judiechristi…, Home Seller in Hayward, CA

How does a neighbor running mental facility or group home affect the selling price of my house?

Asked by judiechristine, Hayward, CA Mon Sep 16, 2013

I have to unlicensed mental facilities next to my home. That is a max of 32 residents. They are put there by the county with no supervision. If I sell my house how will this affect the price?

Answers

4
The reason you've had only two responses to your question - is because you're speaking of a protected class under Federal Fair Housing. This is the statement which appears on national posters:

It is illegal to Discriminate Against Any Person Because of Race, Color, Religion, Sex,
Handicap, Familial Status, or National Origin.

Fair Housing is such a big issue, states have added additional verbiage and protections! If you read the law for California, it will likely contain more language.

If you feel your neighbors are not receiving proper care, please report this to the appropriate city, county, or state authorities.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 20, 2013
A permit is normally required for the type of facility described. Zoning and uses surrounding your property can affect the value. For example, a single family use next door to an industrial use will likely be worth less than one next door to other single family uses, all other things being equal. One next door to permanent open space will likely be worth more. If your believe the use next door is not permitted or is inconsistent with the established zoning report it to the County Planning Department and request an inspection. Also when buying property next door or close to existing vacant land it is really important to check proposed land uses and zoning for that vacant land to determine its future use and analyze the affect on the future potential value of your property.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "unlicensed". It sounds like you live next door to apartment-type facilities that happen to house disabled adults. If they truly are mental health facilities, it's reasonable to assume that prospective buyers may be concerned about the impact this may have on their quality of life. There is much you do not say: are the residents causing problems? Are they having any kind of negative impact on the neighborhood as a whole? Without knowing a lot more details, it's almost impossible to say what kind of affect it will actually have.
I think it would be discrimination to say that the value of your home would be affected by these circumstances.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105