Julia Caarota, Home Buyer in

How effective are Open Houses?

Asked by Julia Caarota, Thu Feb 9, 2012

Our realtor has had one almost every weekend for the last several months with no sale. It seems like a waste of time and I have heard only a very small percentage of houses sell from an Open House.
What is the real story??

Answers

7
Check this out and http://www.realtor.com/basics/sell/listadvert/openhouse.asp?…

I hope it helps.

Erica Texada
Mersal Realty
214-680-4566
It sure shows that your Realtor is committed to helping you market the home, which is great. Open houses are good for new buyers, or people not yet committed to buying, so they can peek inside lots of homes without wasting an agents time if they aren't ready to buy.

Doing continuous open houses (or anything else for that matter) without more activity or any offers is silly. Make sure to evaluate your listing price and your competition with your Realtor every week or so.

Opens every week ALONE won't sell your home. More needs to be done in my opinion. Make sure you talk with your agent.
Hello Julia,

In today's market I would use the kitchen sink approach. Meaning EVERYTHING when trying to sale a home and yes that includes open houses.

Open houses can be effective. As an agent you have to get the word out about the open house before hand. Mailings, flyers and Web based advertising are great tools to inform the public about an up coming open house.

Then the home has to be staged right. It must look appealing inside and out. Buyers want to see a home they can see themselves moving in right away. They do not want to view a fixer at an open house. Think eye candy all the way. During an open house your home is on display for likely buyers. Make your home shine during the open house.

The agent should partner with a lender and have mortgage information on hand at the open house.

Best of luck to you,
Kawain Payne, Realtor
714-293-1151
I find them very effective in East Aurora NY, & Orchard Park NY nothing better then a great house and few treats and a real estate professional like myself Amy Pfister with a big smile to greet you
You pay your real estate agent for this service so I am ready to sell !!!
best place to sell it ... Your Home is a OPEN HOUSE!!!
Call me if you need anything .... Your Agent in Action in Buffalo NY 716-830-6689
Web Reference: http://WWW.AMYPFISTER.COM
Julia, my experience is much different with weekend Open Houses. For the rare opportunity of finding that needle in a haystack, you open your property up to anyone who comes in with a name and phone number. You the home owner are inconvenienced for 3-5 hours, your agent has given up their entire day because there is at least 1 hour prep time and 1 hour finish time. So in reality a 1-4pm Open is actually 11:30-5:00PM.

There is the security aspect of letting complete strangers in your home, that give us phony information. Unqualified bored people, nosy neighbors. If you want to test the theory I present, contact all the agents who had a weekend Open house and ask if the home sold as a direct result of having that property open to the public. Less than 1% would have sold, because of Re-sale property Open Houses. I have had over 100 in my career and that is about the percentage that bought my listing from walking through that Open House.

New construction is different as many possible buyers like to walk in on their days off, usually weekends and have the time to spend for that purpose. Have only pre-Approved buyers come through your home. There may be fewer but at least it won't be because they can not afford your property. Agents like Opens because they hope to find additional buyers to work with, and many are successful in converting these walk-ins to future business, just not your house.

That is the real story Julia.

Best of Luck in selling your home,

Rob
Julia,

The real story is that selling anything is that it's all about visibility...simply stated, the more people that know about the opportunity that exists, the better the chances of finding a buyer. There is no way of predicting where your buyer will come from but we do know that open houses do generate interest. We and many others have sold homes at open houses....it does happen.

Essentially the real value for open houses is that they introduce the seller to new customers that expand their sales potential....but you cannot dismiss the fact that an open house does have the potential to create sales activity.

Hi Julia,
I have had people walk in and buy the property at an open house. Granted it is rare but then again you are only looking for one buyer. You never know.