Vicki Edwards, Home Seller in West Lafayette, IN

How important are walk-in closets when it comes to selling your home? We are remodeling our master bath and

Asked by Vicki Edwards, West Lafayette, IN Sat Oct 4, 2008

in doing so I came up with a plan that would give us a walk-in closet for every room. Do you think it would make our 3 bedroom ranch more attractive to buyers?

When remodeling and working with a specific area of square footage it always comes down to trading off what is less important for what is more important.

If your decision to add walk-in closets is going to seriously decrease the size of your living space and make it feel cramped or too small, it is our advice to scrap the walk-in closet plan and stay with the arrangement you have. People are more accepting of the more traditional closet space than being inconvenienced by a lack of floor space.

God luck with your renovation project,

The "Eckler Team"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 4, 2008
i definately agree as well, that as long as you are not taking from the size of the room, it is more important to be able to fit the bedroom furniture than be all closet.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 4, 2008
Hi Vicki,

I agree with Erik. I would add that if you dont have room to do a walkin, then at the least, add some nice (not wire) closet organizers to best utilize the space you have. That little extra punch adds up, especially if its in each bedroom closet. Make sure your master bath has 2 vanity sinks. The biggest complaint I hear, even in some of the new construction is the lack of 2 sinks in the master baths.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 4, 2008
If you have the room to do a walk-in without making the bedroom appear small then by all means do it. Every feature, or amenity you can use as a selling point will help. Now if putting a walk-in closet means you can't fit a queen size bed in the room and move around comfortably then forgo the walk-in and just get a closet done.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 4, 2008