Home Selling in Wheaton>Question Details

Homebuyer, Home Owner in Wheaton, IL

How does resale for a 3bdr compare to that for a 4bdr? What factors improve or hurt resale for a 3bdr?

Asked by Homebuyer, Wheaton, IL Sat Oct 10, 2009

Answers

3
The resale prospects for a 3 bedroom are more limited than that for a 4 bedroom home. More people need or would be happy to have the extra space for a guest room, office, den play room etc. even if they did not need the extra bedroom. I think the problem for people trying to sell 3 bedroom homes today, is there is a lot of price competition from 4 bedroom homes. If you are buying a home and are sitting of the fence, over buying a 3 or 4 bedroom home, I would opt for the 4 bedroom. It will give you better resale prospects. I will be happy to provide some comps of homes currently on the market in Wheaton, if you like, please feel free to contact me at Mark@Pushpinrealty.com. Or visit our website and search for yourself.
Web Reference: http://pushpinrealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 10, 2009
It's a matter of preference to a buyer. Most homes are 3 or 4 bedrooms. A 3 bedroom home will have one value and a 4 bedroom home will have another. When comparing the two, a price difference will be taken into consideration for the extra bedroom. A 3 bedroom home needs to be compare to other 3 bedroom homes when deciding value. What will affect it is what it has to offer against the other 3 bedroom homes.

A 4 bedroom home will probably have more value in most cases, but it's really what a buyer can afford that will make them choose between the 3 or 4 bedroom. They may want a 4 bedroom but their budget will only allow them to purchase the 3 bedroom.
All things being equal, the 4 bedroom is more house for the money. Assuming the homes are located in the same neighborhood, have the same number of bathrooms, and are in the same condition. A typical family of 4 people, may find the extra bedroom, very convenient. However, no 2 homes are the same. Try to look at the homes objectively: floor plan, lot size, neighborhood, condition....everything.

Robert Greenblatt
Keller Williams