Summer, Both Buyer and Seller in Cary, NC

How easy is it to switch realtors in the triangle NC area? We'll pay a penanlty, but if necessary is it a quick process?

Asked by Summer, Cary, NC Fri Oct 2, 2009

Our agent has made so many errors that we have lost all confidence and trust.

Answers

11
Tammi Knapp’s answer
I can only answer for my company, which is we guarantee your satisfaction. Therefore, you may fire your agent if you are not 100% satisfied. That is unless you have a sales contract in place.
Please keep in mind when considering the answers that no other Realtor can/should consult you on if or how you can terminate your current listing agreement. Especially if they have no idea the contents of the listing agreement you are currently in. It is a violation of the REALTOR code of ethics. When considering another Realtor to represent your interests when selling your home please keep that in mind. It is important to find an experience agent that is educated in and practices all aspects of the industry.
Web Reference: http://www.Realtor.org
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 2, 2009
Are you buying or selling? If you are buying & selling, I would, as others have mentioned, go back to the agent and tell them that the relationship isn't working out. In most situations the agent would understand. If you are already under contract it will be a lot more complicated.
It sounds like you are having a problem with your listing agent. Some firms will try to keep you in the listing contract, because they have the right to be paid the commission if it sells during a specified time period. Most firms will terminate the listing without any charge or any hastle, because they do not want to work with people who do not want to work with them. Most of my business is from repeat and referral clients, and my current clients are the ones who will be sending me future business. If the trust is gone, not only am I not working well for them, they are not working well for me.

So, my listings have an "easy exit" clause where the client can terminate it at no cost. No one has ever terminated using that clause, but you should have that comfort and the agent should have that confidence in their service.

Like the other agents say, you should talk with your agent about these issues. You will probalby find it is quick and easy. If not, you may want to consult an attorney, as the agent may have breached the contract with the problems you have had, so you could force a termination of the contract.
Like Mike said this could take minutes to do but you first need to discuss this with your current Realtor and see what if any penalties they may have included in their listing agreement with you. I have managed 100's of agents and personally sold over 1500 homes. There are many different clauses in that agents can and have included in their listing agreements pertaining to termination. If you read the listing agreement you will find information pertaining to the termination of the agreement. You may also find it helpful to speak with your agents broker in charge since the company is the actual listing firm for your listing. As a broker in charge myself I am often offering additional ideas to my agents on way to market a home more effectively.

If you have any further questions should you terminate your agreement feel free to contact me.
If you are not satisfied with an agent or a firm, you need to just tell them that you want out of your contract, you can withdraw your listing and re-list with another agent.
Your current broker should let you out of the listing(?) agreement if it is not working out with you. why would they want to work with someone who doesn't want to work with them? That has happened to me before and the current listing agent released the contract without any penalty or problem. Try to reason with your current broker and they should release you without any issue. Most good realtors would!
We are on the selling end of this problem, not the buying...
Have you tried discussing the issues with the Realtor personally or with his/her broker in charge? Sometimes clients become disappointed because expectations weren't outlined and discussed at the beginning of the agency agreement. If after discussing it with your current Realtor you still don't feel that it's a good match, you have the option of terminating the agency agreement in writing (there's a specific form that has to be filled out and signed by all parties that terminates the current agreement with the agent's firm). If the company is large enough, you may also decide to use the current company but request another agent from within the firm. I hope everything works out for you. If you're unsure of penalties (I'm not sure what additional terms and conditions you may have written in to your listing agreement), you can contact a real estate attorney for advice. Good luck and have a wonderful weekend!
You should discuss with your Realtor and hopefully he/she will either fix the problems or agree to let you out of your exclusive Buyer's agency agreement. If you did not sign such a document, you are under no legal obligation to your Realtor and may switch as you'd like.
Web Reference: http://craigfox.PruYSU.com
Summer,
I am sorry to hear of your problem.
Have you discussed the issue with your current Realtor?

Engaging a new agent can be done in minutes, although a good interview will extend the time, but often it is best if the current relationship can be salvaged.
Web Reference: http://www.MikeJaquish.com