in Valhalla as opposed to White Plains, and the City services are second to none. The closeness to all shopping areas along with better property valuation make this area a better choice. As an investor, I would never return to Valhalla as this once quiet and quaint Hamlet is no more.
Every property owner looks for different reasons at Valhalla, it could be taxes, schools, quiet neighborhood or as you said closiness to White Plains City. If you mutiply the price of a property in 2005 by 0.55 you may get the price of that property today. Hey, we may gradually go to that home price boom in 5 years.
I have personally dealt with people who were looking in Valhalla. Their prime reason for looking in that area was because of its close proximity to White Plains. I have to say that White Plains is becoming the NYC of Suburbia. It's extreme growth during recent years reminds me a lot of the rapid development that occured in Stamford years ago. There are now people buying in areas outside of Stamford because they have to commute into Stamford every day. Let's face it...it's all about location! Speaking of Stamford and Valhalla, don't forget that the company Select Telecom, Inc. moved from Stamford to Valhalla in 2005. This was rather big news in the area. This could certainly have had an impact on the housing impact in Valhalla at that time...
Prices in general have dropped about 3.9% on average from a year ago. Price can vary on a number of things such as condition and upgrades you have made since you bought the home in 2005.

Are you looking to make a move to a larger or smaller home, are you just looking to get a valuation or are you looking to refinance. A home is not a stock that is traded on a regular basis. Your home may or may not have gone down in value.Generalizations are dangerous.

If you need more specific information or a market analysis I would be pleased to assist you. I can be reached either by email or phone at sgeiger@houlihanlawrence.com or 914-263-5275.

Steve Geiger
Associate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence, Inc.
Valhalla, like all Real Estate is suffering a set back. Come into my office in White Plains- 120 Bloomingdale Road Suite 101 and let us do a Market Anaysis and neighborhood report for you so you know where you stand. Or just e-mail me and we will come to you. Good Luck
I've done the stats for Valhalla, which are as follows:

10595 Real Estate Prices

Total Closed Sales (past 12 months) 39 +8.33% (prior period)
Average Sales Price (past 12 months) $607,506 -5.84% (prior period)
Median Sales Price (past 12 months) $575,000 -2.71% (prior period)
Average Days on Market (past 12 months) 147 -102.31% (prior period)

The local market has seen less properties on the market and continues to be a buyer's market.