California M…, Real Estate Pro in Oceanside, CA

How important is the door to the appearance of a home to the buyer?

Asked by California Mortgage Broker, Oceanside, CA Mon May 14, 2007

Answers

17
Making a good first impression is critical in getting your home sold. Buyers often "drive by" a home before making a decision to view it. Be sure to make your door welcoming to buyers.
Vincent: I love your front door story! It's all about first impressions. If the client is turned off before ever entering the home, there is little chance for an offer.
Roberta Murp…, Real Estate Pro in Carlsbad, CA
Brian, I think this is like a good suit. Wear a good suit into a meeting and no one notices... it's expected. Wear a bad one and you might as well not go. It's hard to get past a bad first impression.
You only have one chance to make a first impression. At the very least, the door should be freshly painted, have a well working lock on it (there is nothing more frustrating for an agent than fiddling with a broken lock while trying to show a home) and be neat and tidy in appearance. I have used close ups of doors in my marketing pieces when they are exceptionally nice looking because I think they are that important.
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
Not important at all. Easy to change after buying. Cave Beast
Hot button! I am adamant that my sellers have a freshly painted or oiled, in the case of wood, door. I make sure that the key glides in and out and that the lock doesn't in any way stick. There is nothing worse than trying to show a house and the door sticking or looking awful! It's the first impression that they see the longest.
Web Reference: http://www.ChrisTesch.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2007
You lose a few potential buyers if you have "shmootz" or fingerprints on the door, door handle and/or molding. Anywhere your hand touches should be clean. Dog nose and paw marks should be scrubbed clean. Even though that can be a daily chore. Speaking of dogs, don't forget to clean up the doggie door flaps too!

Heather & Steve Ostrom
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 18, 2007
Steve Ostrom, Real Estate Pro in Roseville, CA
The appearance of the front door and entry way is very important. Walking up to the home sets the tone of what they will expect to see when they enter. A home could be very nice on the inside, but if the entry way is not maintained nicely, then a potential buyer(s) will enter with their eyes peeled, looking for every little defect. I recommend sweeping, removing any spider or cob webs, replacing or repairing any defects in the walkway, sprucing up your front door lighting and painting the front door a bright attractive color; drawing buyer(s) in.
Best of luck,
Melissa Mancini, Realtor, CBR, GRI
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 17, 2007
I'm going to have to agree with Mitchell. In fact, a recent client of mine had his home on the market for months, while we were generating a decent amount of traffic. He decided to invest $14,000 to the front door area of his home and within 5 showings, we accepted an offer!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 14, 2007
The front door is the first impression so I believe this is very Important to maintain a nice and clean appearance
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 14, 2007
If you think yours needs to go...it does. Spend a few hundred dollars already! For more candid advice ask a true pro, Joe Fasone 203-772-5712
The door makes a statement for the entire home before you enter.
I personally think it is critical. I look at about 30 homes a week. The front door says a lot to me personally. Watch the photo scroll on the front page of my site if you would like to see some 150 year old totally awesome front doors.
I think a well manicured lawn and a pristine entry are critical.
Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
It is the invitation into the home and the first impression.
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in Danville, VA
You know that saying, "you only get one chance to make a good first impression?" Well in this market typically you are competing with at least 9 other homes so every little bit you do can really make your home stand out in the end.
kind regards,

Alisha Gunraj
Keller Williams Associate, Serving Fairfield County
Phone:203-554-4481
Website:AlishaSellsHomes.net
Email:AlishaSellsHomes@kw.com
Satisfying Needs & Exceeding Expectations!
The front door is the first impression a buyer gets of your home.... so make sure is clean, looks cared for (no broken handles or chipped up paint) You want the buyer entering your home with a positive attitude. It is also important that the Buyer’s agent who is opening the door does not have to stand there and fight with you locks >> so make sure they are working well. Nothing worse than stumbling around to open the door at 10 below zero (yes they sell homes there too ~};>)