Home Selling in Cincinnati>Question Details

Trent Warner…, Real Estate Pro in Cincinnati, OH

How important is a sign in the front yard when we have all this technology?

Asked by Trent Warner Monopoly Builder, Cincinnati, OH Sun Oct 31, 2010

Answers

15
If Real Estate were made up of 5 senses a sign with an audio tour would make up at least two, remember the neighbors in the area all have someone they would like to live in their neighborhood

Darrell Brandenburg - trulia pro
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 31, 2010
I am not sure why my post showed up twice, sorry.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 31, 2010
When buyers were surveyed (nationally for the last 10 years) about where they first found the home they actually bought, the sign was (#3 after 2005 and #2 before 2005) at 12%-15% with 12% being the most recent. It is losing it's importance.

First was always a Realtor and second (since 2005) was the Internet. This year Realtors and the Internet tied at 36% each.

Still the sign is important. I have my cell number instead of the office number on the sign because I feel it is important for a prospective buyer to speak to someone who really knows the home.

To take advantage of all the technology, I also have a phone number with a recorded message about the home and a text number that will return info to the buyer. Most people don't really want to speak to an agent, they just want information.

This way they can get the info 24/7 and get it the way they want it. On the recorded phone message, they also have the option of pressing a key to be connected directly to me in case they have additional questions or want to make an appointment and an option to press another key to have the info sent to their phone by text..
Web Reference: http://JimSellsHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 31, 2010
When buyers were surveyed (nationally for the last 10 years) about where they first found the home that actually bought, the sign was (#3 after 2005 and #2 before 2005) at 12%-15% with 12% being the most recent. It is losing it's importance.

Web Reference: http://JimSellsHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 31, 2010
It depends on the neighborhood. There are some areas where a sign will get calls, and other areas that the sign only identifies the property for the drivebys who got the info off the internet. Here on Cape Cod, we have a lot of "Off Cape-ers" who look online and then come for a driveby. If there is no sign, they will have trouble locating the property sometimes.
In most cities, people who know the neighborhood already take advantage of signs to identify properties for sale. Most buyers these days only use signs to help them get to know area properties. Once they have narrowed their search to an area, they aquire a broker and look with that broker. Having a broker bird-dog for you when you are serious about buying helps you find a great property. I often sell homes that either have no sign, or are not in MLS, or both. I happen to know they are available or becoming available, and I also know people who are looking for that type of property and location. Pleasantly bringing the two together is the rest of my business.
Technology is only one part of buying and selling real estate. Professionals still make the best deals happen.
Trent,

Many good answers below as to why signs are still very important in the marketing of a home. There are still a lot of potential buyers out there who are not using today's technology, nor do they want to! A couple of other points to add:

1. Some buyers don't know they are buyers/looking until they see a house that they love that has a SIGN in the front yard.

2. Signs are also very important marketing tools/branding for the company and the agent. When potential clients see your companies signs all over town then they know that you are the "best" company in town! When potential clients see your name on your signs all over town then they know that you are the "best" agent in town and will call you for all of their Real Estate needs!

Good luck to you!

-Sonja Fellman, Realtor
Cape Cod, MA
sfellman@kinlingrover.com
A sign is very important because it provides what may be the most important information about a home---the location. One can look on a map, follow directions, or use Google Earth, but seeing where the home actually is and how it shows, and what is really next door or across the street, the noise level or the immediate area, etc, etc. either interests or eliminates a buyer.
You'd be amazed to find out how many buyers still drive a neighborhood to find a home. Not just any sign, but a good, attractrive sign! Reflective so they can read the phone number in the dark!
WE have all this technology, but all buyers do not, and even those who have it don't use it well.
Yes the internet is the main resource, not the entire resource.
Neighbors drive by and they may have wanted to live in that house, move up or move down.
Family members wanting to live near by.
Out of town visitors.
Others who were not thinking of moving.
It is also important as a cross marketing to other listings, you put one sign on one property and it draws to another property, that is a win-win for your client as well.
Web Reference: http://terrivellios.com
A sign is always important because it captures drive-by attention and puts your property top-of-mind for all who view it. It works like an involuntary response in that cars/viewers are forced to see it without ever making a cognizant effort to do so regardless if they are in the market to buy or sell.
The old sign in the yard is still vital. I think technology replaces daily newspaper advertising though and my checkbook is very grateful for that fact. But, buyers still drive through neighborhoods and even though an agent may have passed over your listing, their buyer may find it that way.

BTW - Jim, you can go back and edit or delete the post as long as you are not using the mobile version.
Web Reference: http://MintProperties.net
Even with all the technology available to realtors, some tried and true methods of selling property still work well. Signage is one of them. I've gotten lots of inquiries just from a for sale sign in front of a property. I wouldn't overlook it.
Web Reference: http://www.DesariJabbar.com
I think it is still important. When listing a property is a good way to advertise to the neighbors, those that might not be looking to buy but know of someone that is, that there is a house in their area that is for sale or help draw buyers in during open houses. When working with buyers, even with a GPS in the car, it still helps having the sign in front to find the right house quickly.I have had many buyers that have driven by a property with a sign out front and contact me to see that particular house. And as an agent, I think it helps with branding.
Thank you for your question about whether or not a for sale sign in the front yard of home for sale is still necessary given the many other ways to market a home to potential buyers.

Whether or not a home for sale needs a for sale sign in the fron yard depends on the property. An aggressively priced property in a great neighborhood does not because it will sell fast on its own. A property that is less desirable benefits from the sign in the yard by attracting attention.